Pantera with huddart twin supercharger engine

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Chris
All Panteras use the ZF5DS/25-1 or -2 gearbox but the opposite way up to the '40.
Huddart is an English engine tuner. Speak to Kevin Farrington, he has had some dealings with them.
Is this another of your 'too good to miss' deals?

Watch for rust and cooling problems to start. These cars had real problems fm the start. Dealers were making repairs in the driveways of new car owners.

Discuus with "Mike" at the Pantera Place site. Have breakfast with him every Sat am when in town We get together and bring our cars. He is the founder of Pantera Place and has one of the best examples of this marque. Has done extensive mods on hais car. cb
wink.gif

Hi
I've been offered a 1975 De Tomaso Pantera with huddart twin supercharger engine, lots of history, and right hand drive in part exchange for a car I have so I'm looking ofr some advice please.

Did all Peanteras have ZF boxes and would this be the same as a 40 box?

The 'huddart twin supercharger' set up sounds wicked but I've never heard of it before, so can anyone advise me whether it is any good?

I have no idea yet what condition the bodywork or mechanics are in but assuming the engine and running gear are good, can anyone advise what it might be worth??

Any comments/advice welcome.
Thanks

Is it the car built by Roger Coates? If so it's very modified! ISTR it had a nice paint job in dk blue & the superchargers were supplied by Steve Wilkinson in the USA.

I would guess it was a very expensive car to build, but I would also guess there is a very limited market for such a car & the price would be affected accordingly...

just my 2c worth!

Dave,
What alterations did you have to make when you flipped the transaxel? Are there any issues with lubrication of the unit? External pump or coolers? I know some of the UK guys have lowered and moved the engine forward a couple of inches. suposedly they get better handling. Do they have to alter the rear cabin body work? Maybe they could address the problems associated with those issues. Did you/they have to go to dry sump?
Thanks
Bill

Bill,
In a nutshell,
1. the differential has to be flipped over so you don't have 5 reverse speeds. The ring gear bolts should be safety wired while everything is apart. You can buy bolts with the holes already in the heads

2. The inside of the case needs to be machined so the ring gear bolts will clear without hitting.

3.The gear cluster assy has to be pulled out so new drain and fill plug holes can be drilled and tapped into the case.

4.Several small holes need to be drilled in the webbing between the transmission and differential cavities so oil can flow between the two.

5. A vent needs to be put in the cover (which was the sump on a Pantera) or you can buy a new cover from Lloyd with the breather already installed.

6. I also put new oil holes in the differential side plates so the carrier bearings can get plenty of oil. (The existing holes are on the bottom once the box is flipped)

7. You need a ZF maintenance book and some specialized tools to work on these boxes. The differential can't be removed from the housing without pulling the inner races first. Special puller needed. I spent 2 weeks just making pullers, mandrels, etc.

I have some pictures I can post if you're interested.

No dry sump. I modified the stock pan...cut out the bottom and put on a modified sump, windage tray, pump pickup, etc. Pics of it also if interested. Off the top of my head, ERA's spec is 7.25" or 7.5" max below the block pan rails. The chassis has some of the same cutouts that they use when putting a big block in. ERA has my engine/transaxle so they can trial fit it to make sure everything clears.

Dave

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: DaveWharran ]

Dave
Would be interested in any pics and info that you can give. My 40 will hopefully be here in about a month. It currently has a G50 in it. Not sure of year or shape. So I'm looking around. I'm talking with the guys at Renegade Hybrids about parts it might need and their services. Thanks for any info you can furnish.
Bill

Back