Lap of the Nurburgring.....

Malcolm

Supporter
As some of you maybe aware I recently sold my Prosport Spyder. It ended up in Germany living at the Ring under the care of Ron Simons. He has forwarded me this on board video link of a lap. It is only a 7 min 45 second lap but to date he has got it down to about 7 mins 16 secs. This is what you can do if you know the circuit very well indeed....

http://vimeo.com/2265861

Malcom
Wow! I have been round the ring as a passenger in a fast porsche but that was still around the 9 mins mark; 7 mins is really going some. I could only manage 12 mins in a 150bhp Calibra a few years ago and want to return with the GT in 2009 to see what that can do. I'm sure I will "bottle" it before the car reaches it's limit but as before in the back of my head will be the thought " I have to get this thing home again in one piece" and that will slow me down - that and the inexperience of ring driving - still one hell of an experience and one I will want to repeat, great video clip thanks.

Great video except why do most of these European video producers think they have to put blaring repetitive and annoying Techno music on the footage? It detracts from the subject.Do they think this is necessary to maintain a level of excitement in the video?I'd much rather hear the engine.BTW - what a beautiful machine - how could you ever manage to part with it? A.J.

You beat me to it Al. The video would have been 10 times better without the music.

Reminds me of a lap I did many years ago while on a camping holiday in my friends mothers Ford Capri 1600. The camping gear was crashing from one side of the boot to the other and when we finished, there were dints in the boot from the inside out!!

I didn't time the lap, but I think it was a little longer than the spyder's 7 min 45 secs.

David-And you did it all without Vlad and Zeeter(the hostel twins) in the background with the boom-box! That video was still good even though I had to turn the sound off. A.J.

Always knew it was a flippin fast car.... esp after my ride at Silverstone.:shocked:

One thing surprises me though, considering the speeds being achieved and the possible distance / time to being reached by rescuers in the event of an 'incident', I'm amazed you can still lap the circuit with arms exposed - and please don't tell me they were wearing shorts.

Malcolm

Supporter
From my listening of the sound track and from my experience of trying to run my own video on this car, the engine noise is just destroyed by wind noise and too much gain. The engine is VERY loud on this car and it does hurt unless you wear earplugs.

Reason for selling was that I only put 6 hours on the car over 2 years. Same reason the Lotus is now going as that has only done about 5 hours over 7 years! Good sized dollops of cash that can be better used elsewhere, partly into Sea Ray 220 Select, 2 years old and only 56 hours on the clock and comes with 300 bhp Mag 350 MPI Bravo 3 drive.

Back in '94 (makes me feel old saying it that way) when we took 9 GTDs to the Ring, never having been before and with Paul co driving to remind of the direction of the next corner (yup, we made some pace notes) I did 8 laps in one day. Best was sub 10 minutes but I think the car can do much better than that now it is developed a lot more plus (I think) the driver has improved a little since then too! I have been offered chances to race at the Ring a couple of times now but I won't accept as it takes far too long to learn the track and when racing I would be an accident waiting to happen. The video of the 94 trip is, I think, on the GTD club web site.

Last edited:
Back