New battery technology - break through!

Even though I am just down the road from Tesla, I still am amazed at how many Tesla S models are roaming the streets locally. Things are damn near as popular as BMWs around here! Beautiful cars, reasonably priced. Now about that battery range... maybe this development will make them into 'real' cars. Way, way cool.

Bravo to the researchers at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign! I hope it scales and can be produced at a marketable price.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If these make it into the mainstream, the electric powered vehicle market will florish almost immediately!

I have often thought about what will happen if a battery becomes as energy dense as say, gasoline.

One of the questions I have is: what happens when a vehicle carrying one of these batteries crashes and the battery gets damaged creating an internal short? Does the battery become a bomb as it discharges into itself?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Math question. What is the equivalent energy in watts of 30 gals of gasoline? That's about, lets say, all it 200 pounds with the gas tank, pumps lines etc. So if we had a battery that weighted something on the order of 200 pounds and was about the size of a 30 gal fuel tank how many watts would it produce nearly instantaneously if it was all released very quickly.

Kinda like a gas tank catching on fire and burning vigorously until it was expended. I'll be fair and acknowledge that it is rare that there is an explosion. Usually just a big hot fire. However, batteries usually heat very quickly when internally shorted and produce explosive gasses that then explode. One big battery, or all the cells in the same container, would be a bad idea. My guess is that several batteries spread about the car would be safer, although more expensive.

The other problem is putting the fire out. Gas is fairly easy to extinguish. Cool it and/or remove the oxygen. An electrical fire on the other hand, usually burns until the current is cut off. This will present a new issue for fire departments. I have wondered about electric cars stored in a home garage for example. Insurance companies will quickly access risk if there is a perceived wide spread risk of electric cars burning down houses for example. This is becoming a question concerning solar systems on wood roofs as more and more homes install them. In both the solar and electric car question, insurance companies will begin to worry when the currently relatively small numbers become more wide spread and thus the ability to spread the isolated risk of these types of electrical systems is diminished by the rules of large numbers.

The bottom line is that a battery that can produce the energy density of gas will more than likely, be more dangerous than gas on several levels.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Well I think that most car fuel tanks these days are more on the order of 20 gallons than 30, but you pose an interesting question...

My old 2007 Camry Hybrid had a 330v battery pack in it.. No idea what it weighed..

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Making newer electric storage systems safe can present a number of problems, just ask Boing.

But I'm certain that with time this type of energy storage can be made safe.

Here is what the "experts" said about the internal combustion engine when it was new.......

A new source of power... called gasoline has been produced by a Boston engineer. Instead of burning the fuel under a boiler, it is exploded inside the cylinder of an engine.

The dangers are obvious. Stores of gasoline in the hands of people interested primarily in profit would constitute a fire and explosive hazard of the first rank. Horseless carriages propelled by gasoline might attain speeds of 14 or even 20 miles per hour. The menace to our people of vehicles of this type hurtling through our streets and along our roads and poisoning the atmosphere would call for prompt legislative action even if the military and economic implications were not so overwhelming... [T]he cost of producing [gasoline] is far beyond the financial capacity of private industry... In addition the development of this new power may displace the use of horses, which would wreck our agriculture.
- U. S. Congressional Record, 1875.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
"The energy density is slightly lower, but the power density is 2,000 times greater. "

In other words, this technology store LESS energy (i.e. has less range in your electric car). But it can deliver (or accept) that energy faster. So it's great for building a drag racer or arc welding. And it's great for shortening charging time. And charging time is one of the many objections to electric cars. But range is another one and there's no improvement to that here.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Small in size, big on power: New microbatteries a boost for electronics | News Bureau | University of Illinois
Another link with much of the same, but -----

“Any kind of electronic device is limited by the size of the battery – until now,” King said. “Consider personal medical devices and implants, where the battery is an enormous brick, and it’s connected to itty-bitty electronics and tiny wires. Now the battery is also tiny.”

So from the sound of it, the new technology is much smaller.
Would this mean that they could jam more cells into a given area to recover that lost energy density?

I was given a lithium battery for my 40, it is the size of a motor bike battery it is 400cca and it weights nothing.
It feels like its an empty box.

Jim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That sounds interesting Jim!

It's my understanding that it takes very special charge controllers to charge Li-ION batteries. Not so sure if that also applies to Lithium though.
Same holds true for AGM batteries like the Odysee and Optima et al.

Back