Track Times - A Thought

Ron Earp

Admin
I just remembered something. You fellows in the UK have right hand drive cars but right hand shift, per originals. However, your daily drivers are right hand drive center shift. So, the question is how much does that hamper your driving in quarter mile and track events? I know that the times I've rented cars in the UK I've had a hell of a time adapting to shifting with "the wrong" hand. Seems it would make a difference, especially in a sprint or quarter mile event where there isn't a lot of time and gearchanges mean a lot.

My car is right hand drive but right hand shift so it is perfectly normal to me, I'm just displaced 2 feet to the right of my normal position. Any of you have right hand drive but center shift that might lend some info?

I got an idea! Paul and Roy, you need to mount some slicks, deflate those tires, soften that spring preload and let me drop the hammer on that thing at Brighton - if I don't get it in the 11s I promise I'll break something to make it worthwhile!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron, I drive a lot of these cars, including the CAVs which are right hand drive / centre shift, and I find without doubt that the CAV configuration is a lot more "un natural" and much more time consuming to use than the right hand " proper" location. Part of this is because the gear shift lever is much more correctly located adjacent to the steering wheel than a centre shift. Frank

Although I'm from the UK, my two 'weekend/track cars' are left hand drive with right hand shift (centre shift). My GT40, like my daily driver, will be right hand drive, but left hand shift (centre shift again). You get used to it, though I guess I must be living in the wrong country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Rob

Hi Ron -
Right hand shifts come fairly naturally once in the 40 as you get used to it very quickly. Our fastest shifts to date have your foot off the gas for 0.3seconds for straight shifts (1-2/3-4) whilst fastest cross gate shifts were 0.4seconds.

Normally - on average, they are 0.4 to 0.5s

We're all off to Santa Pod dragway in April for some offical timed practice - should be fun.

Was over Roy's today testing Dry-Sump system plumbing + new lower engine position. I'm stunned at how much air is pulled from the sump by the 4-stage Aviad pump - so much so that I might monitor/log the crankcase pressure with a spare map sensor I have knocking about.(lowest part of engine is now the adapter plate)

Now if only I can finish the Air-Shift paddle system - that might be worth a couple of 10ths or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Paul,

I haven't ever had the benefit of data logging in any cars I've driven but those shift times don't sound all that bad. I think with a T56 and the T5 trannies I might be slightly faster than that, but not my much if at all. Keep in mind no data logging so I'm just estimating and that is speed shifting, something you won't do with a transaxle (or T5s for that matter) if you want it to have a half-life more than 1 week.

I imagine that dry sump setup is sweet!!! I thought you fellows had tried air shifting before but didn't get on well with it? Please pass my regards to Roy since he doesn't get on much. And remember, if you need something broken just let me know, I can always make a business excuse to stop over in the UK for a spell!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron, it would be great if you were able to get over in April for Santa Pod... We could use some advise on 1/4's... just remember to leave the corners to us!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHope to see you soon.

Malcolm

Supporter
Ron, go for April at Santa Pod, not the Brighton Speed Trials in September as you will be limited in runs and tyre choice by officialdom. April is a run what ya brung kind of affair. I am sure we could find somehwere for you to stay again! Get in contact once you have wrangled your work schedule to suit. Go on, you know you want to....

Malcolm

Brian Magee

Supporter
Ron

With regards to road use, my car having a ZF box, 1st is left and down, the rest being a standard 'H' pattern. Therefore being on the opposite side reminds me which car I am in and I don't get mixed up with the pattern. Mind you I do ocasionally forget which side the change is on and grab the passengers knee, especially if female! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian.

Malcolm reckons my style of driving "Drive it like you stole it!" - as he puts it gets my good times. Well Malcolm, that day at Brighton, I had a hangover, no preparation, nearly a full tank of petrol, a slipping clutch and I still managed 13.9!!

11's for me in the MDA or I'll just have to eat my words! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the MDA is nearly done!

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
JP, would you mind posting some pictures of your MDA. I have a GTD and I have been wondering how much of the old lady has survied the MDA upgrade/redesign process. Under the skirt shots are the best, whats she look like with her knickers off? There I've given you a real easy shot at a funny responce!

With JP's smooth talking style.... she's probably had them charmed of her by now.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
JP, 11s might be more elusive in the 40 than you think! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Paul and Roy have a well sorted car with an incredible engine spec but are still having trouble. Hopefully they'll get it this april!

Malcolm

Supporter
Question....

Which is more elusive, a 11 second run or an MDA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
At present JP has neither.....

Get a move on JP as the season fast approaches! You can't miss out this year too.

Malcolm

Don't worry the car will be ready. But just in case it won't, I'll don a MDA t-shirt and run the 1/4 instead! I'm sure I'll still crack into the 11's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

or give the wifes S4 a hammering!

Ron Earp

Admin
So, are we goint to set up the betting pool on if his MDA mades 11s or not? Actually, the comparison would only be fair at Brighton, not here. What is the concensus?

Ron,

Santa Pod is actually on a slight incline. Also - One side has camber and the other a dip!

Brighton, has the advantage of a prevailing westerly wind. This September we might be in luck! So Brighton might be quicker! And it's my home town. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've got another set of Jongbloeds on the way with some sticky rubber, so I mean business!

J.P

Hi James / Ron

Santa Pod has a very slippery startline (or it seemed to be last time I was there) as all 4 wheels spun like hell on my Cosworth from the line.

I seem to remember Malc getting well and truly blitzed by a Fiat 127 last time we were there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif although to be fair it did have a 350 Chevy in the front and was rear wheel drive via two very very big and wide slicks!!

Oh and by the way James, there was an 8 to 15 mph headwind at Brighton in 2003 - roll on the pod!

ps - care to put a time on your MDA at both Pod and Brighton? Look forward to seing it soon.

Consensous !Will the MDA make it to - Santa Pod ? , Brighton Yes, we are all looking forward to your quarter mile dash James, but will it be on foot or on Jongbloods ?

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn, if he has to run the quarter wearing Jongbloods then they'll have to break for beers to wait for him to finish!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back