How safe is your garage?

Most people would think their garage is safe if they have an automatic door opener, or wireless remote with its 500 random access codes. Think again. A less than average thief can gain entry in less than 6 SECONDS. We spend good money on making our cars inaccessible with lock out devices, hidden cut off switches, or extra levers/buttons and switches that have to be engaged in order to start, but we ignore our common everyday garage.
When you view this video, you will think up several intriguing ways to circumvent a would be thief. One that comes to mind is Zip tying the release lever so that it has to be cut in order for the pull rope to function. You will understand when you see the video.

YouTube - Breaking into a Garage

How do you keep your garage safe??

Bill

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Bill, I don't have an auto opener, just a pair of standard steel up and over doors, and a standard wooden side door. Years ago I had wheels stolen and thought I needed to make it more difficult, my solution; drill a hole inside thru the door bottom flange and into the concrete floor, a 3/8" round steel peg secures that. At the top of the door, drill a hole at left and right, and install window bolts, (with a splined key). At the top middle, for good measure a screwdriver thru the lock.
All this is accessible from the inside only, the side door has two window bolts top and bottom, the splined key accesses them from the outside, but they are not obvious to any would be thief. It works for me, although I am thinking I need to put reinforced wire glass in the side window to complete.

regards
Dave

Does anyone know of a GT40 (real or fake) being stolen before? I would of thought it would be quite hard to sell on as most are known cars and there are not that many about?

Jas

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jason,

Good to see you & your car again last night.

I seem to recall one from the US a few years ago (Steve Toner?), I think it was on a trailer and they took the tow vehicle as well! I'm sure others can elaborate further.

Cheers,

Max

Does anyone know of a GT40 (real or fake) being stolen before? I would of thought it would be quite hard to sell on as most are known cars and there are not that many about?

Jas

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I don't have the bible here now, but an original MK I street car was stolen back in the late 60's/early 70's, joyridden and crashed. In Arkansas I think.

Hi.
Just a note here. I think Bill has it right. The theives have a different mindset to us. If they want it, they will take it. Be under no illusion. This was graphically demonstrated to me when once I received a call from the police to say our offices had been broken into. On arriving to survey the scene I was totally unprepared for what I saw. The entrance to the offices was obliterated. They had used either a van, a sledge hammer or God knows what. The doors had been smashed off their hinges. Thankfully we did not lose much. It did however bring it home to me the futility of trying to protect your property. Please do not think a few padlocks, chains, bolts or special glass is going to stop them. It is not !

Stephen

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
As they say "locks only keep out honest thieves" a .45 Smith & Wesson or Colt on the other hand will keep out just about anything.

Be aware there are code scanners out there that will just cycle through until hitting on your garage opener code and opening your garage. Fortunately they are out of the reach of most petty thieves.

Or easier still the thief just breaks into your car at the grocery store and steals the garage opener. He just looks in the glove box at your registartion/insurance to confirm the address and he knows your not home right now as you're grocery shopping!

I'm in the process of installing additional contacts on my garage doors to link them in with the main alarm panel.

I agree that locks only keep out the innocent. Most thieves are not that creative. They just go the back door and give it a few kicks.

No lock keeps a determined thief out. I helped my neighbor break into her house when she was locked out. I was surprised how easy it was. I drilled out the tumbler. Most tumblers are brass and a sharp drill cuts through brass faster than wood. I bet I had the tumbler drilled out in under 3 seconds.

The day I moved in I drilled a hole in my garage door's track, just above one of the rollers with the door is shut. When I leave, I put a padlock through it...making it pretty hard to get the door open from the outside.

I also keep the door closed as much as possible, as you never know who happens to be walking by..... Also durring these times, in Detroit especially, I'm very careful who I invite over...

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark, I agree with you 100%. I have the same style locks in my tracks. I also have my doors hooked to a red flashing becon, and very loud siren near the road, approximately 100 feet away. If the hidden switch is not turned off upon entry everyone in the neighbor hood knows someone is in my shop. I live in the middle of BFE, with the nearest town having approximately 600 people. I still do not invite people into my shop after being relieved of many exotic parts a few years ago. When I have my door open, I have my truck sitting sideways in front of the door, so no one can see from the road. Because I still think someone I know closely, was involved in my previous theft, I am very happy to work by myself. Not even my family has been in my shop in approximately 8 years. If someone needs me they can call, and I'll come out. I trust NO ONE !!!!

Regards Brian

I'm in the process of installing additional contacts on my garage doors to link them in with the main alarm panel.

Both my house and garage are tied into the same alarm system, but they're in two different zones. This means that the garage alarm can be active while I'm in the house.

As others have said, locks and bars are only a temporary deterrance to a skilled thief. If they want it, they'll take it, it might just take a couple minutes longer to gain entrance and "liberate" your stuff.

However, what is an effective, and complete, deterrance is visual monitoring. Thieves don't want to be on camera, and if they sense there is visual monitoring they'll bug off and go steal someone else's stuff (who doesn't have monitoring). Of course, there are a few exceptions, but generally this is highly effective deterrance.

I have a motion actived visual monitoring system in my garage with an auditory cue. What this means is that if there is motion in the garage after I close the door and arm the system (small hand held remote) then a) the overhead lights all turn on, b) the ceiling-mounted cameras (2) start to transmit to the base station and the video is recorded, c) an alarm goes off in my house (and to my iphone) to alert me, and d) the trespassers hear "smile for the cameras gentlemen, the police will be here shortly." I absolutely guarantee no thief is sticking around when the above kicks into motion.

Back