Gurney Westlake on Ebay...

HILLY

Supporter
Unless I am mistaken the owner of this beast is GT (initials – how fitting - I won’t give his name at the moment). His ‘40’ build was originally started here in Townsville about six or seven years ago and I had the opportunity to do some machining on various components for this car. He has since move to Melbourne and I have only seen him on one occasion since then. ‘Enthusiast’ does not quite describe GT. I would shudder to think of the time and money that he has spent on this car. Every part of his project would have a story to tell and that would probably include the rocker covers. There were three sets of G/W heads alone. A bare set (un-machined) which I actually saw but with limited knowledge could not rarify their originality. I would guess that the ‘actual’ cost to get this motor together would be substantially more than the $50K but this is way out of my range. The price to replicate a 30+ year old motor seems to be very expensive.
What do you replace a motor like this with I hear you ask. Well good information has it that GT has bought an ex FPR Supercar (Aussie V8 Touring Car) 5L. 650+ HP limited at 6500 RPM. I just wonder what he will get it to when he takes the rev limiter off it. Red line on these I am lead to believe is 10K ??.
As I wipe the dribble from the side of my mouth I wait in anticipation for the first bid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I too agree, that this is a very nice engine. There is only one thing that bothers me. Here we have a $50,000.00 plus engine on a $39.95 style engine stand, and not even a bolt in the head part to keep the engine from rolling. I have only been building engines for 35 years, but I figured that bolt dilema out years ago. I seen a friend tip his stand over, while working on his Boss 429 Ford engine. He too had no bolt in there, and while trying a partial rotation the engine spun all the way around, and tipped over the stand and all. I know that it scared the $$$$$ out of him. Who is going to end up with this in THEIR GT40?? I know I'll be watching with interest.
Regards Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think that if this motor is a "real" Gurney motor built by his shop back in the day AND has a race history in a "real" GT40.... Hell it's still to much money! With that kind of bucks you are talking current NASCAR roadrace spec motor, rip off the $1200 magic Holley and slap on that Weber setup. Cool valve covers by the way.

Hilly,
The V-8 supercar engines are rev limited to 7500 rpm not 6500 rpm. I confirmed this by going into the ford and holden websites.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes the owner of this motor is Geoff T you are right Hilly.It is definately the real thing and as you say Geoff has been infatuated with all things GT40 for quite a few years now.He helped me with my car and also found the ZF for me. He is asking a lot of money for the GW motor but if your seriouslylooking for originality it's only money.
Regards Ross

HILLY

Supporter
Sorry Scott, you are correct.
I was watching a bit of the final round at Eastern Creek yesterday and realized my mistake when the in-car telemetry came up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
G'day Ross. I certainly have not personally meet anyone as passionate as Geoff (Except for maybe Robert Logan)and as you have obviously found out, he will go out of his way to help others. I will be in Melbourne in March and I will endeavor to catch up with him then.

Back