Mid-engine vette?

For what its worth....

You like rumors? Hot, hard-to-resist rumors? Here’s one to jack your blood pressure through the roof! The next Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will be mid-engined. That’s right, kids! Multiple sources have told us that the next version of the Corvette ZR1 will be mid-engined. One of these sources even stated that the next-generation Corvette -- the C8 -- will ship with its engine mounted in the middle. The rendering above, by Tom Matsumoto, shows what the mid-engined Corvette could look like.
Yes, yes -- we know -- another story about a mid-engine Corvette. Will this madness never end? This particular fantasy tale, as some of you know, seems to have been continuously reported on since 1963 when the CERV II was built. The father of the Corvette -- Zora Arkus-Duntov -- seriously wanted to build a mid-engine ’Vette. Only GM’s cement-shoed board stopped him. Chevrolet tried again in 1964 with the (admittedly rear-engined) XP-819 and then again with the XP-882 in 1969. Next came the XP-895 in 1972, the two-rotor (and Porsche 914-based!) XP-897GT in 1973 (odd side note: the XP-897GT eventually got a Mazda 13B mated to a front-drive Cadillac transmission installed by its private owner in 1997), the Aerovette in 1976 and finally the CERV III in 1986... (much more)
Scoop! Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette is a Go - Motor Trend
attachment.php

Fords done it right like 4 separate times I can think of in a mental search. Fiero is as close LOL as GM has gotten (and I have an SCCA winning Fiero as Im laughing at this). Their GTO version of the Fiero would have been cool if that thought pattern had made it back to production.

Don't forget GM's all time great, the 1964 Chevrolet rear-engined Corvair Monza Spyder. Yes, of course this is was where both Ferrari and Porsche stole the dynamic name, SPYDER, and Monza got the name for their race track in Italy! The reasons speak for themselves, non? True classics always set the standards for all others to follow.

1964_Corvair_Spyder_Conv-red=mx=.jpg

The Daytona Prototype Vette looks pretty cool as a starting point. A more graceful greenhouse profile and I could easily see a mid-engine Corvette coming into existence. Ever since the GTP Corvette I wondered why Chevy did not get more bold on that decision.

Jack, nah just your typical production based variety....fun, just not fast.

Corvairs, had their junk hung out the rear like a 911. Imps were fun too, but not in same vane as midengine Vette. I didn't forget these cute cars in my encompassing statement, just stating that GM hasn't been as adventurous. Don't challenge AMC, anyone that could have built the PACER had b@lls :)

Ron Earp

Admin
Not going to happen. The new Corvette Z06 IS one of the world's best supercars. No longer is it a "well, it's good for the money" and even the naysayers have given up complaining about the pushrod engine. The car flat out gets it done in any company. So, no performance advantage to changing the formula. It'd be akin to the 911 going mid-engine.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not going to happen. The new Corvette Z06 IS one of the world's best supercars. No longer is it a "well, it's good for the money" and even the naysayers have given up complaining about the pushrod engine. The car flat out gets it done in any company. So, no performance advantage to changing the formula. It'd be akin to the 911 going mid-engine.

Could not have said it better myself.....

Why would they intentionally eff-up a winning combination?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
When I see it at the local Chevy dealer, I'll believe it.

Havn't they been talking about a mid-engine vette for the last 50yrs or so.

At least since 1970, yes.

They have cried wolf too many times. C7 just came out so it'd be another 8yrs before they update again.

Not going to happen....be akin to the 911 going mid-engine.

Gentlemen:

Would you believe I just got a call today from a certain VERY high volume Corvette dealer back East during the course of which I was told the mid-engine 'Vette IS in fact the 'real deal'. It'a about 2 years out (maybe 3) as near as they can figure. 'Dead serious.

As to why they just 'happened' to call me , I'm saying nothing...:lipsrsealed:

Last edited:
Never say Never, lot of things happening at GM that 'could' point to this, look at the transaxles now in use and being a vette it only has to be two seater.

It'd be akin to the 911 going mid-engine.
<rant>Which it should! I would have bought one if it were, but couldn't bring myself to buy such an abomination of unnecessary Engineering effort to fight Physics, just because they couldn't admit to a mistake.</rant>

I'd quite like to see a mid-engined Corvette, but mainly for the styling changes that it would allow.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The Boxster and Cayman are both mid-engined.

Admittedly, they do fall short of the performance capabilities of the 911, but the engineering is in place to fix that...but, I wouldn't hold my breath, Porsche would be foolish to "trump" the 911 when it is their long-term "legacy", so to speak.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Cayman GT4... it's coming

I hope so....I think the Cayman is a very attractive Porsche and if it is affordable it may be high on the "short list" next time I need a car.

Cheers!!!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
Never say never....

Mid-Engine Corvette Rumors Rise Again, This Time For Next ZR1 And C8

But I still don't think so. This article indicates the next Camaro might weight less than the current Corvette (BWAHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA!) and so Chebby needs to do something.

Still not feeling it. Chevy sells a lot of Corvettes to the typical vette owners, like my neighbor, who buys a new version whether he needs it or not. He won't appreciate any mid-engineness, nor would he want to pay for the increase in price to get his vette fix.

Besides that, the performance ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back