Fires

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Prayer's and thoughts to all those who have been affected by the fires in Southern California. I hope that none of our Forum family have lost their homes.

As one of the San Diego residents here, thanks for your concern.
Personally, we are not endangered as the fires are north and
south of us, and are pretty much moving west. However, we have
family who have been displaced - my brother-in-law and his wife,
dog, cat and rabbit, are staying with us, and others are staying
with my father-in-law (who, incidentally, was almost evacuated
himself early this morning).

I am concerned about David Briggs - he lives in the San Diego
Country Estates which was the first place evacuated Sunday
evening. All of the news coverage has been about other parts
of San Diego - very little has been said about the Estates and
Ramona. I hope he and his family are OK.

Ian

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in Topanga, about 2 miles from the Malibu fires, which are getting under control... the Malibu fires were the least damaging, from what I can tell....

Fingers crossed for Briggs....

I am in the OC. Lake Forest right near the Santiago fire. Helicopters and planes dumping nearby. Pretty amazing. These folks are doing a hell of a job to keep the damage to a minimum! My hat is off to them!

Mike

We live in a manditory evacuation area but we didn't leave our home...so far, so good...looks like we might have gotten lucky as the worst might be over for us.

I live in suburban Sydney, but surrounded by bush. After several fires, one that reached to our lower deck, I organised a Community Fire Unit for our street. We have hoses, standpipes, pumps, protective clothing (overalls, boots, gloves, masks, helmets, etc.), first aid gear, and so on. I replaced our timber decks (facing the bush) with perforated galvanized steel ones, plus some other mods. If a fire comes through I plan on staying . But that is easy to say; a fire is still VERY frightening. We have been all packed up with our photo albums and irreplaceable items in the car boot (trunk), the animals in their travel carriers, and the non-mobile cars towed up onto the street a "safe" distance away, and scared sh*tless.

So our best wishes go to all our GT40 friends in these horrific fires.

Dalton

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Some of the footage I saw of the wind-driven flames racing across flat ground in the Castaic fire was amazing.... the fire line was moving at a steady 30mph! No way to outrun, or even prepare....

And the pilots powersliding those yellow superscoopers, not to mention the MANIACS flying the DC-10 supertanker at treetop level have got REALLY BIG ONES! That has GOT to be the wildest ride in town, eh?

HATS OFF TO THE FIRE PILOTS!

Back