Secret Audio

G

If any of you caught the latest Two Guys Garage on the Speed Channel you may have seen the Secret Audio from Custom Autosound. This has a remotely mounted stereo with a small display on or under the dash and a full function remote. This may be the answer for those of you who want sound in their GT40! Here is the web page if you want further info:

Custom Autosound's Secret Audio Website

Ron Earp

Admin
Good one Lynn!

I've also struggled with this radio thing. See, thing is I want something small but no electronic displays but that has good sound. Found one.

I found this from Tivoil and bought it:

Radio

I plan to take it apart and mount it into a center console. The knobs are cool retro and the sound quality is awesome from a single driver, best little radio I've heard with a single driver and that includes the one form Bose. Probably will mount into a center console I'll fabricate.

Ron

Have you guys considered talking with Pro installers? I ask a a good installer can make a system dissapear inside a car.
Several materials are acoustically invisable, others trap the highest frequencys and for this application work perfectly. I don't believe the loss of the triangles resonance will matter much with the engine so close to your ears.
A remotely controlable head unit eliminates the need to see the headunit, so it can be stashed behind the dash, or in a kick panel. A small CD changer can make life simple, as they can be easily hidden in the Console.
Speakers, you have several options, hidden in the dash under the acousically invisible fabric firing at the windshild and reflected to you will provide the sound staging most of us are accostomed to. If you don't care where the music is coming from 2 small 3.5" or 4" full range speakers mounted in the head rest. With some from of bass over-ride to prevent major distortion they sound moderatly good.
Bass Blockers are a passive form. They strip the low frequencys and simply plug inline at the speakers connection.
If you must have the low frequency sound a small 6" driver could Possibly be fitted in to the back of a seat. I say possibly as I'm unsure how much room there is behind a seat in a 40, if any. another possible option is stashed under the dash or even in the pass foot well.

Jim

My 2c worth on this problem...

For a totally different reason, motorcyclists battle with exactly the same problem of how to listen to their favorite music while touring. The solution there is simple. Just carry a Walkman and earpieces.

It would be such a simple and inexpensive solution for the GT40 too. You could even make a cradle for it, and with good earpieces, you would get a great sound.

Unconventional situations require unconventional solutions.

Just a lateral thought...

G

Ron, the display on the SecretAudio will tell you station, mode, etc and let you contol the unit. With the RF remote you wouldn't have to have the display visible at all I suppose. The remote does do total control. They do have in IR remote which would require the display to receive the infrared signals just like a TV remote. It does come with a CD changer -although, I assume it only holds 1 CD and with the unit hidden wouldn't be too useable- or there is an optional 6 CD changer. You can also get standard dash mount radios in a period look for those that want a '60s Ford radio look.

SA-SS.gif

Here are some specs:
With RF Remote Control - SS only $239.95 SS-PKG - SS with 6 disc CD changer $489.00
With IR Remote Control - S-1 only $199.95 S1-PKG - S1 with 6 disc CD changer $449.00

Unit dimensions
LCD display 1.5"(h) x 4.125"(w) x .75"(d)
Tuner/Amp 1.375" (h) x 6.5"(w) x 5.75" (d)

Display also comes with a bezel and bracket:
SSlcd.gif
SecretS1LCDJPG.gif

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing these systems in anyway. My only desire is to present an option that I came across in hopes that its features might be useful to someone.

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Lynn,
The unit you are refering to I believe, was refered to in an article in either Hot Rod mag. or one of the other mags of its calibur, probably 6mo. ago or so. It was a very clean instal as I remember. Circuit City (and I'm sure others) has a unit for a 10 CD changer (I believe thats the #) that is remote location with a wireless remote that is very nice. I had one installed in my wife's BMW 5 Series. She didn't want anything protuding or showing. Great for traveling.
Bill

Back