GT Supercars - more on monocoque

G

The GTSC monocoque is rapidly approaching completion as can be seen in the photos I am including here.
There are four new chassis underway. The roof has an integrated steel cage/roll bar.
As I understand it the purchaser will have the option of a fiberglass or steel outer
skin on the roof of the chassis under construction.

GTSC160.jpg

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

G

One more thing for those of you concerned with corrosion, the panels have been powder coated inside and out.
This should be very helpful. I am going to post one more photo here, but if anyone would like to see the rest,
please point your browser to:
GTSC162.jpg
GTSC163.jpg
GTSC174.jpg

GTSC166.jpg

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Nice! Love to see those Ohio boys do good! (left 30 years ago but rest of the famiy still up there-too cold for me).

I assume it is a steel powder coated mono? or stainless? cb

G

Chip, the way it was described to me is that it is a corrosion resistant steel. This is a new process mild steel and not galvanized- we all know what welding galvanized can do
frown.gif

The goal is to provide an affordable mono chassis that will also provide resistance to the internal corrosion that the originals suffered from after a time. John is offering both the monocoque and tube frame chassis, but the ultimate goal is to make the mono everybit as stiff and affordable as the tube frame so that there would be no (or few) reason(s) to buy the tube frame. Given human nature, we will only accept this to be true when the mono has been in service for a while and proved itself and John understands that. That is exactly why he is offering the choice.

The Lola tub was a hellish mixture of Alum,Steel bulkheads,Rivets,Glue,and Foam which broke down and trapped water. The girdle that supported the trans was a weak point and made it very difficult to remove the engine. The tub I made addressed these and other problems. This car is now very usable, and lots of fun to drive.
jim_lola.jpg

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Lynn: what body molds are Mr. hester using? Did he buy up the old Sabre molds or did he make his own? cb

G

John bought one of the two sets of MK I molds that Sabre had. He also has a first rate "glass man" as I can testify to based on the set of doors that I bought from him. This guy has put a lot of work into the molds. Based on the testimonial on the forum from the guy who bought the nose clip from John, this work has paid off on more than just the doors.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What a poor picture of that garage.............the P4 is NOT in the shot!

I guess I could be forced to take any one of the cars pictured...

Rick
grin.gif

I understand from the gentleman from ERA (sorry-name slipped my mind-will come to me just as I log off!) that the original monos rusted through within 10 years and had to be replaced. That was befor the coatings we now have available. cb

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Jim, the Ferrari looks great. Who's resto shop is doing the aluminum panels for the P4? Thanks

The Alum body is NOS that was bought by David
Piper from Enzo Ferrari and was made by Alegretti. The doors are original. The number 3 is from the last time John Surtees raced this car. The doors are fiberglass and were on all of the P4's. The engine and suspention are being done by Alberto Pedretti (The original Mechanic Enzo sent with Luguie Chenetti to America) and Bob Wallace (LAMBO test driver and engineer). The Alum body is being fitted by John Hydack Jr. of medalcraft. The final assembly is being done by Sal Barone. Ferrari recast the uprights in alum and Campenallo recast the wheels in Alum as well.
Best

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Back