Is the GT40 and gt40 lookalike replacing the Harley?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
See - a much better thread than one about political bickering. Reading some of
the above submissions seems to open up the discussion what we are like and what we would like others to think we are and to be as well.
I must admit I thought I would try and write something contentious ( a Barolo moment) but it seems to be chugging along quite well. Like a Harley??

I don't own a Harley but I have a lot of friends who do. IMHO, these guys are no different than most of us who have a hobby like the Ferrari or Porsche Clubs. Some are mechanics but most are just average Joes looking for a little adventure or some time away from the wife and kids. A chance to gather with other men and do the manly stuff before re-entering the metro-sexual world of modern business in their day to day jobs. A lucky few get to live out their fantasies in their careers.
My hats are off to all of the brave souls who get on their HOGS and bear the knat -in-the-teeth experience if only for a little while. It sure beats hanging around the Garden Club.
Garry

Keith

Tell me something, I've never seen a (UK) BAB with an 'ole lady' on the back so this really goes with boating as a hobby and possibly quite a few '40's? Like the women actually hate them but make a pretence of 'tolerating' the man's hobby?

It happened to me with a boat. I took my wife over to Gurnsey to look at a Fairey Hunstman for sale (classic powerboat famous for the film 'From Russia with Love'). I said we could afford it but wouldn't go ahead without her say so. She said yes, go ahead let's do it.

We went boating every weekend in the summer and had a blast at the owners club meetings. A year later she divorced me and cited the boat as a 'co-respondent' and even tried to have a Sherrif's Writ nailed to the mast!

She maintains now that she hated it when she saw it and hated it ever since and hated me for liking it, and then took several hundred thousand pounds, my house, car and all my clothes - but she didn't get the boat! I beat the Sherriff to it swiftly took a sum of cash for it before they could act.. Fait Accompli.. :laugh:

So, it begs the question, are these Macho toys truthfully ruinous to our matrimonial harmony? 'Cos I'm damned sure that most women don't like the toys, the money spent on them or the competition for attention.

Sorry David if this is not on your topic mate....:worried:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
True - they always seem to be a solo effort here in the UK.
Anybody know the Neptune on PCH north of Malibu? On Sundays the greatest collection of Harleys I've seen in a long time with some very - shall I say - cheeky - but very attractive young ladies who perch on the pillion (back). Great for fish and chip lunch as well.
Keith - you make my life seem so boring by comparison.

put your wife / lady friend on the p-pad (rear seat) ,start the engine and rev it a few times and she'll be hooked .
seems pretty good for matrimonial harmony , besides now my wife is telling me that when the kit car is done she is driving it .
she even brought me a classic & sports car mag because it had Graham Hill's GT40 on the cover . she did complain that she didn't like the fact that it drew her attention . she also hates Top Gear , but watches every week with me :evil:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
put your wife / lady friend on the p-pad (rear seat) ,start the engine and rev it a few times and she'll be hooked .
seems pretty good for matrimonial harmony :evil:

I think that has something do do with the way the thing vibrates when you rev it.:laugh:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
O.K. I have been riding bikes since I was 14, (yes they did make them then). I counted about eight years during that time that I did not own a bike of some kind. I have always had a current motorcycle licence.(Got it age 17.)
A few years back I traded my VTR1000 sports bike on a Harley, the major reason being that particular bike was causing me to push the envelope and it's capabilities far exceeded my meager talent. It was great fun but was going to bite me eventually.
What really really pissed me off was the totally different attitude shown by people, friends and acquaintances toward the Harley. All the cliches were trotted out, mid life crisis, when are you getting some tatts etc. All from people who if they knew I owned a sportsbike didn't give a rat's and certainly made no comment about it.
A very strange phenomenon, one I don't understand. Maybe the Harley is more "in your face" than other bikes, Fdivino.:shrug:
P.S. Yes I love it.
No I'm not a member of any biker group and no I dont have a diamond stud, or a pony tail and no studs on my leather jacket either.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the large "F*ck Off" lettering across the back of your jacket.

Just joking, mate. It is indeed a phenomenon related to Harleys. I don't see the same sort of comment/attitude to riders of other brand bikes, or particularly to GT40 drivers; more friendly interest and respect.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete - you'd look cool with a ponytail.......

Years back I recall a funny about an embroidered badge on the back of a Harley riders jacket which proclaimed "If you can read this, the bitch fell off".
I think they are everywhere now.
<TABLE class=tblList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tdOdd align=middle>
</TD><TD class=tdOdd vAlign=top>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Keith

So, now we're getting somewhere. The Harley then has a big "Fuck Off Factor"

So, that being the case and with me not really liking to be told where to go, next time the BAB Harley Gang infest the New Forest (probably this Saturday) I will get a sticker done for the 4x4 with "And Fuck You Too" on it.

Actually, I can't say TOO much about the FOF, because my 4x4 is not eye or ear candy either.. :laugh:

"So, now we're getting somewhere. The Harley then has a big "Fuck Off Factor""

Thats why the loud pipes , can't hear the whiners ... which saves their lives .

" I will get a sticker done for the 4x4 with "And Fuck You Too" on it. "

My 4x4's sticker sz Have you driven over a Ford lately ?

I would give my left nut if all the open pipe HD riders would just trade in their retardedly noisey "HOGS" for a GT40 that emits a sound more akin to music to my ears.

At least all the ones that ride by my house...everyday...and especially all day, everyday during the summer!

Sport bikes? Yeah baby! Those things sound SWEET too. Even the low rumble of a nice Duc is much, MUCH closer to music than those rediculous Harleys.

I just never understood the HD thing. Seems to me that almost all the "bikers" I have known, they are either complete turd weekend wanna-bes, or hard core drug addicts. Neither one being something I aspire to be, so again, I just don't get it.

Keith

I would give my left nut if all the open pipe HD riders would just trade in their retardedly noisey "HOGS" for a GT40 that emits a sound more akin to music to my ears.

At least all the ones that ride by my house...everyday...and especially all day, everyday during the summer!

Sport bikes? Yeah baby! Those things sound SWEET too. Even the low rumble of a nice Duc is much, MUCH closer to music than those rediculous Harleys.

I just never understood the HD thing. Seems to me that almost all the "bikers" I have known, they are either complete turd weekend wanna-bes, or hard core drug addicts. Neither one being something I aspire to be, so again, I just don't get it.

Oh yeah! You da man...:thumbsup:

I know , they tease me the same way . I'm at work , on the side of the road , repairing tiny phone cable wires , trying to daydream about what I'll do next on my GT40 almost look-alike . and they go by , and go by . and I really miss riding . then I get jolted by ring current , or a circuit , .... Very irritating !

Back