UK: National Speed Limit Petition

For all of you who are not aware, the UK government currently has proposals to reduce the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on single carriageway rural roads.

The proposal to lower the speed limit has been put forward on the grounds of safety, and is seen by some sections of government as a cheap way of reducing road accidents.
This is because it can be achieved at little cost by simply redefining the black diagonal on white circle sign on single carriageways to mean 50mph instead of 60mph.
However, the Association of British Drivers (ABD) set up a petition against the proposals on Downing Street's website.

If you do not wish this to happen please sign up to the petition:

Petition to: Not reduce the national speed limit to 50mph. | Number10.gov.uk

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Nah. They are too busy fiddling their expenses or rogering each other to care about anything that the voters might want. The next time I have any dealings with ANY police I'm going to let fly over this G20 'death'. This is so shameful and it was all captured on Video by an American City Banker. According to todays bullshit release from the police , this man that died was "only pushed". Will it be another case of lawful killing ?
Whitehall, Scotland Yard et all, are spiralling downwards and none of them have enough height to recover anymore.
THIS COUNTRY WOULD SEEM AS THOUGH IT IS RIPE FOR A REVOLUTION.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Cars are dangerous, they kill people. Like guns they should be banned.
I think we should go back at least to having a man with a red flag walking in front of every car.....Or was that trains?:squint:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think we should go back at least to having a man with a red flag walking in front of every car.....

And I thought Kansas in the U.S.A. was the only place backwards enough to have such a law on the books.

Seriously, in Eureka, Kansas, there was such a law while I was in college in the late 60's. It was seldom enforced unless the local constabularies don't have anything else to do late at night, then they'd use it to hassle some kids just for fun. There was talk of rescinding the ordinance, but to my knowledge no such action was ever taken--it was sort of this small city's claim to fame, so to speak.

"Ignorance of the law is no defense..." was uttered by the judge many a time to those who protested that the law was so arcane that it was unpredictable to even the most careful of drivers.

I vote Dave for Premier!
Ian

It's times like this (the opportunity to vote for David M. for Premiere :thumbsup: ) that make me wish I lived in the U.K.--I'd certainly vote for you, my friend! Good common sense is a rare commodity these days and you've demonstrated that you have mastered that skill many times on this forum.....maybe a "write-in" movement?

Doug

Back