Hedrick Speedsports; GT40 Active Power Cars build

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
Ok folks. Here is the “start” of my GT40 build log. I am starting with an Active Power Cars, Chris Ardern chassis and it is the +4” stretch. I did have a lot of the body work done with Chris, prior to it being shipped to me in Florida, hence why it looks more complete than others from Chris. I am in Ormond Beach, FL which is just North of Daytona Beach. My background is motorsports and I’m an X-boat racer (Offshore Powerboats) and a SCCA road racer, mostly Spec Miata’s, Mustang T2’s and Mazda RX7 Endurance cars, as well as WKA Shifter Karts. We are building this car more as a “resto-mod” GT40 that I will track some and go get coffee in (really fast trips) and it will be powered by a 351W (EFI) & 997 Transaxle. I’m a huge Gulf livery fan, but I don’t expect it to be a traditional Gulf livery car, maybe. Some details: Superformance GT40 seats, Speedhut gauges, Sabelt harness’, custom widen Halibrand-Style pin-drive wheels, tires are front: 275/40ZR-17 & rear: 335/35ZR-17.

So, these are the basics of my build and here are a few pics that I “hope” you all will dig. And I’ll update as I can, but I’m subcontracting some work by others, so photos may be slow coming.

Cheers, Ben

20230423_100530.jpg

20230423_100525.jpg

20230422_114927.jpg

20230410_102331.jpg

20230912_110321.jpg

20230912_120122.jpg

Seeing yours with all of the body parts nicely lined up and a single consistent color, I truly believe the +4 looks better than the original.

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
Seeing yours with all of the body parts nicely lined up and a single consistent color, I truly believe the +4 looks better than the original.

Brian, you know you aren’t the 1st to mention that. And I too LOVE the original GT40’s but, I agree that this little bit longer GT40, makes the GT40 look just a little faster and a little meaner/leaner…

Ben

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
You saved yourself a lot of headaches by having Chris's shop start the bodywork...ask me how I know.

Yes, I think so too. I am NOT a body guy and I knew that effort would heavily delay my build. It added months to the project leaving it at Chris’s but I agree the effort paid off.

Ben

The body fitment looks fantastic.

Would you mind me asking how much extra $$ this additional body prep cost from AP?

Ok folks. Here is the “start” of my GT40 build log. I am starting with an Active Power Cars, Chris Ardern chassis and it is the +4” stretch. I did have a lot of the body work done with Chris, prior to it being shipped to me in Florida, hence why it looks more complete than others from Chris. I am in Ormond Beach, FL which is just North of Daytona Beach. My background is motorsports and I’m an X-boat racer (Offshore Powerboats) and a SCCA road racer, mostly Spec Miata’s, Mustang T2’s and Mazda RX7 Endurance cars, as well as WKA Shifter Karts. We are building this car more as a “resto-mod” GT40 that I will track some and go get coffee in (really fast trips) and it will be powered by a 351W (EFI) & 997 Transaxle. I’m a huge Gulf livery fan, but I don’t expect it to be a traditional Gulf livery car, maybe. Some details: Superformance GT40 seats, Speedhut gauges, Sabelt harness’, custom widen Halibrand-Style pin-drive wheels, tires are front: 275/40ZR-17 & rear: 335/35ZR-17.

So, these are the basics of my build and here are a few pics that I “hope” you all will dig. And I’ll update as I can, but I’m subcontracting some work by others, so photos may be slow coming.

Cheers, Ben

View attachment 132463
View attachment 132465
View attachment 132466
View attachment 132467

View attachment 132468

View attachment 132469
Hi Ben .. nice build .. your Gear Selector captured my interest ... I would be interested in where you sourced it and how you have found it so far ... Thanks Mark

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
Hi Ben .. nice build .. your Gear Selector captured my interest ... I would be interested in where you sourced it and how you have found it so far ... Thanks Mark
Mark,
My shifter came from Active. I'm sure they can source you one too. Contact them.

Ben

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
So here are some updated photos of our 351/w stroker 410CID with Jim Inglese Weber stacks! Here we have our AC and Alternator setup installed. If NOTHING else, this engine looks Gooooooooood.... :cool: We currently have running this Canton oil pan but we think it might be too deep and we'll need to go with something different.

20240120_124345.jpg
20240120_124338.jpg
20240120_124309.jpg

Ben,

Would you mind me asking how much extra $$ this additional body prep cost from AP?

This seems like a much better starting point for a project than some of the less prepped AP build on here (bodywork scares me a lot more than the mechanical work).
Plus, I have a suspicion that when you order your car like this from them, they probably use the best fitting / least warped body pieces to start with, so its less work for them to deliver this. Meanwhile, the guy who orders a more bare bones kit gets the warped panels... (just a suspicion)

This build is almost exactly what I would want to do:
long wheelbase MK1, 351 motor with fuel injection, etc.

Good luck. Looking forward to updates.

Ben Hedrick

Supporter
Ben,

This seems like a much better starting point for a project than some of the less prepped AP build on here (bodywork scares me a lot more than the mechanical work).
Plus, I have a suspicion that when you order your car like this from them, they probably use the best fitting / least warped body pieces to start with, so its less work for them to deliver this. Meanwhile, the guy who orders a more bare bones kit gets the warped panels... (just a suspicion)

This build is almost exactly what I would want to do:
long wheelbase MK1, 351 motor with fuel injection, etc.

Good luck. Looking forward to updates.
Matt,
I'm not sure I can accurately answer your question but, A. I didn't track the extra cost that AP charged me for the bodywork (sorry) and B. No special body part were chosen I know, because my car was already assembled when I bought it and I sent it back to AP for the body work prep. Frank who was AP's body guy at the time, did all of the work for me but since AP has been sold and moved, so I doubt Frank is still doing any of their bodywork.
I haven't seen many AP cars in person, but several people that are WAY more familiar with AP's GT40's and other GT40's, tell me that my bodywork has been done VERY WELL!!! I know that doesn't answer your question or help you much but Todd, the new owner of AP is GREAT to work with, so I'd recommend calling Todd about his GT40 cars now and their bodywork.

And thanks for the Kudos!! My 351w (stroked 410) is coming out well, but IDA Webers now, no EFI.

Take care, Ben

Back