Le Mans Classic - Recounting True Stories

Charlie Farley

Supporter
My Uncle recounted this story at this year's Le Mans Classic.
On the sunday night, not having to join in the mad rush to leave the circuit camping, we retired to the house and had an enjoyable bbq and frankly an inebriated evening, sitting out in the garden. Jokes were flying round , but i think this one of the best stories told.

Two of his friends were travelling in France with a landrover towing a rigid inflatable boat. During their journey, they heard an intermittent noise behind them. They pulled over and inspected both the car and trailer. It was soon realised that a metal brace on the trailer had parted company from the trailer at one end and was dragging along the road. It was decided that the best course of action was to unload the boat off the trailer, leave it on the road's hard shoulder and take the trailer to the local village, to get the trailer fixed.
One of them remained with the boat. After an hour or so the landrover returned and they both waited for a phone call from the local garage repairing the trailer, to tell them when the repairs had been completed.

While both driver and friend were waiting in the landrover a motorcyclist from the French Gendarmerie pulled up behind them. He got off his motorcycle and approached the landrover and boat. Whilst removing his leather gauntlets he addressed the occupants of the landrover..
" Excuze me Monsieur, you cannet parc ere , it contraveenz zee law , you must move immediatment "
The two english guys looked at each other and one turned to the officer and said “ but officer, we cant,we don’t have a trailer for the boat” The french officer looked at the situation, shook his head and said “ Quelle Bizarre “ before mounting his bike and riding off.

Back