Horse power ,what horse power

A lot of folks I talk to say that American horsepower is less than UK horsepower.
If an engine built in the USA is shipped abroad it somehow losses H.P. in transit !
Is that because all americans think big or maybe they can't add up correctly.
I thought this Thread might bring a few comments in.

Been discussed before Keith and it's a bit like comparing Shetland ponies and Shires...:lipsrsealed:

Just kiddin' and like a lot of things in life, it's not necessarily what you've got, more how well you use it..

As found through the chrch iof Google... Mechanical Horsepower is used in the US and sometimes in the U.K. in automotive industry and defined as 1 hp = 33,000 ft·lbf/min = 0.74569987158 Kilowatts (kW). Please note that it's about 1.4% more than metric horsepower .US hp is used on domestic market, that means that American cars, SUVs and trucks sold outside of the United States can be marketed with metric specifications including metric horse powers

If I remember, its the reason why they had toup the power on the Veyron, as they were quoting US HP and it was falling short in Europe and the mutli-millionaires complained that they were mis-advertising!

Thanks for that Brett much clearer now !
I thought it was the idle ditch switch on the fugle shaft that was smaller my 0.067 %.
Then having a crankshaft of just 17,0003 millenium centimeters smaller than UK options led to this shortfall in real H.P.

" I WISH I HADN'T ASKED "

Cheers

Keith,

I need to bring this topic back to the route cause:

It's the liberals here in the US that tout overblown HP figures and disregard the facts brought up by the conservatives in EU and by Brett!

(I thought I'd make the discussion more in tune with what usually is debated in the Paddock)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

I need to bring this topic back to the route cause:

It's the liberals here in the US that tout overblown HP figures and disregard the facts brought up by the conservatives in EU and by Brett!

(I thought I'd make the discussion more in tune with what usually is debated in the Paddock)
C'mon Doc deep down you know it's the fault of those grumpy old white conservatives. Members of the tea party all of them.

Back