Is the GT40 and gt40 lookalike replacing the Harley?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I have noticed a lot of similarities between the weekend habits of the Harley Davidson owners and the 40 guys. Firstly, most are well over 40, wear brightly coloured, highly intricately lettered shirts procaliming their
origin and affinities with large letters proclaming brand loyalty, often receding ..... no - scrub that - often follically challenged and about 4 inches or more larger than their belt size and spending weekends in carparks around the country often giving man hugs. Are you in this category? Shall we try a poll to see if these observations fit the bill?
Is it the same in the U.S.A. or are you all much more reserved?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Similar David, but I have yet to see "GT40" tatooed on anyone.

(and if someone here has such a tatoo, unless it is on an attractive lady, I would prefer NOT to see it!)

Funny David,
The GT40 crowd IMO is just a bit more conservative. No Tat's, follically challenged as the average age is getting up there. As for 4 inches larget than thier belt size, I'm sure some are, but I don't believe that's the norm. I'm 66, follically challenged,
6 feet tall and 180 pounds. Don't need to wear a belt! Anyone else care to chime in?

It would make an interesting study..

I am not significantly over 40. Currently 42 and I finished building my GT40 at 40. My waste is not 4 inches over my belt size. I do not own a shirt with GT40 written on it. I am however follically challenged, but that that started in my early 20s.

Jonathans,
I am with you. Folliclally challenged early,32-34 inch pants 5-9" and 160#. I am 40 years old with 24 years experience. For some reason my body doesn't agree with that. Same weight as 20 years ago, just moved it around to different places!! Oh yeah, I do own a GT-40 ball cap.

Bill

Keith

I have no experience of '40 meets (apart from that excellent one this year at Morton Towers) but I will say that these BABs are getting on my tits. For some unfathomable reason these fat old men descend on the New Forest every weekend wearing black gear, matt black helmets and CHIPs Avaiators with every stud known to man skewering the distressed black leather acting out every road movie fantasy they ever watched during the post Easy Rider years - driving their (admittedly immaculate) Harley's on open pipes for crying out loud. Hour after hour after hour every Sunday ad infinitum ad nauseum.

I used to like the sound and sight of Harley's until the Testosterone Challenged Ones and BABs took them on as their lifestyle icons (I wonder if the BABs brigade fully understand the connotations of Harley's and butch leather gear in the UK or indeed, do you become testosterone challeged if you ride a Harley often and get your gonads rearranged by the vibration - is that where the term numbnuts originated?) and now I'm heartily sick of the sound and sight of them.

God forbid that 40's will go that way but there seem to be some regrettable similarities judging by photographs of sausage sizzling episodes I have seen in various countries.

Good post David. Maybe a poll would enlighten us... and you are just the man to devise it with your thick manly rug and finely honed torso :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jonnyb,
I think I was probably describing quite a few of my F/Os whilst I was still flying.
It seems it was almost a pre requisite for selection in BA for many years to have a well receded hairline. Ask a few of the more 'experienced' girls.
Keith,
My hair grows 15mm per month all over the top of my head and I need 'pensioners day' every 4th thursday to be able to afford a haircut. Not so much of the finely honed though. I wear 36 trousers but as a result of years of debauchery and Italian wine (I would love to say women as well) I should be a 38" belt.
I don't know if I can still fit in my car as it's been so long since I saw it.
Maybe I'll get a Harley Springer and come down and annoy you.
And grow a pig tail............ Cos I can !

Last edited:
Maybe I'll get a Harley Springer and come down and annoy you.
And grow a pig tail............ Cos I can ![/QUOTE]

Dave, that sounds a lot like a mullet.:shocked:

I too am slightly over 40, have nothing with GT40 written on it, and pretty well only take the car to the track. I am 5'11" and 190. I still have a full head of hair and...no mullet. I guess we just aren't part of the Harley crowd yet!

I am 46 , with 38' waist , and have a full head of long hair . I weigh 20 or so pounds more than when I started riding 30+ years ago , and my chest has slid into a tool shed (cable splicers belly )

I have built and own several Harleys , and I am building a GT40 look alike - ish.

I do have a lot of HD branded stuff .( I was part owner of a bike shop ). As well as '57 Chevy stuff . mostly given to me by others .

I did sell the last '57 chevy I owned 2 months ago , and still not happy about it .

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, David, I must admit I've recently regained my "schoolboy" physique....lost 30 pounds and now weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school....5', 11" and 162#.

Follically challenged? That's an understatement......but I am OH, so much more reserved than the average 61 year old skinny, bald headed old fart!

Cheers from Doug!!

Last edited:
A lot of the Harley crowd in my area are a) posers, and b) joiners. Meaning, as posers they're really not at all inclined towards an adventurous life on the road (sunny Sunday afternoon drives up the road don't count), and have very little idea how their bike functions. Most seem to be dentist or architects with zero mechanical ability. As joiners, they really like getting together with fellow Harley folks and touring around, wherin the social aspect of it is really what's driving it. Showing off with outrageous gear and loud mufflers just for looks and stares seems to be a goal as well. Of course, these are my own crude generalizations.

Most GT40 guys I know are neither posers nor joiners.

Just to chime in,
Im 43, receeding hair, 5' 10" height, 32" inch waist, haven't weighed myself lately but pretty fit and trim. Building the 40 the way I want it, for me and no one else. Of coarse its nice to have admiring glances and comments but not essential and certainly not the driving force. Building my 40 is a very personal journey and one that I don't expect most people to understand. It's different when you craft something than just going out and buying something to show off with. It has a different value, a very personal one.
I'm not the brash, show off type anyhow. I generally feel quite embarrassed if I get too much attention about anything.
I'm well aware the 40 will attract a great deal of attention, but that side of it is actually not the part of ownership I'm looking forward to.
I think for Harley owners, it's a bit different. Certainly the ones I've met anyhow.
Harley ownership also seems to be a real mid life crisis kind of thing to do. Lost youth and all that.
40 owners are displaying grace and taste IMHO.

Martin

That's a good motto right there, Martin. I think 40 owners are generally different in their philosophy and tastes in dress, attention seeking, and search for freedom/expression/fun.

"Grace and taste"

Back