Mid-engine vette?

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I would say from a technology advancement to the Corvette, Mid engine does make some sense. If I could add to it, it would be 4 wheel drive to. The Corvette is a engineering marvel. A super car that a large number can afford. It still could be better. Why not?

Local lad here has just bought a Sareni GT3 Camaro, in amongst the specs I see it weighs ~2845 lb which is approx ~950 lb less than the road version. 2014 Vette is ~3300lb. Soooo it should be possible for GM to get the Camaro base or race versions down under vette weights, getting USA customers to do without bells & whistles in order to achieve that might be another story.

Ron Earp

Admin
Local lad here has just bought a Sareni GT3 Camaro, in amongst the specs I see it weighs ~2845 lb which is approx ~950 lb less than the road version. 2014 Vette is ~3300lb. Soooo it should be possible for GM to get the Camaro base or race versions down under vette weights, getting USA customers to do without bells & whistles in order to achieve that might be another story.

Not sure what a Sareni GT3 Camaro is, but it isn't one sold through the Chebby USA website. All of those factory produced Camaros, the lightest of which is the V6 base model, start at 37XX pounds.

And we're not talking about race versions in GM's press releases, but street versions. Ford or GM haven't produced a <3000 lb four place pony car since the early 90s. And even then it was a four banger.

The base 1996 Ford Mustang V6 manual no option car we just tore down for a race car weighed 3047 lbs, but it had no safety equipment required now and none of the options drivers want. And yep, NZ drivers, just like European drivers, want their bells and whistles. You and I might be okay with crank windows like the Mustang we stripped, but that isn't going to fly with the average buyer.

I'll be the naysayer and odd man out. No new production four place Camaro under 3100 lbs for the street and no mid-engine vette from GM.

Nice car but I don't think anyone, including GM is worried that the Camaro will ever be lighter than the Corvette in a production car environment.....:

Specifications | Camaro GT3 - by SaReNi United

"195,000 € (+ VAT)"

Ron Earp

Admin
It'a about 2 years out (maybe 3) as near as they can figure. 'Dead serious.

So Chevy releases a brand new Stingray Corvette only to toss it two or three years later for completely new mid-engine design? That doesn't make sense at all. And from what little I understand about car production, that would cause the division or group that produces the Corvette to lose huge sums of money.

A special extremely low volume mid-engine Corvette, something along the lines of Ford's 2005-2006 GT, seems maybe somewhat plausible and less in fantasy land. But replacing a profitable brand new car platform in 2-3 years with a much more expensive version, and throwing away a formula for success? That isn't logical.

Fran could license GM to produce a variant of the SLC. GM could light a fire under Griffin to get proper transaxles, and GM could set up a mini plant to assemble 500 or so a year. With the engineering and design already done, GM should be able to sell them for under $150K, not lose too much money, and get massive bragging rights and brand win. Call it the Corvette GTP. Should have little to no negative effect on C7 sales.

Fran would then use the extra money to create further awesomeness. Everybody wins...

JR

Fran could license GM to produce a variant of the SLC. GM could light a fire under Griffin to get proper transaxles, and GM could set up a mini plant to assemble 500 or so a year. With the engineering and design already done, GM should be able to sell them for under $150K, not lose too much money, and get massive bragging rights and brand win. Call it the Corvette GTP. Should have little to no negative effect on C7 sales.

Fran would then use the extra money to create further awesomeness. Everybody wins...

JR

Though we are going down the slippery slope on this one. I don't think GM could do it for that little. They would have to crash test and certify it, add all the safety equipment and make it meet safety standards. Then of course, you would have to have more functionality (ie roll up windows and such). The price of the car would definitely go up as well as the weight. It would also have to be easier to get in and out of, not saying it is hard now,, but with a fixed steering wheel, it's a bit more of a challenge then getting in and out of say a Corvette. I would bet the weight would be closer to 3000 when it's all said and done.

Of course on a selfish side,, you would lose a little bit of exclusivity as well, as there would be at least another 500 examples on the road (still a small number,, but figure how little of them are on the road right now).

If they do it, they better bring back those darn circle tail lights! I almost vomited when I saw Camaro tail lights on the C7 Vette :/

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A special extremely low volume mid-engine Corvette, something along the lines of Ford's 2005-2006 GT, seems maybe somewhat plausible and less in fantasy land.

I believe the gent who called me suggested something along that very line was in fact going to be the case. I think he said the STD 'Vettes would still be made...but, before I got the chance to say "What?", he'd moved on to another topic and I forgot to follow up.

But replacing a profitable brand new car platform in 2-3 years with a much more expensive version, and throwing away a formula for success? That isn't logical.

You have to remember G.M. now stands for "Government Motors", Ron. Since when has economics ever been a factor for those people? :lipsrsealed:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
It was my impression that GM had repaid the funds owed to the government and therefore was no longer controlled by the government.

Admittedly, I could be wrong...it all happened so long ago...anyone else know what has transpired in regards to governmental oversight/ownership in G.M.?

Cheers!!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
You are correct. I'm sure GM's flagship car is developed by a well-run subdivision that they don't just let anyone come in and fark up.

I'll stick to my guns, no mid-engine vette. Not seeing a logical business case for it. Can't even see a logical case for a low-volume version - the race cars are all based on the production car layout too. I could see them producing a race only version such as Ford did with a few versions of Mustangs, i.e., no title, race use only. Heck, they might already do that via GM's Performance Division but I'm not much of a GM fanboi to know.

What I do know is that new Corvette kicks ass and works really well, and in general people have enough sense to not screw up things that work.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think I saw an new 'Vette on a transport the other day....I only saw the back of the car, but I "sorta" like what GM did with that...with the possible exception of the stop/tail lights.

I agree, Ron...by all accounts I've read and heard, the new 'Vette is a world-class performer right out of the box.

I've always wondered about the transaxle issue though...remembering that the Pontiac LeMans (which became the GTO) had a rear transaxle up until 1964. Given the performance potential of the current 'Vette, theirs MUST be quite strong...could it be adapted for use in a '40????

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It was my impression that GM had repaid the funds owed to the government and therefore was no longer controlled by the government.

I believe the Treas. Dept. sold the last of its G.M. stock sometime around December of '13.

(My original comment was sarcasm, Doug.)

I've always wondered about the transaxle issue though...remembering that the Pontiac LeMans (which became the GTO) had a rear transaxle up until 1964. Given the performance potential of the current 'Vette, theirs MUST be quite strong...could it be adapted for use in a '40????
If I'm understanding you, no, as the differential is at the back - too far back for a '40. If they did do a mid-engined 'vette, then they might create another transaxle option.

Just to add some fuel to the fire....

There is some scuttle butt around Detroit about a new transaxle that's been developed ...Info is tight lipped but I have heard it for a GM project...and its a proper transaxle not a Corvette type trans/diff unit.

I recently read an article that stated Cadillac had lured a long time decision maker at Porsche over to their camp. The implication being that GM was positioning itself to seriously compete with the Germans for a larger share of the Luxury auto market.

If in fact it is the General's desire to be competitive with the German's, I can in-vision Corvette producing a limited production mid-engine (C8?) as a toe hold into a larger share of the European sports car market. The C7 finally addressed long time critics complaints of the interior, instrumentation and creature comfort short falls of previous generations! Maybe still not quite up to the European quality yet, but certainly light years of improvement over the past and more importantly; possibly an indicator of the direction they intend to take the Vette?

Even Corvette's strongest critics reluctantly admit that the Vette has always managed to provided a big “Bang for the Buck” in the sports car market! I suspect that if Bowling Green continues that tradition and delivers a mid-engine version at or below $150k, they will be well on their way to capturing a much broader market appeal!

Jim

More talk....
"Ferrari, you’re on notice. The 2017 Corvette ZR1 to go mid-engined"

2017 Corvette ZR1 to go mid-engined | Digital Trends

... Car & Driver speculates the upcoming Corvette ZR1 will cost over $100,000 when it lands in showrooms in 2017. Historically a low-volume model, the range-topping ZR1 will allow Chevrolet to test the public’s reaction to a mid-engined ‘Vette, an idea that is still controversial in the minds of many enthusiasts. However, if everything goes according to plan, all versions of the eighth-gen Corvette will ride on an evolution of the ZR1′s mid-engined chassis.
Shifting the Corvette to a mid-engined layout will allow Chevrolet to move it up a notch on the market. The Camaro will also shift up, leaving room for a long-rumored rear-wheel drive model to slot in at the bottom of the Bowtie’s sports car lineup.

Their image looks like front engine.
chevrolet-corvette-z06-2-970x548-c.jpg

The bad side to this would be, it would make every mid-engined supercar (hint hint) seem just that much less special.

Back