Turn in your firearms...

Ron Earp

Admin
I think I'm going to sponsor my own gun amnesty turn in program. $25 gift certificate to Wal Mart if you bring me your firearm. I'm sure I'll get something in the bunch that I've been looking for.

Ron

I remember as a child while walking through a forest in the German Eifel montains there was something on the ground which struck me somehow.
Took it with me and showed it to the father of a schoolfriend.
It turned out to be the rusty remains of a WW2 German assault rifle 44
made by Heckler & Koch. If I´d still have it could be swapped for your Wal Mart gift certificate.

If only you had offered it 30 years earlier...

An Uncle of mine found a Martini Henry Cavalry rifle in his loft many moons ago. Had a short barrell and I was told it was of the type used at 'Rourkes Rift' against the Zulu's although never was confirmed.

and I know of another chap, who on opening some old furniture acquired in a barn clearance overseas, came across a bunch of MP40s amongst
other bits and pieces...:D

Keith

That's true Paul, although the longer barrel version would have been the firearm used at Rourke's Drift. As you say, the shorter barrel Martini Henry carbine was principally used by the cavalry. Either way, the bore was .5" and used a giant (by todays standards) round which would have stopped an elephant.

Just to illustrate how times have changed, in 1960 whilst at school, I swapped a Crimea vintage cavalry sabre and a WWII vintage Japanese Samuri sword for 2 Rourke's Drift vintage British Army Martini Henry single shot rifles, 1 infantry and 1 cavalry, and rode home with them strapped to the crossbar of my bike. Needless to say, no-one thought that was in any way remarkable, and my parents didn't even make any comment.

I cannot for the life of me remember what happened to them though. I probably swapped them for some green marbles and a ball of string....

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
During the Rhodesian Terrorist war (or Zimbabwean independance struggle dependin on which side you were on) numerous bits or munitions and artillery shells made their way into private collections behind a bar in a private home or similar.

Well about 5 years after Bob Mugabe came in there was a crackdown on all privately owned ammunition etc and anyone who had it in their posession would be prosecuted. - He forgot the amnesty to allow good folks to turn their collections in.

So what happened was people went to the local dog walking dam and threw their collections into the water while walking their dog.

2 years later and a big drought and the dam dries up to a puddle and in the mud are things like mortar fins (mortars still attached), land mines, and loads of small arm ammunition and weaons. Now all corroded and unstable.

They had to call in the bomb disposal squad with bulldozers to clear the debris and then safely dispose of the live stuff. I took them about 4 months to do the job!

Just one of many things that Bob's boys got wrong!

Ian

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hahaha, I used to have a LAW Rocket tube myself... back when I was like 15!!! One of my buddies had it and we would walk around the neighborhodd with it like we were a platoon or something. We each had out respective cap/toy guns and this friggin LAW Rocket tube. Man that was sweet though. rockonsmile

I don't see an issue with what i do in my front yard
Img0885.jpg

...I have here an original Panzerfaust coming from russia 1943.
It is the one able to stop and reduce in dust a Sherman tank in 60 meters (so the big one).
The painting is surely not original, cause the panzerfaust surely was left in water for about 10 years(looking at the steel condition).
Bought this from an ex red army officer,too nice if placed in my shop showcase.
Pics will follow when i remember to pic it from my garage.
Its really impressive.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Right now I only have little guns...
l_4c165015c503d86adf490b4d1bea2d2a.jpg

My H&K G3 .308 and my Desert Eagle Baby Eagle .40 S&W. They're fun!!

I don't mean to offend my British hosts, but with the growing gun crime here in the UK, at least our politicians are not calling for tougher gun control.

It was said that the Metropolitan police will most likely be armed by the 2012 Olympics.

I suspect that not long after, the whole UK police force will be armed.

I like my plain old ordinary shotguns and rifles !!!

Best
Dom

What? Gun crime in the UK? That simply can't be, as guns have been effectively outlawed in the UK. How can there possibly be outlaws with guns if guns have been outlawed? Clearly there needs to be more regulation of guns.

I was at a gun show in Oklahoma City in 1984 when I stumbled across a great deal on genuine Colt AR-15's. I proceded to buy 4 of them and walked out with them thrown over my shoulder. I probably made about $20.00-$30.00 on each one and was amazed about how clever I was. Of course if I had kept them until about 1996 or so, I could have made about $1500.00 each on them. Man toy's seem to always bring a premium, it's figuring out the timing that is the hard part.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
What? Gun crime in the UK? That simply can't be, as guns have been effectively outlawed in the UK. How can there possibly be outlaws with guns if guns have been outlawed? Clearly there needs to be more regulation of guns.

I'm with you Mark, guns were outlawed in Oz some years ago, and armed crime has increased.... Seems like the bad guys didn't hand in their guns, what a surprise!!
Now Mr honest citizen who did hand his weapon's in is dis-armed and the bad guys have much more confidence that when they pull an armed hold up no one is going to blow them away.
Gun regulation really works.......for the crooks.:mad:

Back