The 5% fifteen year solution.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It's easy Bob

You guys will just have to start using bigger "Imperial" gallons not those small ones you currently use

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
While I do think the mileage targets are high and overly optimistic, that article is confusing CAFE mpg numbers with window sticker EPA estimates and makes it seem worse than it really is.

CAFE numbers are not the same as EPA estimates for a particular car. The Road and Track on sale right now has a good article on CAFE and tells the true story. There are so many modifiers to the calculations that CAFE has very little to do with real world fuel economy.

While I do think the mileage targets are high and overly optimistic, that article is confusing CAFE mpg numbers with window sticker EPA estimates and makes it seem worse than it really is.

CAFE numbers are not the same as EPA estimates for a particular car. The Road and Track on sale right now has a good article on CAFE and tells the true story. There are so many modifiers to the calculations that CAFE has very little to do with real world fuel economy.

Yeah, the numbers they throw around are simply coming from the non engineering, politicians and bureaucrats.

I've attended a few industry forums on complying with "green" in the HVAC industry. The new SEER numbers coming out of California are unobtainable right now, and the equipment is so large that at times we would have to hire a crane to lift a new condensor over the house because it was too wide to get through the side gate!

When I asked the government supplied speaker if these greater SEER requirements were arrived at by engineers or bureaucrat/politicians, the guy honest and admitted it had nothing to do with engineering. I won't bore you with the insane requirements they are bringing on line to charge a system with the proper amount of refrigerant.

What concerns me is the unbridled non-scientific rush to fundamentally change the vehicles we are allowed to drive.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What concerns me is the unbridled non-scientific rush to fundamentally change the vehicles we are allowed to drive.

I couldn't grasp the non-science part of this. The thinking going into these changes, and the rationale for them, is not being done in a vacuum, or at the dinner table. Isn't it the observation/solution process of what is happening around us driving this path? It iobviously is not as simple as, do this, and that will happen, process, and must be tied into other aspects of our lifestyles. Granted, some of this does not make sense when looking at it through a straw, and politics touches every single decision made in this country anymore, but...

I couldn't grasp the non-science part of this. The thinking going into these changes, and the rationale for them, is not being done in a vacuum, or at the dinner table. Isn't it the observation/solution process of what is happening around us driving this path? It iobviously is not as simple as, do this, and that will happen, process, and must be tied into other aspects of our lifestyles. Granted, some of this does not make sense when looking at it through a straw, and politics touches every single decision made in this country anymore, but...

Non scientific in pushing these technologies when the science hasn't been developed yet. The air is so much cleaner than in the sixties and we have SO, SO many more cars on the road, and yet we are told there's a desperate need to dump the most efficient system available, oil/internal combustion. AND we have more oil than any other area to boot.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Non scientific in pushing these technologies when the science hasn't been developed yet. The air is so much cleaner than in the sixties and we have SO, SO many more cars on the road, and yet we are told there's a desperate need to dump the most efficient system available, oil/internal combustion. AND we have more oil than any other area to boot.

Was the improvement in the air quality since the sixties yet another non-scientific pushing of technology? I quite sure that back then, there were those that said the following:

"What concerns me is the unbridled non-scientific rush to fundamentally change the vehicles we are allowed to drive."

or

"Non scientific in pushing these technologies when the science hasn't been developed yet."

Pushing is what results in developing. No push...no development.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Terry,

I remember back in 1968 when the first smog control laws came, the Bobs of the world were incensed with these ridiculous unproven smog laws.

Was the improvement in the air quality since the sixties yet another non-scientific pushing of technology? I quite sure that back then, there were those that said the following:

"What concerns me is the unbridled non-scientific rush to fundamentally change the vehicles we are allowed to drive."

or

"Non scientific in pushing these technologies when the science hasn't been developed yet."

Pushing is what results in developing. No push...no development.

It was horrible in the fifties and sixties, and something was done. Now, it isn't about clean air anymore. Now its re-distribution of wealth. Even the IPCC admitted it.

Thursday, 18 November 2010 13:16 Neue Zürcher Zeitung

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental protection, says the German economist and IPCC official Ottmar Edenhofer. The next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economy summit during which the distribution of the world’s resources will be negotiated"

Yes Terry,

I remember back in 1968 when the first smog control laws came, the Bobs of the world were incensed with these ridiculous unproven smog laws.

Hey Jim, what compression ratio does the engine in your Forty have? What type of fuel does it need? How much advance can you add to the timing before it starts pinging. How much do you gap the points in your distributor? What gap on your spark plugs? What brand are they? What's your opinion on the exotic plugs vs. the good old copper plugs? Which is your SBF happier with? What type oil does it use? What type of trans fluid do you use? What kind of shift mechanism do you use? Have you ever adjusted it? How?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
It was horrible in the fifties and sixties, and something was done. Now, it isn't about clean air anymore. Now its re-distribution of wealth. Even the IPCC admitted it.

Okay, I've lost the connection of the non-scientific basis of how our air was cleaned up, to this thing about distribution of wealth, to self maintenance on one's own car?

Okay, I've lost the connection of the non-scientific basis of how our air was cleaned up, to this thing about distribution of wealth, to self maintenance on one's own car?

Sorry Terry, that's a little side note. Ever since Jim posted this,

Cliff is absolutely right, this is a car forum. By far majority of Cliffs posts are car related, with an occasional "paddock" discussion.

Your posts have nothing to do with cars. You only insult and devide, nothing else. You have absolutely no right to come here and pull this crap! Have you no sense of decency?

I've been trying learn from him more about cars.

Back