What about Ryan's 427?

I know the thread is closed but I will go out on a limb here and say that I am very disappointed in the way most of you who posted on his thread responded to him. Great way to welcome a potential new member. Did anyone send him a private message to help him understand to format of our forum? I just can't believe how you guys behaved! I hope you are proud of yourselves. I don't even know this Ryan guy but I am sure he won't be back. I am continually amazed at how tough people are on the INTERNET!

I am not interested in your justification so save your breathe. Thats just my $.02.

ridiculous!

You didn't miss anything. The thread that I am referencing is closed. I just thought a few of our family didn't show the compassion they should have for a new guy that wasn't familiar with our traditions. :rolleyes:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
I know the thread is closed but I will go out on a limb here and say that I am very disappointed in the way most of you who posted on his thread responded to him. Great way to welcome a potential new member. Did anyone send him a private message to help him understand to format of our forum? I just can't believe how you guys behaved! I hope you are proud of yourselves. I don't even know this Ryan guy but I am sure he won't be back. I am continually amazed at how tough people are on the INTERNET!

I am not interested in your justification so save your breathe. Thats just my $.02.

ridiculous!

Ditto. If a newcomer isn't following proper protocol, there is a respectful way to deal with it other than immediately flaming them. I'm sure those that chose to denigrate a newcomer have some sort of rationale. This kind of behavior has contributed to the demise of more than one forum.

Having said that, it's good to be here because of the members. The small group who pounded the newcomer appears to be a minority.

Steve

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
As I recall, it was Ryan's first post.

I'm not interested in an FE, so I don't have a horse in this race, other than the feeling that if a first post is intended to sell something, it simply indicates that person isn't interested in the forum, its members or it's contents, just in unloading something to what is probably percieved as a hungry crowd. I admit, that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Having said that, I did read the post, but didn't have anything to contribute so I moved on. Didn't even think about flaming him, regardless of whether I felt his post was inappropriate or not. Why??? Too many good things on the forum to invest the time in negativity (unless it's someone like "O...er", which it didn't appear Ryan was)--there were jokes awaiting and a lively discussion related to engine choice, so............it's "onward through the fog" for this ol' Dugly.

Doug

As I recall, it was Ryan's first post.

I'm not interested in an FE, so I don't have a horse in this race, other than the feeling that if a first post is intended to sell something, it simply indicates that person isn't interested in the forum, its members or it's contents, just in unloading something to what is probably perceived as a hungry crowd. I admit, that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

That is a pretty big assumption! I just don't think it "simply indicates" anything except he wanted to see if there was an interest in his engine. The bad taste in your mouth was created by your perceptions of a situation that may or may not have even been accurate. That's your issue not his. We shouldn't jump to those types of conclusions.

Move his thread to the "for sale" section, welcome him to the group and ask him to offer a more complete introduction. Then see if he is interested in joining our little band of merry men.

This isn't really a fight I want to fight. I just want to share my thoughts.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Dean, I definately see your point bringing this stuff up, but there's far more people who don't really care what the heck people around here or other forums think....they are just in it for themselves and gone just as quickly. Point is, sometimes tough love is better than ahh, its ok brother (in other words, do it again here or there, its ok). I think when someone walks into an unknown crowd of people who know each other (at least a little), you don't just spout off hey everyone I have this thing for sale and I don't have any details and I think I'll say it a bunch just to get my agenda across. Common sense. I don't think most people here had to be taught that. In the end, I think he handled the follow up stuff equally dismally. I can tell you, I have had to deal with this stuff as much as anyone and it's a pain in the butt. Yes, I will concede that I could have been wrong, but the good money is on me and others who responded, being right....and if I was wrong for asking him not to spam anymore (trying to stop it while he was doing it (3-5 different threads worth), he could have responded in a different way.

I only feel sort of bad. Only a little.

By the way, here's a similar situation but distinctly different. I wouldn't even think to post anything to this person and leave it to the forum owner or moderator. This person is smart OR has seen what not to do (maybe that other thread). By the way, I'm not trying to disrespect your take on this stuff Dean, just giving a different perspective. :)

Notice below only one post and treading lightly given his first and only post to the forum. Same thing as Ryan, but seems like a respectful fella, and we didn't have to see a bunch of threads and posts all with the same information.

Hi Guy's,
I am relativly new to the forum and unfortunatly I do not own one of those beauties, but one day! I came up with my own tribute to one of histories greatest race car - a GT40 Men's bracelet I made myself at home (I am jewelery designer by trade). It's made out of 925 silver (no budget to do it in 18K white gold or platinum) with a full 3-D polished carbon fiber insert and the Gulf colors replicated with gemstone quality yellow sapphire's and blue topaz. The rubber strap is a watch strap adapted to fit. What do you think?
Cheers
Jurgen

P.S: I designed it for myself, but if anyone is interested, send me a private message or mail as I do not want to break the rules of this forum.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings on this 'incident' & have to admit I dont feel real good about what I have read. While the odds would suggest that it might be a scam etc we will probably never know now!, but-sometimes these things are for real.

I can relate a True episode of a fellow Kiwi who makes regular buying trips for stuff ex USA, was at a swap meet & talking with a group of people interested in purchasing various mustangs,vettes,camaros, most of whom were bemoaning the fact that there was not much quality stuff on offer. An older gent standing nearby approached the group after a while & simply stated -'I have some of those type cars for sale if your really interested' to which the rest of the group said almost to a man-'yeah, right, hasnt everyone' and moved off.
My kiwi friend waited a couple of minutes then went over the older man and asked if he really did have these cars for sale, which he did. The following day he met with him & was taken to what was literally a treasure chest- GT350 Shelby convertible- Z28's-Firebirds, you name it ,there was one of virtually every model plus other rare stuff, it was a lifetime collection which had been built up by having the foresight to purchase when relatively new etc before they became collectors items. On asking why he was selling up he found the man had recently lost his wife & was now terminally ill himself and had no living relatives. His main concern was that the cars would go to people who would appreciate them & did not want to hold an auction etc where he would be drawn into the public arena. I know the GT350 ended up here( I had a close look at it ) along with a couple of vettes & camaros, and the whole lot was gone when he went back on the next trip!
Now I realise that this was probably a 1 in 1000 occurence, but are we ever going to kick ourselves if someone got to buy a 'real' sideoiler 427 in mint condition for relatively fair price!
I went thru this sort of stuff when I sold all my Boss 302 gear years ago, people would ring up & flat out call me a liar & that I could not possibly own two Boss 302 motors because they thought they knew where each one was in NZ, oh how wrong they were & how silly was I to have sold them at the price I did. Hindsight would be great if it was actually foresight.

Jac Mac

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I have mixed feelings about the thread as well and I posted several times. I had a genuine interest in the engine, but no longer. My first post was number twleve to the thread. Several others had enquired about the price which was never revealed. I comically offered $7.50 in the hopes of getting a price and a designation of the heads accompanying the engine. Next thing I know I am being accused of calling him dishonest. Not the case or my intention. I'm not here to defend my posts. They speak for themselves. I was taught to say it the way it is. If you are indeed selling the engine tell us want you want. You have to have some idea of what you are looking for. If it is too high, guess what, you'll still own it. I purchased too many parts on representations which have turned out to be false. You all might remember my transaxle fiasco. My last post was perhaps more self serving than anything, but when your public profile states that you are 32 and you claim to be racing cars for 24 years, somehow the math doesn't add up. It all goes to your credibility, especially if you are an unknown person selling goods. Thats my two pennies.

Hey Gregg, It's Ryan 427. I started out racing at the age of 8 at a place called Pomona Valley Quarter Midget Racing Assosociation it is in Pomona Valley Califonia. Check into it there are kids there that start at age 5. The series is nation wide there is probably one in your home state. I won the Western Grand Nationals 3 times before I moved up to half and full midgets. From there I raced 410 Sprint cars and I am now running a local Nascar series in california. If you are interested I can send you a copy of the newspaper article of one of the Grand Nationals I won at age 10. Heck I can send you all kinds of pictures and articles. Your saying it's hard to believe a guy that says he's been racing since age 8. Most the racing stars of the world started as kids that young.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Good morning Ryan, thanks for the offer to send pictures but I do not require them. I am aware that children start driving very early, however they generally start driving go karts not cars. It would appear that you started that way as well. The fact of the matter is that you threw the first stone. I am not here to debate what happened. I simply wanted a price for the engine which you failed to provide. You stated that your friend was tired of low ball offers etc. which only tells me that your friend has set a price for the parts. If you wish to continue this discussion off line, please send me a private message. I don't see the need for it but the offer is open. As an aside, congratulations on your win(s).

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I guess I missed out on most of the thread although I read the first few posts when it started. I ,too, felt some of the posts were extremely strong. I actually didn't see how many posts he had....until it was brought up. I would have to restate the one post about there being less caustic ways of addressing breaches of forum etiquette. Just as an observation, it would seem that any "rare" /hard-to-get component for sale, regardless of posters' numbers, would be welcomed. As someone that may have been interested I do think his first mistake was in not posting a price range or some $$$ figure, even when it was requested. I felt it was a little like an e-bay ad ....what ever the highest bidder would pay....without the filing fees,etc. I was waiting for some post on that and now see that it was closed, must have been a bunch more flaming after my last look.

I remember not long after the forum started (ca. 2002) reading posts on some of the Cobra forums that said, "yea, they are snobby on the GT40 forum". I have never thought that was true. I agree with Dean, let's not let that kind of reputation get started and spread over the vintage car community.

Don't mean so be! In old country we sell moters like dis. 1. Tell all friend and nahbors you have moter sale for. When they ask how many drapda's (old country moni) don't tell them. This is way best to sell for gud lots of moni.

My thought is anyone that has a "rare" engine will know what is for sale, and how to identify the parts. This is usually done by the numbers cast into the intake/block/and heads, ect. These numbers will leave no doubt what is for sale.

Anyone that is not aware of these identification numbers would discredit hinself by not stating the fact.

What I have a hard time with is the real truth about "I have a......-then finding out it is a friend that has the parts. In addition, if you are unaware of the value of the parts, you should be placing your ad with a "make offer" statement, and go from there. Just seems this deal was doomed from the beginning. Lesson learned. Move on.:dead:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
I have to agree with Dean.

When my 2nd daughter was learning to drive, she had a bit of a time learning how to position the car in her lane... not too close to oncoming traffic OR to the shoulder of the road. More often than not, she'd tend to veer over the center line and a wee bit into oncoming traffic. Scared her father a time or two but, thankfully, she overcame this tendency.

One of the hallmarks, even a cornerstone principle, of this forum is the treatment of others... simply, with respect. Like Gregg, I was raised to speak truthfully though as the years passed I learned (to a degree, anyway) how to tell it like it is while not leaving the appearance of scorched earth. One only needs to read a few threads on another popular Ford-powered car enthusiast forum to understand what I mean!

Just to be clear, I have little tolerance or appreciation for those who peddle their wares here without offering something resembling a contribution - this isn't ebay. Unfortunately, it takes time to learn the 'traditions' of our forum and, in this case, Ryan for reasons known only to him wasn't able to do that.

In responding to Ryans post, it appeared that some of the family, like my daughter, got a little too close to that center line.

Best to all,

T.

We can go back and forth on this and debate who handled it right or wrong but one clear fact remains, there still isn't a price listed and Ryan HAS come back and posted again for whatever reason. We are all big boys and have lived long enough that we have seen this type of situation before and the outcome with very few exceptions are the same. I will say this group can be quick to judge, I have been on the receiving end of it but I will follow that up by saying after spending time here I think most people are not out to get anyone or prove anything they just have strong opinions. So do I so I have to count myself with the rest. There seems to be a great deal of knowledge and experience on this forum and I see help and advice given out daily which I count as a good thing. I enjoy this forum and hope it continues, I can't see any reason why it won't. Just my .02

Steve

Ryan, I have stood up for you long enough my friend. boomsmileIt is time to either set the record straight or just leave. I would love to hear more about your engine with all the details and a price that you have in mind. I would also like to hear more about who you are and if you have an interest in the types of cars discussed here on the forum. The ball is in your court. ;)

Back