Really, seriously?

The Federal Government which has "Tomahawk" cruise missiles, "Apache", "Blackhawk", "Kiowa" and "Lakota" helicopters and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama Bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the "Washington Redskins". Really, seriously?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The Federal Government which has "Tomahawk" cruise missiles, "Apache", "Blackhawk", "Kiowa" and "Lakota" helicopters and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama Bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the "Washington Redskins". Really, seriously?

How completely STOOOOOPID can people get?

There are no words that accurately describe how FED UP I am with all this kinda "P.C." horse crap.

How completely STOOOOOPID can people get?

There are no words that accurately describe how FED UP I am with all this kinda "P.C." horse crap.

Its the way useless and irrelevant snippets of information can circumnavigate the globe in milliseconds that gets me Larry. Facetube, twitterbook , Sinterest and the others are brimming with this mind numbing stuff, worse than that there are no shortage of folk with opinions on it:stunned: PC would probably die a death without the web.

Bob

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...PC would probably die a death without the web.

Bob

I dunno, Bob. 'Take away the web and we'd STILL have T.V.'s 'talking heads' and the media wouldn't we...and politicians...and Hollywood? 'Know what I'm sayin'? :shifty:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Was there a reason given why they...object to the name?

The names are "offensive" to 'native' people...read that; a few native people here and there...and "a few" people pushing any "p.c." cause are all it takes to crank up the "p.c." RATH machine and begin a scorched earth rampage.

The JOKE here is that all this stuff started after "P.C." WHITE PEOPLE started telling "natives" that the name "Indian" was an insult! I'm sure that came as news to THEM just as it did to the rest of us ('sorta like when we all found out that describing an African American as "articulate" is an insult! Who knew?).

BTW, the U.S. govt STILL has "The Bureau of INDIAN Affairs". I suspect it won't take more than 137 Billion dollars to change that to "The Bureau of Indigenous Peoples' Affairs" ('gotta be plural 'cause there are numerous tribes - uh - NATIONS - within our borders, and, after all, we wouldn't wanna OFFEND anybody, now would we).

It's 4 A.M....I'm going back to bed...

How about naming the next attack helicopter the WOGG. Will that offend anybody? Should put suitable fear in the hearts of our nations' enemies.

How about naming the next attack helicopter the WOGG. Will that offend anybody? Should put suitable fear in the hearts of our nations' enemies.
It would be really slow, forget where it was going, what it was going to do, urinate often, and occasionally have a surprise with a flatulence.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My understanding is that the issue is the trademark aspect of it. PC came along later.

But, the trademark aspect was never an issue (public or otherwise) before "P.C." came along, was it? I really don't recall.

And, in any event, govt has proven time and again that, for the most part, it can do as it darn well pleases in any area w/o having to sweat lawsuits.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Aw well hippocracy is alive and well in the halls of power. I am sure that most of this P.C. Bollocks emanates from small minded people who get some sort of power kick from dreaming up shit like this.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter

Disclaimer: I think the uproar over the use of the words "Indian" or "Redskin" is silly. However, the uproar over the Government's position on this is just as silly.

Class! Class! Time for an elementary school lesson on American history:

Lakota: name of Indian tribe (the Sioux)
Apache: same
Blackhawk: same
Kiowa: same
Geronimo: name of famous Apache warrior
Tomahawk: a tool/weapon
Redskin: a pejorative used throughout American history as a derogatory term referring to Native Americans.

Now class, which of those is not like the other?

And, is it possible to see why the Government may have taken the position it did?

Keith

Well he may have a faintly (!) antagonising way of putting a point across, but I've got to go with Jeff on this one...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Somehow I get the impression that one day the only acceptable names for sports teams will be as follows:

The Team from Washington, D.C.
The Team from Miami, Florida
The Team from Chicago, Illinois
The Team from Seattle, Washington
etc., etc.

Buuuuuuuut, I'm sure the 'word police' will somehow manage to find something 'offensive' about that as well and the you-know-what will continue to hit the fan.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'll up you one...The team names will be the sponsor names. First it was the stadium names changed, then race track names (instead of the city where they were located), so next the teams will be referenced by the sponsors rather than the owners or drivers. The Talladega 500 became the Winston 500, the Sears Diehard 500, back and forth to Talladega, and I think now its the GEICO 500. Who knows what race is where anymore.

Last edited:

Keith

I think the funniest one was Donington Park Raceway in the Midlands here in the UK which was known as "Simply Sausages Race Track" for a couple of years..

Simply stupid more like..:huh:

Found this list of worldwide teams and sponsor names...

List_of_teams_named_after_a_sponsor

Sorry, no graphs...:dizzy:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'll up you one...The team names will be the sponsor names. First it was the stadium names changed, then race track names (instead of the city where they were located), so next the teams will be referenced by the sponsors rather than the owners or drivers. The Talladega 500 became the Winston 500, the Sears Diehard 500, back and forth to Talladega, and I think now its the GEICO 500. Who knows what race is where anymore.

'Certainly can't argue with that. You may very well be right.

But, no matter what, Terry, you can bet there'll be someone or some group who'll find a way to be OFFENDED regardless.

All the mindless p.c. crap will never end unless and until sane people individually take it upon themselves to grow a backbone and push back hard eveytime members of the 'p.c. police' start spouting their b.s.

Where's my Bacardi? I know it's gotta be noon somewhere...:evil:

Back