Experience with Registering Scratch-Built Chassis in US

Charlie M

Supporter
I know the regulations vary from state to state but I'm interested in others' experiences with registering a car with a chassis they built themselves; of particular interest is anyone in Massachusetts. I've seen several build threads on the forum; would love to hear from those that finished.

I registered a FFR Cobra here in MA years ago so I know what a hassle it is but that is a different animal than a scratch-built GT40.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Many states have "kit car" registration laws that would more than likely, maybe, kinda, accommodate a scratch-built car. The SEMA model law was fashioned after California's SB100. HOWEVER, and that is a BIG however, those states number about half of the 50, and even in that group the letter of the law is different but similar. The rest go from nearly not possible to who knows if the state government knows what a kit car is.

My general advice would be to pick a state and ask your questions. A general interpretation of the one you have proposed might be too vague. Otherwise, the state of MA has a vehicle code and the sections of the code that allow you to assign a VIN to a kit car would be where I would start my research.

The one real difference between a scratch build and a Kit Car is you get a bill of sale and a Certificate of Origin with the kit car and there is a basis to prove you own the "car". A scratch-built car will not have that as such and you would have to assemble all the receipts for the materials and parts to prove you own the home-built product.

One of the main purposes of assigning a VIN is that in doing so the state is certifying that the resulting vehicle is not assembled with stolen parts as well as accessing a value for tax purposes.

Last edited:

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks Howard. I've been through the process in MA with a FFR kit and it went as you described. Here, the State Police Salvage Title Division is tasked with checking receipts, MCO, etc. to prevent the use of stolen parts in kit cars as well as reconstructed vehicles; they're the ones that assign the VIN to a kit car. My question goes beyond the scope of that. When the inspector encounters a chassis fabricated by the owner vs a "store-bought" chassis would they approve that with material receipts or require test results or the involvement of a Professional Engineer?

I've recently heard of that sort of thing being required in other countries; just wondering if it happens anywhere here. I follow several of the build threads for scratch-built cars and I'm not aware of any in the US that have been completed and registered.

Howard Jones

Supporter
And I found this:

Charlie M

Supporter
Here is the Texas law. I will highlight the area that seems to be relevant.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/body-files/Assembled_and_Reconstructed_Vehicle_Manual.pdf

See page 2-3 New Fabrication.

I think that will get you there, at least in Texas

Thanks again Howard. Encouraging to see that they address owner-fabricated chassis specifically. They don't say you can't do it in MA but I've heard through the grapevine (after I started the project) that it's a no-go in MA although I haven't seen any law or regulation that addresses that.

I bought a chassis kit with a MCO and chassis number; I'll guess I'll take my chances.

Thanks for the replies.

I built a car from scratch, including the chassis, and took it through the registration process in CA back in 2010. It was the SB100 process. The CHP was required to provide the VIN for the car and they riveted a plate in the door jam with the specially issued VIN. I just made an appointment at the local CHP office so I doubt it was an officer who had any special connection to stolen vehicle parts that issued the VIN. I was surprised at how little time the officer spent "inspecting" the car and I don't recall that he even wrote down the engine serial or any other part serial numbers to check their origins. Maybe I just got lucky and the officer was distracted or something but I do remember that the CHP part of the registration process was much simpler that I was expecting.

Back