Paul Newman takes his final laps

Hi guys,

In the pantheon of Big Dawgs, Paul Newman is certainly one of the greatest. Among his racing exploits, he won his class in the 24 Hours of Daytona--when he was 74 years old!

A couple of weeks ago, Lime Rock shut down for a few hours so he could take
some final laps in his beloved GT1 Corvette.

He is not expected to live to see October. :<(

Paul Newman takes last laps at Lime Rock - Autoblog

Ah, crap. Phil Hill and now Paul Newman. Such a shame - gentlemen like these two show the world how it's possible to be a successful gentleman race car driver and lead productive and immensely humane lives in parallel. And, all this without large egos and courting of the spot light for purely for personal vanity.

In addition to his contributions through the Newman's Own business, Paul and his wife also formally adopted something like 20 or 30 children, many of whom were struggling and at risk of falling prey to very unfortunate circumstances.

Paul will be missed.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
My uncle has raced with Paul Newman for many MANY years. Always has wonderful things to say about him and what a nice guy he is. It's sad that another motorsport icon is fading into the past.

Me being a young guy @ 29 yrs. old, I guess it's sad to realize that all the people I grew up watching and hearing about are passing away too quickly. Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, etc. are all people I loved to watch, hear, and experience. I guess all there is to keep these people in your mind is the memories and films they made. Yesterday I wanted to see Transformers, just out of the blue, and laughed my ass off at the Bernie Mac part of the movie and realized how much he's missed.

Anyways, not to be a bummer, but thanks for the memories Mr. Newman. I need to call my uncle now. LOL

Laters,

Brian

Several years ago, I had the pleasure of a private conversation with JPN at Road Atlanta during a HSR event. He was 79 at the time. We were hanging out during a practice session eating a 'burger and chatting. I noticed that JP had his hand masking taped into a ball shape.
I asked if he had injured himself, and he calmly replied "Jack, I am getting old and have arthritus in that hand and the tape allows me to shift easier".

Now, that, my friends is a real man!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Several years ago, I had the pleasure of a private conversation with JPN at Road Atlanta during a HSR event. He was 79 at the time. We were hanging out during a practice session eating a 'burger and chatting. I noticed that JP had his hand masking taped into a ball shape.
I asked if he had injured himself, and he calmly replied "Jack, I am getting old and have arthritus in that hand and the tape allows me to shift easier".

Now, that, my friends is a real man!

That is a quote for the ages right there!!!

I've seen Paul frequently at various events- Indycar, GTP, Rennsport, etc. He was always at arms length,avoiding eye contact, trying to maintain some modicum of privacy. I've always respected that and given him space ... Its apparent he loves motorsport as much as we do. I'll miss him...

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
Paul is not only an iconic figure in the States but is well known and respected throughout the world (even here in the land of OZ) for his demeanor and generosity. We take every opportunity to purchase his products because of his association with charitable organisations. It's a shame there is not more people of his calibre in this world. America you should be very proud of this man.
David

Paul is not only an iconic figure in the States but is well known and respected throughout the world (even here in the land of OZ) for his demeanor and generosity. We take every opportunity to purchase his products because of his association with charitable organisations. It's a shame there is not more people of his calibre in this world. America you should be very proud of this man.
David

completely agree:(..a good pilot and a too great actor, imho one of the greatest at all..we will miss him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Newman

http://www.corvettefever.com/eventcoverage/corp_0706_rolex_vintage_festival/photo_09.html

Last edited:
Back