I've always loved Great Britain!

I cannot even begin to express my jubilation over this rather sudden and extremely rare appearance of common sence.

HIP HIP, HURAH

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Steady on chaps. There has been no change in government policy at the moment. However, I'm sure we would all welcome it. The other funny aspect of this 'free' energy nonsense is the number of huge glass panels appearing on peoples rooves. If they waited for another six months or so, they could buy roof tiles that generate power and that all connect together and do the same thing without spoiling the roofline of their houses. Oh well......

The ambulance-chaser legal bods are already advertising, "have you been mis-sold solar panels" in our local paper. Not sure if the phenomenon of over-playing the generating abilities of solar pv has been limited to Worcestershire alone, (I suspect not). But I expect most home-owners that bought into the idea on merit, will be discovering they were 'had'.

The savvy ones that bought into it for the original feed-in-tariff subsidy won't care. Those who missed the 43p per kWh bonanza will rue the day and likely feel duped.

Anyone want to buy some cheap solar pv panels? I know a supplier who is preparred to virtually give them away now that the market is getting the true picture. A warehouse stacked to the roof with the bloody things they can't shift.

Keith

Confused.

I fort that stuff wos skylights on rooves like innit.

The only soler pannel I no abaht is on top me 'ead wot powers the sex machine like innit. Yo, massiv.

Confused.

I fort that stuff wos skylights on rooves like innit.

The only soler pannel I no abaht is on top me 'ead wot powers the sex machine like innit. Yo, massiv.

I'd like to dedicate this next number to our very own sex machine,,,,,,,,,,,hit it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLepeyGhRKk]JAMES BROWN Sex Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Subject: Investments

If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have £49.00 today.
If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in AIG insurance company one year ago, you would have £33.00 today.
If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers five years ago, you would have nothing today.
If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Northern Rock three years ago, you would have nothing today

But, if you had purchased £1,000 worth of beer one year ago at Tesco's, drunk all the beer, then taken the aluminium cans to
the scrap metal dealer, you would have received £214.00.
Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle.

A recent study found that the average Briton walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found that Britons drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means that, on average, Britons get about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you proud to be British!

Keith

OK UK people, if you're serious about wanting/not wanting wind farms I urge you to have a look at this and make your opinions known.

There is a proposal to place one of these ridiculous monstrosities in an area that not only has outstanding natural beauty (The Jurassic Coast), is in one the nation's busiest areas for leisure boating, is in the path of major sized cruise liners & other large commercial vessels entering the Western Solent, but is also sited in an area where the prevailing South Westerly winds are variable and unpredictable.

If you have to have these bastard creations then there must be better sites.

Anyway, all the major sites are listed here with consultation extended until February 2013 because the Govt were not happy with the developers public consultation ethic (I wonder why)

Round Three wind farms: make sure your views are heard | News | News & Events | RYA

Interesting perspective from a friend who works in the wind turbine manufacturing industry (who shall remain nameless). I sent him that newspaper article, and his response was:

=======

As a taxpayer who subsidizes windmills, I have to say that I’ve always had doubts regarding the use of my money to fund an energy source that can’t stand on its own and couldn’t exist without heavy government subsidies.

I won’t pretend that now that I work for a company that builds precisely those devices that I’ve suddenly changed camps, but some points from the opposing view to take into account.

1) The hope is that the governments will subsidize the industry until the technology improves sufficiently to actually be viable on its own. The generators are 2x more efficient now than 5 years ago – i.e. they produce double the electricity with the same wind now compared to 5 years ago. They are expected to be twice as efficient again in another 5 years. I’m sure that someone has done a study to see how much they would need to improve in order to not need artificial aids in order to survive, but I don’t have that information.

2) Yes they are expensive, but I’d rather spend the money investing in new technologies, paying engineers in the US (General Electric), Denmark (Vestas), Spain (Gamesa) etc. instead of spending that money buying gas from the Arabs. Vestas has 22,000 employees, and 85% are in Europe or the US.

3) Oil/gas will eventually run out, and it’s currently the cheapest energy source. When the cheapest energy source has been used up, we need something else, and by definition it won’t be as cheap as gas. Personally I’d be happy with nuclear power (While in college I worked in a nuke plant during the summers for a couple of years) but after the incident in Japan, people are freaking out about nukes. Nuclear plants are also fantastically expensive to build. So wind isn’t as cheap as gas, true. But when we’ve run out, it may be the cheapest source available?

The global market has tanked in 2013, and we’re preparing and carrying out major downsizing. A lot of European countries have enough financial problems without pouring money into new wind farms, the US has ended a major tax-incentive program for them, so the market has stagnated. But the experts expect it to return to 2012 levels by 2018, and predict a future for the technology. Personally I believe it, as it’ll be tough to build new nuclear plants, old ones will be retired, and there won’t be much choice in the mid- to long-term. But we’ll see what happens!

In the meantime, keep on blowing, wind!!!!

====

Personally, I'm firmly in the camp that says that further construction of these things should be banned unless and until they can be made to produce power at least as economically as other means of power production, without any deception or sleight-of-hand. We got scammed by our politicians and got way ahead of ourselves, building massive wind farms before the technology was developed to a point where such a thing would be reasonable to do.

Keith

Personally, I'm firmly in the camp that says that further construction of these things should be banned unless and until they can be made to produce power at least as economically as other means of power production, without any deception or sleight-of-hand. We got scammed by our politicians and got way ahead of ourselves, building massive wind farms before the technology was developed to a point where such a thing would be reasonable to do.

Now, THAT's what I'm talking about... :)

DQWindmill.gif

Back