Ultima GTR, now THAT'S impressive!

Specs, and video are all up on Ultima Sports Ltd

engine is from "American speed"

400 small block, de-stroked to 377 from memory. 18° heads. Titanium valves. The high read line or ability to rev is where the speed is.

As I see it, all the horsepower in the world would get you zilch if you can't put the power to the ground. With road tyres, my guess is that the speed is in the aerodynamic downforce, something that the Enzo or Koen.. Keon... that Swedish car don't have in copious amounts.

Keith

I would still prefer an Enzo or any other car they list as comparison as a daily driver. Although the performance is mightily impressive, it is still a "component" car and hardly a "supercar" as they self style themselves in the same vein as the competition, plus I believe that straight line speed comparisons are spurious at best as is charging around an airfield ad infinitum ad nauseum with the rear tyres alight.

I did however find it interesting that it's G50 gearbox was more than a match for that level of grunt - which should bring a sigh of relief to a few on this forum...:)

However, for racing I think it's the bees knees and I very nearly ordered one some years ago when they first appeared, but I sold my racing operation and "emigrated" to the USA. Ironically, my faithful SBC was split away from the race car and went into.....an Ultima - there were some very serious types racing them in the beginning. :)

I would hazard to guess that the speed difference was more attributed to the weight of the car and good tuning of suspension rather than anything else (although I dont know the weight). The car does not appear to have any ground effect (it's too high) and the aero, although slick looking doesnt appear to be all that geared to downforce.

Of course "beauty is in the eye" and all that. I considered it some time ago but in the end, I thought the car to look like an uninspired blob, mushed around in a racecar like shape.

Well, that's certainly a supercar in my eyes. Sorry Keith, but not recognising it as such because of it's sub 50k price tag smacks of snobbery.

Keith

Nothing to do with the price at all and I can't afford to be a snob :D

Just an opinion is all - no need to get personal mate.

Sorry Keith, i guess my post appeared to get personal. I should have re-read what i typed.

I guess everyone has different ideas as to what defines a 'supercar' - to some it's simply performance figures, to others it also needs a prancing horse/raging bull etc badge and a premium price tag.
What are your ideas on it ?

Just in case you were wondering, i don't own an Ultima but i have driven in one and found it to have good ride comfort and somthing that could certainly be used as a daily drive.

Simon.

Keith

Hmmm, I dunno though, you could do a '40 cheaper......

Personally, I think it is the original SUPERCAR and the one everybody else
s t r a i n s to emulate..... :)

And Ford did it twice in the same lifetime! Who would have thought the Blue Oval capable of such a feat ? :coolgleam:

PS Absolutely nothing wrong with Ultima - whatever blows your hair back....but it's not SUPER enough for me.... :lurker:

Last edited:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Being a owner of one. For the money it is certainly the lease expensive SUPER CAR.

There does seem to be a lot of "bang for the buck" with the Ultima. I looked at buying one a couple of years ago but the exchange rate between the dollar and the pound killed the idea.

What transaxle do you use and are you satisfied with it?

Thanks,
Steve

Just to put this in perspective, and let me say that I am a bad driver and this is not about me. The Ultima that won its class in the 0 to 200 and back to 0 and came in second overall in the competition also came in behind a little red RCR GT40 on the road course this year at Run and Gun!rockonsmile:D. I also know that the RCR only had 20 miles on it when it was unloaded at the track.

My point is that we as 40 owners should be very proud of our "Super Cars" and I think we already have the ultimate supercars in our garages. That being said, the Ulitima is still a pretty cool car!

All the original supercars were of the same mold as the Ultima and GT40... until the non-purist boulevard set got a hold of them and turned the cars into symbols of affluence. Before Ferrari became iconic they were building brutish pieces of machinery designed purely to go around race tracks more quickly than anyone else... as is the Ultima GTR now. Love it or hate it me thinks that this makes the Ultima (and the GT40) a true supercar.

As for the transmission question. The Ultima can run any posche trans. Has more area in the back of the car than a GT 40. I think it could run any of the other transmission -- ZF etc. but the factory only suports posche boxes. The best one currently is the 996 G2 turbo. BUT, all need the 6th gear changed to a higher one. None were designed for V8 motors. As for my trans it need a six gear change.

John

Back