Is This Still A GT40 Site ?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Do we remain a GT40 forum or are we diversifying to other kit forms ??

The older school appear to be moving on to other things and there seems to be more posts concerning alternatives and generalities rather than 40s

Maybe the old British clubs are heading for extinction ?

Examine please.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Excluding the Paddock section, I think we are still high 99% GT40 and related subjects. Long may it continue.

As to British clubs going extinct, doesn't that depend on devolution for you? I don't expect that to happen just yet.

Ron Earp

Admin
Far as I know we're still fairly on track for GT40s. We do have a Lola forum, a 917 forum, and a Can Am area, but most of our members have interest in those too just on general principles.

We do have a lot more members than we did two years ago and some questions are a little less focused than before. But, I still think we do a decent job of staying on track and discussing 40s.

I know I still want one, but after the RF collapse a proper 40 just isn't in my ways and means right now. I could buy one that I want, but then I'd have no place to park it thus I need that cash for the garage! But I'll get one afterwards!

Ron

Guy's..

I've noticed that drift as well. However I fear that I have contributed to that somewhat, as I ask many general questions. I always try to keep my questions in the proper section of the site though. As a relative newcomer I think this is a very good place to become informed and participate as well. Maybe the guy's who are experts may not see it that way though. I guess if you are "Accomplished" some things here may be mundane to you. The most important aspect of the website to me is sharing in the arena of ideas and information.

Best,
S

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with you James about the 99% content but as far as I'm concerned its THE best source of information for GT40's (Apart from Ronnie of course).

I'm an apprentice purist, not in the same league as you but then I havent devolved yet ;-)

I like many others lurked here for a year or two, searching for more information and learning much from the forums and am slowly (it seems like glaciel progress sometimes) am realising a dream I had... to build a GT40. Something which would never have happened without this site and Ron.

Keep those original parts comming James and although I have in the past fought the dark side that is the 330 P4, I am a true believer... would a few pics of my 66 block help restore the balance for you?

Oh and 4 of my Hartwells have your name on them.

Andy

Attachments

• my chassis.jpg
    my chassis.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 419
Gentelmen: This is partly (an I mean a very small part) due to my posting pictures of my new RCR LOLA upon delivery. It just seems like old farts are "moving on" into new stuff. I almost BOT a new GT last fall...

Attachments

• New Car Me alone.jpg
    New Car Me alone.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 436
  • FORD_GT_40.jpg
    FORD_GT_40.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 423
Hi Jimmy

I still think this forum is far and away the best place for GT40 information regardess of the dilution you mention. I would hate to say 99% but I bet still well over 90% fo the content here is GT40 related. I also don't think that the dilution has in any way negatively impacted anyone actually trying to find out information about GT40's. Most questions are still answered pretty quickly and pretty thoroughly. Personally I don't care too much for the 917, and Lola stuff, and so I don't really read it. I guess those sections are like rality tv to me, no interest so I don't watch (alright, I have the occasional sneaky peak - I did like that Orange and Black Lola a lot).

In many ways you might also argue that as the 917, Lola and Ferrari P3 were all of a similar era there is a lot of cross over information and their inclusion actually adds to the breadth of knowledge for GT40 people.

Just mt two cents

Cheers

Jack

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well I think Ron has done and is doing a great job with this Forum and it is without doubt the definitive GT40 Forum.
With all respect, I think worrying about whether it is 90% or 99% GT40 related is a tad "Precious"
Good on you Ron keep up the good work and remember no one has ever erected a statue of a critic.

Ron Earp

Admin
Roughly speaking, there are 14,000 threads on the site. That is a lot. But, the Paddock contains about 10% of those, and only a fraction of those are "GT40 Related", so, it'd be safe to say we're around 90% GT40. That isn't bad really, many car sites can't maintain that percentage of threads on target.

However, I would like to see more effort on keeping threads on topic. We have a few who are fairly consistently dragging threads off topic and it'd be good to see that cease. But, I've done it from time to time too, just have to watch ourselves.

Also, one has to define "GT40" as a topic. If that is narrowly defined as discussion of the original car, history, and racing, well, that doesn't make up the largest percentage of GT40 members of the forum. I feel most members are here due to the love of the car and desire to own a replica. So, a lots of posts will surround those issues like engines, transaxles, and so forth. Is that "GT40"? Well, I suppose it all depends on the definition....

I will try and be more watchful of thread drift and off topic discussions to make sure all of that gets where it belongs.

Ron

I may be one who is guilty of the dilution effect. I will never be able to drive a 40, but I've learned more about my ZF, the proper way to bleed a cooling system, how to align my suspension, etc. than on all the Lotus or Pantera sites in my entire favorites list. I doubt my contribution has matched what I have received from this site, but that's because I'm ignorant of what most of you have already learned the hard way, not because of the car I happen to own.

There are sites out there that ignore or ostracize anyone who posts anything not absolutely non make-specific, and I think they do it to their detriment. Most all of you here remind me more of the knight of whom Chaucer said, “Gladly would he learn, and gladly teach.” For that I am most grateful.
John

Ron,

The statistics reflect what they are.

What I see as a possible reduction in posts are some threads are not GT40 specific, and as a result, have not created the need for members to chime in on a certain thread.

Some threads are long running, and thats good. Those threads usually have a subject that many people can relate to, and become a part of the information sharing thing.

The information sharing exchange is a big part of this forum, and if the subject tends to be non-GT40 specific, I can see where some folks could question why.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
There was no criticism of GT40s.com nor it's content in this posting and I spend about one tenth of my week on here so hat's off to Ron.

It was a mere observation as recently I have found a lot of these off-beat posts distracting, however by the number of responses to these it is evident that this material does interest a lot of people, but not me personally.

A couple of years ago it was gentleman's agreement not to discuss Cobra builds on here as there are plenty of other sites suited to that marque, and they concentrate on it, Mustang sites are similar however I have noticed recently that several of the more advanced kit cars out there seem to be up for discussion on this forum. The thread on "designing a new GT40" in ALL GT40s is a good example. One chap is even discussing building a Cien.
I guess that this may be due to an ever expanding membership less committed to building a realistic GT40 car but more interested in the mid engine / transaxle format for kit cars, even modelling them, who knows.

Malcolm,
There has also been less banter by the GTD stalwarts recently which does give the impression that interest in that marque may be on the wain and these guys have moved on from racing them.

Doc,
Offirmative, in my opinion the site is now more congregational and less catholic and I do wish that we had more contributions from the true believers.

Ron,
Policing the threads should be down to the discipline of the writers and for you to continue this is a thankless task.
We should all agree to stick to the subject in question and be far less lazy in creating diversions. Maybe we should issue temporary black spots to those guilty of serious infraction.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fair enough Jimmy, but I for one see no harm if non GT40 stuff is posted in the areas set aside for such, particularly the paddock "where anything goes".
But then I haven't been pure since I was about eleven years old and that is a long time ago:eek:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
I'm disappointed - I always thought you were one hundred per cent pure !

Moaning over mate and I'm off down the road to Goodwood now.

Cheers,

As one of those associated with the rot, and a relative newcomer, I hang around here as this is the best source I've found that deals with the practicalities of building a rear engined sports car yourself. The GT40 layout is the classic layout for this type of car and every possible problem has already been solved here.

If I were to start a Lola T70 support site, we would have maybe half a dozen active people, if that?

So us non40 blokes try to keep out of the way in our own sections, not annoy the old guard, and benefit from the vast wealth of knowledge here.

Regards

Fred W B

Malcolm

Supporter
"Malcolm,
There has also been less banter by the GTD stalwarts recently which does give the impression that interest in that marque may be on the wain and these guys have moved on from racing them."

Maybe less banter by some but I still think there are stalwarts out there. But I would not agree with your resulting conclusion that the marque is on the wain. We only get so many posts by owners of original GT40s. No one would claim that the Ford GT40 marque is on the wain.

400 odd GTD chassis numbers have been issued. As a marque that still is a very good total in the GT40 replica world. Shame the owners are not more vocal on the forum.

Keith

Do we remain a GT40 forum or are we diversifying to other kit forms ??

The older school appear to be moving on to other things and there seems to be more posts concerning alternatives and generalities rather than 40s

Maybe the old British clubs are heading for extinction ?

Examine please.

I don't have a horse running but I think Jimmy's post is very pertinent in a purist sense.

The site and content (and indeeed users) have evolved enormously in the past couple of years and there seems more "turnkey" talk than ever. There's more money in the game and a new breed of owner. This, in my view, reflects the shift in economic power in general Western society and it is a phenomena which will not be repeated in the future, at least in the UK - for there will be very different motoring icons in the next generation.

For many the GT40 represents a nostalgic and wistful era, it's not just a car - and this gives rise to wish lists which encompass many rare and contemporary marques; quite understandable, but it ain't '40, and I believe that was the point....:)

Back