Lotus 72D- Jochen Rindt

I am currently finishing the body finishing and painting of a lotus 72d in 1/8 scale for a customer, in gold leaf livery.
He provided me also some interesting pictured of Rindt car, and there is also one taken few minutes before his fatal crash.
Seems..and nobody knows why, he deleted all the wings from his Lotus, This picture is incredble cause the racing car seems more a rocket than a formula one car.
..and he already had the pole..so wonder what happened there..

If i can save it from this book i will post here, but probebaly many of u already knows what I am referring to.

That car did look very strange running without wings! Monza still is a very low downforce circuit and teams drop a lot of their aero bits even now. (I have been there for the last 3 tears to watch the F1).

Is the Rindt car in Gold Leaf livery? I thought the JPS colours only came in for 1971 onwards.

Thank u very much Ernst!, always great help!
The picture I have is exactly the one in the website,from those pictures I have some more detail clearer.
will post pictures of the work in progress soon!

Grazie:)

I heard he was out without his anti submarine belt clipped. That was the reason for his fatal injuries. Anyone else ever hear that?

I heard he was out without his anti submarine belt clipped. That was the reason for his fatal injuries. Anyone else ever hear that?

I heard that as well :( It seems that when the front of the car got torn off under the armco it tried to pull him with it, very sad. :( :(

I believe the accident was attributed to a brake shaft (inboard brakes on the front) failing on entry to the parabolica.

Yes.

I have always been of the understanding that Rindt didn't like wearing crutch belts and as such would refuse to do them up. The removal of the wings was to reduce drag, not to mitigate against failure.

I can't believe I never noticed the car had no wings that day. I had never heard that or seen that. Can you even imagine that? Those were the years man!

this is the incredible pic from Ernst friend website, incredible..

Attachments

• 70ita22w_Rindt_Lotus_72.jpg
    70ita22w_Rindt_Lotus_72.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 882
Back