Another use for Lab Metal

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
As soon as my car gets out of the paintshop, gets registered and I get the chassis debuged, I have a set of AFR 165s, a GT40 intake that I have ported and a FRPP X303 cam to go on the stock block that is in it now. I have powder coated the GT40 intake and I think it looks killer. The other day I bought one of the covers that go on the intake. It has "5.0 liter HO" in cast raised letters, beside this is a cast Mustang Pony. I have avoided anything with Cobra or Mustang on it in my car, so I was not thrilled with the Pony. I ground it off and sanded the area smooth. Some of you may have seen a post I put up asking what font Ford had used on the GT40; well I found it. I printed out FORD and GT40 in large letters and with a bit more spacing between the letters. It turned out that putting both FORD and GT40 was just to much for the cover. So I went with just GT40. I took the print out and taped it to some 1/16 balsa wood and cut a stencil out of the thin balsa. I then positioned it on the intake cover where I wanted it and filled the stencil with Lab Metal. Once the Lab Metal had dried I used a tiny carbide cutter and a chain saw sharpening stone to clean up the letters. I then took it to my belt sander and took the letters down to the same height as the 5.0 and HO that was already there. Next I will powder coat the whole cover with Eastwoods reflective chrome. Then I will mask the top off and powder coat the faces of the raised letters with the translucent/annodized blue that the rest of the intake has been done in. When I get it done, I'll post pictures. The Lab Metal come in two types: the regular will handle temps up to 350F and is a little cheaper, there is also a high heat version that, when cured properly, will take up to a 1000F. This is real versitle stuff and when it hardens it is very hard. They say you can machine, drill and tap it and I don't doubt that at all. The hint here is don't build the stuff up too high or you will have some work ahead of you, especially, if it is going to require hand sanding. It cure by interacting with oxygen, so you don't want to make it too think either. The can says less than 3/8", but if you make it this thick, it will take at least a full day to cure or longer depending on temp and weather.

Ron Earp

Admin
Most excellent!

Lynn, wish you lived across the street to help with my build as it'd go a lot faster. I think one of the things you and I have discussed, as I've done with others, is how we always think of having folks over and helping out with stuff while building cars. In reality, with day to day living, it is usually just a man, his stuff, his dog (or cat in my case), and his garage.

I want to come up your way and check that intake along with these new bits you've made. Lab Metal sounds cool and I know if it works as advertised I've got a use for it right now.

Ron

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Vic,

Most of the parts stores around here have it. I also get it at the fastener store. I think you can order it from Eastwoods as well. The high temp stuff makes an excellent filler for powder coating. I asked Jet-Hot about using it on headers and they said that they thought the media blasting step would abrade it to much.

Ron - You are correct; that is the way it is, unfortunately.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am sorry it took so long to get the pic of the intake cover. It took some practice to get close to what I wanted. Thank goodness this digital camera my youngest son got me for Christmas doesn't have that good of resolution. But here it is with the Pony gone and GT40 in its place:
gt40intake.JPG

Regards,
Lynn

But Lynn. The wheelbase is way too short, The wooden floor board will never do, and that roll bar is kinda undersized don't you think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice work!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Good one Gary! I never saw that one coming. LOL.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I put a lot of time into this and the powder coating. I still have a lot to learn about two tone powder coating, especially where trying to do touch up is concerned. I think the lesson is, forget trying to do touch up: it has to be right the first time. Also in masking, I have learned that there is a limit as to how intricate you can get before you end up with imbeded masking :). However, the new reflective chrome powder from Eastwoods is muuuch better than the old stuff.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn,

That is super neat. Maybe you should mass-produce??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Have fun!

John

Lynn.
What I do on the masking is to put your item in the oven until the powder just starts to melt pull the tape then finish curing it.
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back