Gulf Beetle

This was seen in Hermosa Beach, California. I must admit that it was not getting much attention. There were many other sights at the beach that were very distracting

Attachments

• Gulf Beetle 1.jpg
    Gulf Beetle 1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 892
  • Gulf Beetle 2.jpg
    Gulf Beetle 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 477
That's a really interesting car Randy. I'm kinda surprised they hung the oil cooler way out front rather than up high on the rear of the roof between the other intake ducts

That's a really interesting car Randy. I'm kinda surprised they hung the oil cooler way out front rather than up high on the rear of the roof between the other intake ducts

Apparently they don't do much bump-drafting with the Beetles. :blank:

I wish I could find more technical info on that. I have been googling all morning without much success.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There's suprizingly not a lot of information out there on this Bug. I think it was - no check that - I'm SURE it was a large embarassement to the teams that were thoroughly trounced by the Fittipaldis.. I've got some black & white pictures of it on the track somewhere but it was a couple of computers ago. I'll try to find them and share..

The car had two VW engines - I believe they were stacked - and a Porsche gearbox.
The Aerodynamics of the Beetle shape are not bad until you get over 100 MPH - then it took nerves of steel to pilot the car that would rather be airborn than earthbound..

The Aerodynamics of the Beetle shape are not bad until you get over 100 MPH - then it took nerves of steel to pilot the car that would rather be airborn than earthbound..

Right you are. I used to work for acompany that built a custom 57 beetle for a customer. It was a VW block with oversized jugs making it 2.0 L with turbo and fuel injection. Scarey fast...in fact the first time we took it out for a shakedown we punched it and the seat track broke nearly sending the driver ass over elbows.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great link Brian!!! Has all the pictures I had and then some!

Those Fittipaldi boys - they had guts....

Try this one for size.
65' bug with a Toronado 425 V8. Back seat fits. Custom SS exhaust, lots of other stuff on the chassis. The photos don't do it justice, but it drives well, and never been left behind at a stop light.

Attachments

• bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 300
  • PICT0048.jpg
    PICT0048.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Jan 2005 002.jpg
    Jan 2005 002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 364
  • PICT0053.jpg
    PICT0053.jpg