Auction This Weekend: 1966 FORD GT40 MK I Serial #1065

G

MK -IV J6:

When your P-4 gets finished, it shold be clos to the Testarossa, don't you think?

G

I belive the last time a P-3 was sold it was around that number. Will you ever drive it on the street? Would love to see it when its finished.

JF

There was an Enzo for sale for $1 million in the classified from a dealer/broker in the same issue of Autoweek that featured it on the cover 2 weeks ago.

The 1984 Ferrari GTOs were bid up to $1.2 million, then the bubble buurst and they fell back to the $600,000 range. I quote this often as what spculation can do: Just imagine what the people felt like who bought them to make $$ then found that the price deflated to significantly less than they paid. cb

Hi guys,

Resurrecting an old thread here.

This same GT40 which generated so much discussion in 2002 is once again for sale, this time at the RM auction in Monterey. It's not listed in the catalog so I don't know if it's a late entry into the auction, or if they are just trying to sell it outright.

I got a good look at it tonight, as it's on display in the hotel; it's a bit scruffy, but definitely the real deal, and would be an excellent addition to any fine collection. :D

Mike Pass

Supporter
This might sicken you but Nick Shrigley-Fiegel told me that he sold the car for £5,000! If only.....
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike's,
1065 was in RM auction in oct 2007 and now again RM at Monterey; is this not just a speculation "investment" going wrong?
Roel

Interesting that the CAV made more money than the SPF.

What stuns me is the price of some of the other cars.
356 Roadster $170k
Shelby GT350 $247k5
Shelby 289 Cobra $605k
Shelby 427 Cobra $775k
Ferrari F40 $753k5

even with the GBP to USD rate the way it is at present, I see these as being twice what they ought to be, or at least were a year or so back. I guess collectable car prices are on the way up again... (except the SPF ?)

Yeah, somebody stole the SPF, I wonder why?

Being LHD helps its appeal to the non-enthusiasts who just want a fast car, but hurts it for those interested in purity/originality. Did the CAV have RHD? Probably not--few do. So, what's up then?

I saw the Pantera sell; the hammer price was $80K (for a car with only 100 genuine miles from new, which is a waste of a good car IMHO), so the stated $88K price must include the various fees added afterwards.

Ron Earp

Admin
The SPF was a MKII, the CAV a MKI. I feel fairly confident in saying the MKI is more desirable to the general public and GT40 buyers.

I think there are a lot of SPF MKIIs out there, maybe too many floating around. I received an unsolicited offer a month or so ago for a MKII roller at an extremely low price. However, while I appreciated the offer I don't have the cash to get into a GT40 right now and if I did the MKII wouldn't be my choice.

I remember the announcement about Shelby doing the serial numbered MKIIs from SPF and thought to myself "why?"? I seriously doubt they'll ever get through their intended production numbers due to lack of demand.

Still, however it shook out whoever acquired that car got a good deal. I personally don't think any of the replicas are worth more than the sum price of their parts, but that price wasn't anywhere near the sum of the parts, even at dealer costs!

R

the mileage produced by the car and the other aspects shows that the car is fairly in good condition.i am expecting its rate to be between $300 to 350k
-----------
peer

Car Auctions

The 1966 Ford GT40 Mk 1 coupe ser# 1065, Engine # SGT27 sold at RM Auctions (lot#443) at Monterey (8/08) for $1,465,000. It previously sold for $2.04M in London last Oct. 2007.

Back