Polished alloy protection

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone know of a clear spray on protection for
polished alloy, that protects from brake dust?
Did a search Ron, couldn't find anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete, it might be worth a look at "Glisten" from POR - it is a 2-pack clear coat for polished alloy or aluminium & is super-tough. I have used it on a lot of aly brackets, fuel pumps, swirl pot, & the whole of the 'Vette front suspension - it has such a good "self-levelling" capability that it allowed me to just brush it on - absolutely no visible brush strokes.

My local distributor is :

Permanent Painted Coatings
Unit 8 / 4 Prosperity Pde
Warriewood. NSW. 2102.
Tel : 02 9999-0122
Web : www.ppc.au.com

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

HILLY

Supporter
Peter D.

How does the Glisten product stand up to heat. Ie. if it was used on a brake caliper?. And is it repairable if damaged.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I first got onto it when I saw an article about an expert metal polisher who has used it for years to finish off alloy cam covers, carbs, etc. So I guess that it stands up to engine temps ok - but, I doubt it would cope with the heat of calipers or exhausts.

I did a lot of asking around & research, & concluded that VHT Caliper Paint was the go for the brakes. I checked out HPC & Jet-Hot to see if they could do my alloy calipers in a ceramic finish, but both declined - apparently, there is some sort of concern about the effects of the heating part of the ceramic coating process.

As far as repairs go, I have managed to damage a couple of items coated with Glisten - I just linished & buffed back the area, feathered the edges of the remaining Glisten, washed it all off with the special POR thinners & ran a flow coat of Glisten over whole part again. You are very hard-pressed to see where the repairs were - the self-levelling characteristics are outstanding & help to blend across the edges of the remaining Glisten.

The guys at PPC will give you honest & accurate advice on applicability & repairs.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

HILLY

Supporter
Thanks for the question Pete.
Thanks for the info Peter. I will follow this up.
Love what you have done with your ‘40’. Have you fired her up yet.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Hilly, but no engine start-up as yet - only just got the ECU today, so am looking to fire up in the next day or two (says he with all fingers & toes crossed) !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back