CBS News Lara Logan attacked

No one realizes we do not have a Democracy in the USA but a Republic. Democracy is majority rule and that is what happened. The Minority may have no rights. Look at the history of theses countries and what occured should not surprise anyone.
I can't find words appropriate for their behavior. Bastards is to good a term to waste on the like of these animals.

No one realizes we do not have a Democracy in the USA but a Republic. Democracy is majority rule and that is what happened. The Minority may have no rights. Look at the history of theses countries and what occured should not surprise anyone.
I can't find words appropriate for their behavior. Bastards is to good a term to waste on the like of these animals.

Big +1 Mort!

Keith

I think what happened is absolutely dreadful and unforgiveable, but could this event have been foreseen?

In their haste to get a "breaking news story" CBS threw their duty of care out of the window. It was totally insane putting that woman in there without the proper protection and I'd go as far as to say she shouldn't have been there period.

Anyone who has ever been to Cairo even in "normal" times will tell you that it can be dangerous in the wrong areas. In these difficult times any Westerner anywhere in a Middle Eastern City should take very special precautions. How on earth CBS decided that this would be a safe place for Lara Logan & her crew is beyond me.

I believe it is very lucky she made it out at all, no thanks to CBS, but thanks to the Egyptian army and a possie of women. She will be mentally scarred by this event for the rest of her life and I would guess her career as a "cutting edge" news reporter is at an end.

I hope she sues CBS for trillions.. :evil:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It's a shame this happened, but I get the feeling that television reporters think they are outside circumstance and invulnerable. Yet many of them die each year; it must be one of the more dangerous occupations involving foreign travel. I don't think she ought to sue CBS; I think they all ought to learn from this and be more careful about where they go and how they go there. There was, after all, amply opportunity to figure out that Egypt has become an even more dangerous place than usual.

I don't think she should have been there. Yes it's unfortunate she was attacked. Reporters die all the time, what makes her or this case special? Maybe if she was shot dead it would have been somehow more acceptable? If it's what happened to her because she is a woman, then a woman should not have been there.

Shame on those who did this and shame on whoever was responsible for her being there.

Keith

It's a shame this happened, but I get the feeling that television reporters think they are outside circumstance and invulnerable. Yet many of them die each year; it must be one of the more dangerous occupations involving foreign travel. I don't think she ought to sue CBS; I think they all ought to learn from this and be more careful about where they go and how they go there. There was, after all, amply opportunity to figure out that Egypt has become an even more dangerous place than usual.

These multinationals do not learn from the suffering of others as they are driven by the bottom line.

The only way to "encourage" their learning is to hit them where it hurts most - the bank balance. I am not a believer in litigous solutions but these media types should quit thinking they're special or that their output is even wanted or useful in every situation. I'm sick of their self importance and manipulations.

These multinationals do not learn from the suffering of others as they are driven by the bottom line.

The only way to "encourage" their learning is to hit them where it hurts most - the bank balance. I am not a believer in litigous solutions but these media types should quit thinking they're special or that their output is even wanted or useful in every situation. I'm sick of their self importance and manipulations.

That does it for me too Keith. :thumbsup:

Pat

Supporter
Ms Logan was the CBS chief foreign correspondent. I suspect she was trying to get the best coverage and story possible. I cannot believe that she or anyone at CBS accurately assessed the risks. Perhaps they naively accepted the general media storyline that these are all democracy leaning people yearning to lift the yoke of oppression and be free.
To make another political rant about corporate evil distracts from the facts and only obscures the truth. This is a violent mob and the horrible nature of this act speaks volumes to the true nature of some of its elements, just as it reflects on the heroism of the women and soldiers that rescued her. Thankfully, she is now safe and as was said earlier, I hope she finds the strength to endure the emotional scars that will always remain.
If this movement is ever to merit any of the high-minded media coverage, it will be interesting to see if anyone is ever brought to justice for this. I suspect that effort will have the same zeal (or lack thereof) to address the continued murdering of Christians.

One quick comment:
- she probably volunteered for it as it was her job
- probably being liberal, she expected that the crowd would have accepted her and left her in peace
- if any of you saw comments about Code Pink and their involvement in Egypt (they were praised by the crowds for giving moral support to the uprising), being from the media (leftward leaning), she expected to be given a free ride through and get the best stories

Let us see what comes out of this. Thank God she is safe, and the two from Fox News that were roughed up last week.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Firstly I am disgusted this happened and wish her a speedy recovery but why was she there in the first place? (Perhaps she'll retire)

The UK government website
Egypt travel advice

pertenant part is
We continue to advise against all but essential travel to Cairo (includes all four governorates of Cairo, Giza, Helwan and 6 October), Alexandria and Suez. Travel along the Suez Canal, which is operating normally, is not affected by this advice.

Now I'm sure the US government also advises similar caution.

So WHY was she there?
Why were all the foreign reporters there?
Why are the foreigners pumping so much cash int Egypt before and now presumably after this will continue?

I'd say leave them to their own devices - and let them sort their own systems.
To the Journo's if you did not report on the "crap" it will to a large extent "go away" as it's only people trying to get on a soap box

Sorry if it sounds hard but I do think they have themselves to blame

Ian

Keith

Veek, it is not intended as a 'rant' against corporate evil but corporate greed, cash and ratings. Tell me that the media are not driven by these things and then tell me how useful this coverage is/was and whether it was worth this brutal attack. Cynically, because of the outcome, I would have to say yes - CBS ratings are through the roof.

The arrogance of these media types is breathtaking. How about the 'embedded' British photographer in Afghanistan who lost 2 legs and an arm last week. What the f*** was going on? Why was he there with US forces? To compile action shots for their regimental Year Book?

With Power comes Responsibility and these companies have armies of spinners who will convince you that they sit on the right hand of God Himself.

To me, they are worthless useless parasites and a curse on society. The rolling news format requires refreshment at any cost however tenuous the subject (usually only speculation). Everyone surely knows that there is nothing like the sight of a TV crew to 'get things going' especially if it is a Western one.

Also Veek, I will rant if I want to if that's what you will call it. I have nothing but contempt for the media and I am using their tools to have MY say. Would you deny me that and yet grant them their right to their biased, arrogant manipulation of World events? Rants even?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Crappy situation. She was asked to leave the country, left and returned. Poor decision making...

Crappy situation. She was asked to leave the country, left and returned. Poor decision making...

Neal, if that's true, then she is a very silly woman. Or is it arrogance? I don't know her, so I can't make that judgement. However, if she was asked to leave and she did return, then she must bear a portion of the responsibility for what happenned to her.

Arrogant, and thought that she as a woman, working for a liberal news outlet, would be above being attacked. Think again guys about who these people in the Middle East are.

I think most of you folks know the answer.

This was an angry mob, I will grant you that, and what they did was disgusting, but let's look at a couple of facts...

A doctor in Egypt earns around 80 dollars a month...

Musharef has stashed a fortune estimated to be between 40 and 60 BILLION dollars...all thanks to his "democracy"...

Where there is an effect, there is always a cause. It ain't hard to see why this is a very angry populace.

Graham, BBC Radio 4 dispelled that myth the other night. Mubarak made less than $1000/month on his official salary. The one US correspondent said that even if Mubarak had made through all sorts of illegal means $50K per annum, it was a lot of money. Someone blew that up bigtime.

But poverty is part of the cause of the problem. The other is the Muslim Brotherhood, the expansion of Islam and the explosion in Tunisia of unrest. Now we see it in Baharain, Libya, Jordan et el.

Not good times.

In reality these are great times because the Muslim world is Turing in on itself. Not that Muslims as a whole are evil people just that the ones in power are. I have said it many times before the only time we will have peace in the middle east is when all of the old timers and their jaded A$$ BACK WARDS VIEWS are long gone. EGYPT was just the start. I just hope that Israel can hold on long enough to give this movement a chance before removing them off the face of the planet.

Back