I had no idea that there was once a massive racetrack where I live...

index

It amazes me that there was once a very alive and healthy road racing following in this country. These days, if you tell people you like racing, they will say "NASCAR or drag racing?"... they have no idea that there's a kind of racing where the cars turn right as well as left...

Looking over some of those old pictures of Meadowdale, what an amazing (and probably dangerous) track that must have been. 3.2 miles with a Monza style banked turn, It must have been fantastic. What a shame these things were left to fall into dilapidation.

Thanks John
I have never heard of this track mentioned anywhere before, looks like it would have been a great place to run.

It truly is sad. Bridgehampton, my home track, is now a golf course. An absolute driver's track - very similar in look and feel to Mosport. It's interesting that quite a few tracks opened in 1958...

John,

I remember Muddydale (known for the heavy rains and the mud that accompanied many of the races) from the late 1960s when it re-opened for a short period of time with the Chicago Council of Sports Car Clubs and the Chicago Region SCCA. I understand the track is still there, and somewhat run down.

In 1968/9 the Monza wall was not operational.

I was meant to have a walk around with an old friend, but didn't get to it last October.

Best
Dom

I just learned about the track because a friend of mine recently had a walk around it. Its now a forest preserve, but the track is still there and a there is a group that tries to preserve the track layout. As you can imagine, the remaining asphalt is in bad shape and a lot of it has been covered with gravel. He told me there use to be a bridge over a small gorge, but it has completely collapsed into it; so making a complete lap is impossible.
The banking of the 'Monza wall' was 45 degrees! Steeper than Monza!

make sure you click the 'vintage photos' link at the top of the page! looks like they ran everything from old high-wing F-1 cars to can-am there.

Malcolm

Supporter
When I raced at VIR a couple of years back, one of the team members kindly gave me a book on VIR. It was not long ago that that circuit was used for grazing! Only by determination and money was the track rescued and turned into what it is today, one of the best. It seems it dosn't take long to lose a race track but nigh on impossible to create a new one. Now that is the wrong way round.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
You guys will trip when you see this...

Race Tracks

Check out your state and see what tracks are around and used to be around. I'm 100 miles exactly from the Goodyear Test Track & Proving Grounds. I wanna go out there and see about setting up a track day...

You guys will trip when you see this...

Race Tracks

Check out your state and see what tracks are around and used to be around. I'm 100 miles exactly from the Goodyear Test Track & Proving Grounds. I wanna go out there and see about setting up a track day...

I checked out Idaho and it said that there was a 1/4 miles track about 45 minutes from where I live.

I found some pictures of it.

IMAGE022.jpg

That's Idaho for you. I guess I'll have to find some good dirt tires.

Back