Spell checker

This is really a very interesting topic but it’s not something that exists in isolation on this forum. This is a bit of a newish phenomenon but we are just seeing written conversational language, and all informal conversation has lots of errors… just listen to your wife talking to your kids.

I grew up in a world where the written language was almost exclusively formal and I have been conditioned to believe that it’s the only way to write, so it does grate a bit with me too. But the world where the informalities only exist in spoken language is long gone. Conversational writing is here to stay. So we will just have to start getting used to it. What choice do we have? :)

PS. Permitting errors in conversational writing doesn’t diminish the importance of correct spelling in formal writing.

PPS "Erosion of society". Hmmm, being a child of the 60's I'm sure they said that about my generation too :D

Last edited:
Chris - I did a spell check on Dumbing and ,yes, in MS word it did'nt exist BUT
Sorry Dave, but I had to call you on it!

I don't think didn't is spelled that way!:D

i ken spel jest fien, i ken olso lifft end mouv hevy objeks. To werk on 40 uu only nede opn flam and a fien selcsion of hamrs, spelin is fur P****'s.
IMHO

Keith

SPELLING CHECKER

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

I agree whole heartedly with the topic of this thread. What also bugs me is the apparent lack of knowledge that some people have of what it is they are saying. How many times have you seen something like "I could of done that." The text messaging thing doesn't bother me as much because it's almost a necessity on cell phones and is simply an overlap into this realm. I don't have a cell phone, so I don't text message. Half the time I don't know what the hell someone is saying with text message typing and then it really gets to me. People make plenty of mistakes without typing too. How many times do you hear someone say "There are less people here now." Many people seem to forget when to use "fewer". I've been in only one or two stores that get this right on the express checkout lane sign (ex: 10 items or less - should be fewer). Pathetic. What bugs me the most is when I find mistakes like these in the news. That is really inexcusable. Come to think of it, I've been finding a huge number of spelling AND grammar mistakes on product labeling also. I should start a website...

Here's a funny tidbit. What's the plural of octopus?

octopuses

Yup! - look it up. Actually, octopi is accepted too, but it seems to always be the second plural form listed. Actually, the spell checker for this message software is underlining octopi but not octopuses. Interesting...

saw few days ago a commercial on National geographic about bad writing in english, and it was too cool. They wrote all words with mistakes but u anyway may understand all 100%...too cool, searching it now on the net:).

Think anyway english gives the great possibility nearly to everybody to (try) say what u want in the most easy language of the world.Sometimes I wonder how difficult can be learn a language hard as swedish or chinese....or also just arabic.
Down here really few people talks also just a "bestial" english as mine one...and this is a too great mistake from our school (my english is NOT from italian school..we use to study for 5 years only english literature...in italian.)

Would you like, for the future, I give some technical explanations in Italian?
For sure the grammatics will be correct up to 95%, but who is gonna understand a word of what it is written?
I have unsubscribed from the GOX forum, as everybody can check, just because I have been aswered as follows:
gearfox Guest

I can not give a contribution to my speciality « on: June 20, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »
Sirs,
this side is my speciality, and nobody is writing in an understandable language for me.
I can reply in English, Italian and French and with the help of my wife, even in Russian.
Sorry for being so useless.
Wanni
ip.gif
Logged bune Administrator
staradmin.gif
staradmin.gif
staradmin.gif
staradmin.gif
staradmin.gif

Queen.jpg

I'm a GT40 owner

Re: I can not give a contribution to my speciality « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:19:21 AM »
I did make a translate for my lst tread , hope it is ok.

Hope that other forum members will do the same , but it seems that the scandinavian language is dominating this forum. One can only pray for a better understandable language
grin.gif

I like this forum better than the gt40s, they are pissed of if You do'nt give them what they want (some of them) .
I visit the gt40s forum often but I find that this Swedish forum have same high quality if not higher on many things. GT40s forum are so many so therefore it is lots of information there to share.

But as You say gearfox the language is a barrier that I'm sure lots of other foreign forummembers would like to climb over. Only Paolo have a score here with his Swedish girl friend.
Have a nice day folks. I'm on my last night shift on the rig, next week will be in daylight.

Rune

After this answer, I just unsubscribe, because there it is possible. I found it a bit offensive and contrary to the fair play rules.
I hope that this forum is not like the other. Or everybody shall open his own forum just to fight with the next in terms of audience.
Now I am confused.
Please, give me some explanation about what to do for the future.
Ciao
Wanni

eh...I understand Wanni.
Unfortunately sometimes scandinavian friends want to keep their own language.
Just last week I've visited a too nice sea museum in Goteborg..and...so strange for Sweden, absolutely ANYTHING in english.:confused:
Thanks god my girlfriend traslated all to me, and the visit was anyway too nice.
Note no advise about this in museum entrance...so once paid..good luck!
In a room of this museum u could leave your comment about the visit,and almost all the ones were about this BIG problem.

P.s.: as I ALWAYS said before..think your presence in forums is too important, for the knowledge and skill u have,both here and in any other forum (as RCR or MDA forums..)

Believe it or not, you will be able to read this..........

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty
uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer bein the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Regards,

Chris.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Wanni, I don't think you need be confused, David made it quite clear that his comments were only about people who's first language is English, as have some of the other members who have chimed in.
I for one enjoy your post's and your knowledge about transmission's is invaluable.
Stick around.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I for one don't really care how perfect a persons grammer or spelling is. I do care to understand the point they're trying to make. I appreciate the effort Paolo, Wanni, and others make so I can understand what they have to say. The point David makes is good but there's no point getting one's panties in a bunch over it. We all make mistakes sooner or later. Just my humble opinion.
Pete

Wanni, I was just going to say that your jokes are excellent!

What would we do without your technical knowledge and great sense of humor? We would be lost without you. Please stick around!

Mark

Both Wanni and Paolo's English beat my Italian all to hell!

They get a full pass from me.

And decoding Wanni's jokes gives them a delayed effect, kind of like a time bomb...very funny!!!

Back