engine block wanted

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Does anyone have, or know of, a 302 "Mexican" engine block that they want to sell? This would be a good starting point for the engine for my GT40. I have not been able to find one in my area.
I realize I can build the engine from a standard 2 bolt 302 block and I will do so if I can't find a Mexican block, but I thought I would at least give it a try...of course if you have a Boss 302 block sitting under the workbench that you want to part with, I'm open to that as well...
Thanks, all. Happy New Year as well...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The Ford Racing A4 replacement block, M-6010-R302, would be a good starting point. It runs about $1600.

You know a 289 block is not all that weaker than a Mex 302, and alot easier to get a hold of. I can probably get you a Boss if you want, probably $700-$1000. The new sportsman 302 is also a good comprimise. They are probably as strong as a Boss. I think they go for around $800.

Also, the Ford swap is here in columbus in March. It's said to be the largest swap in the country. There are always Mexicans, Boss, A4, and R302's there, plus many aluminum 351's for good prices. Fran Kress was there in November (it's held twice a year) with his yellow MKIIB. What a crowd that thing drew.

Adam

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Frankenstang ]

Mexican main caps are about the same as 289HP caps, and that´s basically what differs to the standard 289, 302 etc...
Don´t know about the very latest 302 blocks thou...
But i imagine they are same as the older ones ?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
According to the book I have (Ford Windsor Small Block Performance, HP Books) the hipo 289 and Mexican 302 blocks have thicker main bearing caps. Also, evidently the Mexican blocks were made of a better grade of metal and have been more durable over the years in hi-perf applications. The standard 302 block has been built up into engines in the 400-500 hp range without problems; if I can't find an interesting older seasoned block I'll get a new 302 block. For 375-400 hp, a two-bolt block is adequate and will do the job. An A4 or Motorsports block would be more than adequate. My idea is to make the bottom end of the motor strong enough to take anything the top end will ask it to do.
Thanks to all...

The late model 5.0L is the lightest (I think around 20-30lbs less than early 302-289) and weakest of all windsor blocks. the main webbings and caps are substatially weaker. That said. I've seen 500HP stock shortblocks last forever. They say that adding a main girdle to one of these blocks makes them stronger than a BOSS. I'd be inclined to belive it since main cap walk and crank flexing is one of the big problems. The big advantage of these blocks is the one piece rear seal, roller cam, and price. you can buy one of these things with finished bores and cam bearings from summit for less than you could get a seasoned block machined for.

I recently built a 320 RWHP (~370 flywheel) longrod 5.0L with one of these blocks. We beat the crap out of it regularly with no problems.

Adam

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Frankenstang ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Think I found the block I am looking for, by working the phone in my area...a '68 hi perf 302 with the Mexico main caps. Picking it up Tuesday in Virginia...
Now then, having said that...I put up posts on several forums (fora?) looking for this part. Over time, I may find others, who knows...if anyone would like to know about them, please email me, I will save the emails and let you know when something pops up. These are supposed to be very good blocks from which to begin a performance engine like the ones we know and love, so if they turn up I would like others to have a little fun too. I have no idea when, and if, this will happen but sooner or later another one or two will surface.
grin.gif

I have a 302 mexican block if anyone's interrested, when i bought it it i had it hottanked & magnafluxed (everything AOK) i no longer have a project for it, if your interrested send me a note.

Jim, I have been trying to e-mail you for 2-3 months and it keeps coming back as "Undeliverable". I am posting this here so hopefully you see this!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Jim D:
I tried again with a PM; if you don't get that one, call me at 410 349 1234 and maybe we can figure out what's wrong with my email system. It seems to have, shall we say, hiccups from time to time.
Jim R
confused.gif

Back