DTM Nurburgring

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Next weekend 25th to 27th July.
Anyone for a beer in the Tiergarten's Piston Club?
The food's really good as well !!
Its going to be quite warm with the attendant
weather problems in the Eifel that usually brings my job into focus.
Bring it on......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, the weather really was a handful along with the stupidly late qualifying - all because of some insane French cycle race. The Q session was knocked on the head at 1930 hours with another 15 minutes to go because of rain of monsoon proportions and thunder storms everywhere. It was so dark under the Cb clouds the track was almost invisible in the spray. It seemed nobody knew who could make the decision to cancel the session so a couple of the drivers apparently mutinied.
Oh well, the race tomorrow is at a similar time. Daft or what?

Keith

Well, it was an interesting race for sure. Christian Abt's face looked darker than the 'Ring's famous storm clouds. Was this a proper "uh oh" moment??? :stunned:

I'll let David fill in the blanks, after all, he was there... :blank:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith,
One of those decisions that if it had worked all would have been great but it didn't.
We had an intense rain contact in force that was going to affect the whole track from 1727hrs until 1757hrs. The cars went to the grid at 1700hrs on slicks and changed to wets immediately they got to the grid positions.
This rain contact was part of an 18 mile wide Cumulo Nimbus(Cb) and they are notorious for changing shape very quickly which unfortunately, for us, it did. The warning of the rain changed at 1720hrs to a ten minute period of very light rain from 1730 hours (the green light came on at 1735 and the race started at 1735 hrs [tour de france] ) and the decision was then dry (slick) tyres (they only have the two types of tyres so no inters). This change of rain warning went out at again at 1728hrs by telephone and data link and the 4 teams were told again and I was surprised by the fact they had not changed to slicks. About half of the cars pitted on the formation lap to go to slicks and the rest a few laps later. It was one of those things which, if it had worked on the day, Audi would have probably had all eight cars in the points.
It was a gamble in the last few minutes before the start and in fact the light rain warning from 1730 (from five minutes before the start was extended to 50 minutes with heavier rain after that. There has to be winners and equally there has to be losers and, on this one, Mercedes were the winners.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re: DTM Hockenheim Finale

Thats another season done. Audi swept all before them this year in a very ambitious motorsport program. The R8 is being developed as a race car in the gt3 category and being called, I think the R16, and there is a new Diesel for Le Mans 24 next year which will probably be unveiled at the Essen show shortly at the same time as Audi announce the 2009 program.

Back