Spell checker

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
rockonsmileI know it's been said before but a lot of posts have glaring spelling mistakes. It's so easy to sort really. Is it that difficult to spell correctly or is it a 'dumbing' down thing that is creeping in to everything.
Recent posts use words like 'inteligence' - oh really !!
Sure - there are some transatlantic differences but they would be acceptable.
There, I've said it now because it pisses me off.:pepper:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
With you David

I must admit I sometimes find it difficult to comprehend that some of the forum members are taking on the job of building a GT40 but have difficulty in expressing things on the forum in legible english when the members are from english speaking backgrounds.

I know it can be hard for the members from different nationalities to cross the language barrier with the correct syntax but for the rest of us there should be no excuse.

Just my humble opinion.

Dimi

rockonsmileI know it's been said before but a lot of posts have glaring spelling mistakes. It's so easy to sort really. Is it that difficult to spell correctly or is it a 'dumbing' down thing that is creeping in to everything.
Recent posts use words like 'inteligence' - oh really !!
Sure - there are some transatlantic differences but they would be acceptable.
There, I've said it now because it pisses me off.:pepper:

Dave
If we are being picky, in your original post, surely the words 'dumbing down' should have been in quotes, not just the word ' dumbing'. !! Not a spelling mistake on your behalf maybe, but ---

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dimi, the language barrier does not exist in my world and if people want to try and get there point across in my native tongue, and Paolo is a wonderful example, we can all cut some slack. In Europe, it seems accepted that we all need some slack when we venture into another tongue. But in essence, I hear what you say about taking on the task of a -40 and being unable to spell or at least see a word that might need a spell checker.
Chris - I did a spell check on Dumbing and ,yes, in MS word it did'nt exist BUT
in the Oxford:
Phrasal Verb:
dumb down Slang /up To rewrite for a less educated or less sophisticated audience.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Yes, you are right David. Correct spelling is becoming a bit of a lost art these days - either courtesy of the Education brigade, or the hethen text-messagers !

At least we can all understand the drift of a message, even if the spelling is dreadful - BUT - I think that it is the incorrect use of grammar and punctuation that really leads to mis-understandings (spelling ?!). Even the simple omission of a comma in the right place can often lead to a different interpretation.

I suspect that grammar and punctuation (along with Caps/Bold/Italics/Emoticons nowadays) are the only ways of trying to express intonations & emotions via the written word - get them wrong and the message may not be interpreted as intended.

Just my 2 cent's worth - and my comments only apply to the "English as a First Language" users. I have an enormous admiration for our many friends here on the Forum who are brave enough to post in English, when it is not their primary language.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dimi, the language barrier does not exist in my world and if people want to try and get there point across in my native tongue, and Paolo is a wonderful example, we can all cut some slack. In Europe, it seems accepted that we all need some slack when we venture into another tongue. But in essence, I hear what you say about taking on the task of a -40 and being unable to spell or at least see a word that might need a spell checker.

The trouble with spell checker Dave is that it doesn't recognise context!!! I think you should have used their:lol::lol::lol:

People in glasshouses......

Cheers,

eheheh..thank u Dave:)..for me is so important to be in touch with u all,never looked at my small local world as THE only one...and honestly think there outside there are too many nice things to see and know:).
Being italian will be too easy to close the discussion aboutcars just with Ferrari, think is clear I love theme as if something personal (italy is that way...when u have an F u have to accept thats a property of all the people looking at it..)but I love to know what is also around,and...first of all..I love too much british cars and american engines(cobra and gt40 overall)

So u have to survive to my "english" LOL :D

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Great, Dave,

I used to have a teacher years ago who was bloody hopeless! Every time someone picked up a faux pas he would say "Just seeing if you are paying attention"!

It's easy when typing to make a slip up and if you don't proof read diligently you can unintentionally perpetrate some cock ups. So long as everyone knows what you mean, it doesn't really matter.....

Cheers

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Dave I find it really annoying as well, and it's something that seems to be creeping into our cultures from many sources, ie rap/ghetto speak, text messaging from cell phones, depending on spell checkers too much, apathy in secondary school, etc. I think you're on the money with the dumbing down theory.

I wrote a complaint recently to a major international newspaper because one of their reporters had posted an online news article that clearly had not been edited, and in one short column there were half a dozen spelling and grammatical errors in it, including all the usuals:

you instead of your
its instead of it's
there instead of their or they're

I've always thought the press were the last bastion of decent spelling and usage, but even "there" going to the dogs these days. :)

Malcolm

Supporter
A friend of mine (English) was asked to give some training at HP. In Spain to a group of French, German and Baltic country guys. He only speaks English so queried just how he was supposed to do this. Apparently if you work at HP you can only officially communicate in English, irrespective of where you are worldwide.

I wish I had a second language and could use it as effectively as some of our non native English speakers on this forum. I applaud your efforts. And if Paulo posted/wrote in any other manner it would lose the character of Paulo.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Gee whizz Paulo!

Your spelling may be perfect, but I don't understand a word you say! Hats off to your English, my Italian doesn't exist!

Cheers,

:D potrei sempre provare a rispondervi in un complicato e alquanto forbito italiano grammaticalmente ineccepibile ragazzi,basta chiedermelo e provvedo in un batter d'occhio..:D
Quite so Paolo,

I used Alta Vista Babel Fish to translate your comments and this is what I got....!!

"I could always try to answer to you in complicated and somewhat forbito Italian a grammaticalmente unexceptionable one boys, enough to ask it to me and supply in.batter.d'.occhio"

It is all quite clear, I thnk............

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Gentlemen,

We should be precise, are we not "writing" in the English language ?.

This despite the fact that our first verbal congress may be in another "mother tongue" but it is generally not as "native speakers"

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
As a Fordophile the other thing I hate in modern society is the continual common usage of the "F word" and the "C word" We can do without words like F*rr*r* and Ch*vr*l*t:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

idk, txt msg speak is crapola imho! lol, david!

God, that hurt to type! My company uses international English as our official language. Basicaly that is the Queen's English (for we Americans, that means put an "s" where you would normally use a "z", but don't call it a ZEE call it a ZED). I lived in London for three years and since moving back to the US last July, I am still making errors here and there (or hear and their as the case may be!).

My best language experience was from about 15 years ago when I was living in Australia. Alice Springs (does anyone really live there?). I picked up a newspaper when I first arrived and read several articles about criminals being sent to Gail. As embarassing as it is to admit today, I remember thinking what a mean ass bitch she must be!

David, I totally agree with you. I think this is simply one more example of the erosion of society.

Back