some dumb questions

I've been lurking in the shadows watching this forum for months and figure it's time I contribute. That is assuming there is actually something here somebody doesn't know, which leads me to my questions.
I am just in the stages of gathering parts and am curious about a couple things.
1. Why do you have to change the position of the shifter on the audi tranny? I assume it is a right-hand drive car thing but am curious.
2. Has anyone used or heard of an fi system by Simple Digital Systems? I've never tried it but compared to some I've seen it seems to be very easy and replacement parts are off of everyday cars. www.sdsefi.com
3. Has anyone actually had problems with the audi 016? I read that it is ok, some may say it is questionable but i don't plan on going over 350 hp, has anyone actually destroyed one personnaly?
4. Ron it is nice to see something on the internet that has usefull info. and isn't just advertising, pat yourself on the back.

hope this works

G

Yes, some have had problems. I know of three guys that have broken their transaxles usually using a 351 motor (high torque I suppose) and with drag racing/show off situations. There is an engineering firm in Pietermaritzburg South Africa that modifies the box by inserting a bell shaped bearing holder after machining the cast iron center section of the casing. I'm sure this could be done in any compitent engineering shop.
If anyone needs more info, I will try to get more from our source.
Vic

If its not too much trouble i would greatly appreciate it. I assume they all break in the same place? as much as i would rather go with the g50 they are really hard to come by here and the one i did find was $6000 cdn.
I have two 016 coming for $250, can blow alot up before paying off the g50.

Eric

You are correct. You only need to modify the Audi shift lever to right side if you have
an RHD car with the shifter on the right.

Lots of folks seem to have no problem with the Audi as is, so long as they treat it with care. So if you're not going heavy racing, or making a lot of power, you should
be OK. And if you do break it, you can upgrade the second one you have.

MikeDD

Back