Cheapo Wireless backup camera install

Another thing I did today was install a rear view wireless video camera so that I could get a hint of what was behind me. This was a cheapo setup from Costco - less than $80. Included in the package was the small camera with mounting bracket, a 3.5" color LCD with two powering options (hardwire or power adapter socket) and a couple of mounting options.

The camera comes with a metal bracket that is to be adhered using 3M VHB tape, to the back of the license plate. Normally they show this mounting on the top of the plate. I didn't like it blocking the state name on my plate, so I flipped it, unscrewed the camera and turned the camera upside down on the bracket. I routed the camera power up the LHS to the small cubby behind the driver's seat - where I found the electric fuel pump wiring. I mirrored the routing of the tail light loom on the RHS. The wireless antenna is routed up the inner clamshell and forward using tie wrap pads. I reduced the fuse rating (at location 16 for the purple fuel pump feed) from 20 amp to 2 amp based on the 2.5 amp fuse that was in the hardwire option of the kit.

Now I plug in the LCD and turn it on, then flip the switch over my start button to turn the camera on. The camera has a nice wide angle of about 90 degrees going out. It doesn't look fisheye or distorted. The picture is a bit graining and flickers now and then, but I does the job for what I need it. I did a test drive and the only issues I see so far are:

1. when I drove with the camera pointed to the setting sun it would wash out. If this become a proble, thenI will find a different camera. This LCD has provisions for a hardwired camera input which is a nice option.
2. I think I will make a small bracket to temporarily position the LCD on the LHS sill near the driver door hinge, or hanging from the door pocket as far forward as I can.

The other nice thing about this setup is that there is also a mini USB port on the LCD, and they give you a cable, so that you can power USB devices through the LCD.

The LCD has buttons for changing brightness, changing color saturation, selecting the wireless or wired video input, and rotating the image. It also has an audio input, I am not sure why yet as this isn't discussed in the documentation.

It was worth the few hours to install! By the way, I changed the white tie wraps in the photo to black later....

Attachments

• Camera install.jpg
    Camera install.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
Mike:

That looks like a good solution to a real problem. I have not looked into this option yet, but from your post it appears the LCD monitor gets the camera signal wirelessly. I assume LCD monitor can be powered with a 12 volt accessory / lighter plug. So one could easily remove the LCD monitor and stow when not needed???? Sort of like a GPS or radar detector?

Is it sufficiently wide angle to make lane changing practical?

How sharp is the image? The image on our Jeep is very grainy and I just ignore it except when hooking up the trailer - about the only thing it is good for.

Mike:

That looks like a good solution to a real problem. I have not looked into this option yet, but from your post it appears the LCD monitor gets the camera signal wirelessly. I assume LCD monitor can be powered with a 12 volt accessory / lighter plug. So one could easily remove the LCD monitor and stow when not needed???? Sort of like a GPS or radar detector?

Is it sufficiently wide angle to make lane changing practical?

How sharp is the image? The image on our Jeep is very grainy and I just ignore it except when hooking up the trailer - about the only thing it is good for.

Chuck, you got it...you can hardwire the LCD or use the lighter plug. The lighter plug cord is probably 4-5 feet, so you can position the LCD anywhere just about. Unplug and stow when not needed.

The camera angle is about 90 degrees spread (45 degrees off each side from straight back) so you can see pretty much anything that is not in your mirrors. I have two small convex mirrors on my inner door window sills and this fills in any gaps. This is intended to be a backup camera and it is not the best image. It is grainy and flickers now and then. The interference varies with where you locate it in the cockpit. The thing I liked about it is it will allow for another video input, so if I feel that the camera is not good enough, I can pick up a better one and plug it in to the LCD. Or, you can have two cameras (the wireless one and another ) and switch between them.

I need more testing before giving this one a "thumbs up".

Regards,
Mike

Back