Non circular planetary gears

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pretty interesting but I'm somehow failing to see this as a solution to a practical need..

Still it took a pretty warped mind to come up with it! :)

This is one possibility:):idea:

Attachments

• Untitled Kauertz with elliptical gears to control cycles.jpg
    Untitled Kauertz with elliptical gears to control cycles.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 403

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
The non circular gears have been around for a while , just look at the monitor

There is no commercial value in producing gears sets of this nature, just a fun thing only

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jac - I think I need to get stronger glasses and another cup of joe to figure that one out.. I will do that though....

Reminds me of a toy I used to have as a kid called a spirograph. It was a bunch of plastic gears of odd shapes with holes in them. You put a pen in the hole and worked the gears to draw unusual spiral shapes.

Does this effectively put a bigger gear into a smaller area? It looks like the surface area of the gear has been increased due to the shape.

Jac - I think I need to get stronger glasses and another cup of joe to figure that one out.. I will do that though....

Yes, sorry about that Randy, Im still getting to grips with this Windows 7 stuff, enlarge it to 200% & you can read the text on dwg- Google Kauertz rotary piston engine & you will get the basic function of the two 'pistons'...

In reality Im not sure they can make elliptical gears like the first two on Bills Video that would be 'quiet' & have the necessary longevity..

Don't remember the name brand name, but some years ago, I ran across a positive displacement flow meter that used a pair of oval gears as shown in the opening clip.
It was used to measure the flow of a fairly viscous (like syrup) polymer fluid. Like a gear type oil pump in reverse, flow through the flow meter caused the gears to turn triggering an electronic pickup that output pulses.

Interesting to watch the gears mesh as they turned. It worked well.

How about some real life circular planetary gears that actually do something?

bristolherculessleevege.gif

14 cyl Bristol Hercules sleeve valve radial aircraft engine...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, sorry about that Randy, Im still getting to grips with this Windows 7 stuff, enlarge it to 200% & you can read the text on dwg- Google Kauertz rotary piston engine & you will get the basic function of the two 'pistons'...

In reality Im not sure they can make elliptical gears like the first two on Bills Video that would be 'quiet' & have the necessary longevity..

Thanks for referring me to the web search - why didn't I think of that? Dunno.. I need more coffee I guess.. Those rotary design engines have always intrigued me. But I can't help but wonder how they get them to seal in the combustion gasses for the long haul. Like the Wankel design seems to have been fraught with problems in durability.

How about some real life circular planetary gears that actually do something?

14 cyl Bristol Hercules sleeve valve radial aircraft engine...

Oh man - how would you like to time that mechanism??? Would certainly be interesting...

More coffee!!!

Back