Fortyfication articles available

When I bought my car, it came with a huge bag of back issues of fortyfication mag stretching back to the eighties. If anyone wants a scan of any articles, please let me know and I'll do my best to email them back.
Simon

Simon,
Conld you email me the titles of the articles from 1999 through 2002. I am sure there are others, especially in the U. S. that would love to know the articles you have. Is there anyway that they could be scaned, catalogued and displayed here on the forum, maybe in the Articles and FAQ Section at the top of this page?
Thanks
Bill

Brian Magee

Supporter
FORTYFICATION IS THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF THE GT40 ENTHUSIASTS CLUB AND IS THEREFORE COPYRIGHTED.
THE CLUB WILL TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST ANY PERSON PUBLISHING ANY ARTICLE FROM THE MAGAZINE WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Brian.

Hi Guys
(just a suggestion)
I think Chris Edward's the Enthusiast Club Secretary has or had lots of back copies of the club mag, so why not sell them at a nominal fee to boost club funds?
We could publish the stock on the forum and give a brief out line of what is in each copy.
Hopefully this would benefit everyone without infringement of the clubs copyright
Regards
Chris.

excuse me, I thought I would be doing some fellow enthusiasts a favour, I wish I hadn't bothered now.
Obviously a VERY different attitude to the Cobra club site that I'm used to.
I'm quite pleased I havn't sent off my £30 joining fee, I think I'll seriously have to reconsider joining if such petty attitudes are expressed. I thought we were all bound together by our love of the GT40, it seems, sadly, I was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm also sure most of us would buy a reasonably priced CD that contains scanned issues of past magazines. This could be a nice way for your club to raise some money from a source that has already generated revenue once.

(c) 2004, Mark Worthington

I think Brians point is that over the years, members of the club have paid their membership fees and the money raised has been used to publish the club magazine. Therefore it is the members of the club that deserve to benefit from this. Isn't that what membership clubs are all about?

If everyone else were to be free to benefit, by someone copying the magazine and distributing it to non members for free, then what would be the point of paying to be a member?
After all, it costs a lot of money to produce the mag (about £4 per member per issue to do it in colour )

The argument that all of us with an interest in GT40s are a community and should be helping each other out cuts both ways. We need enough members to make the club viable financially to fund the continuation of the mag and without that the club would fail, and then who would benefit?
Club members, and the committee, regularly give free advise to members and non members alike, but at some stage we hope people will, join, and support the club.

On the subject of back issues raised by Chris Melia - I have one reference copy of each of the previous issues, but I do NOT have a stock ready and waiting to be sold. So if anyone wants a copy of a particular issue I can photocopy it for them and procedes would go into club funds, but I do not have an index of articles I'm afraid, an have no plans to compile one in the forseable future.

I think the idea of scanning previous mags onto a CD and selling it for club funds is a great idea, and if any member would like to do this then I'm sure they would be welcomed with open arms!

Ron Earp

Admin
GTD Simon,

Yes, you will definitely find a different attitude here with respect to copyrighted materials than you'll find on Cobra boards. I don't want copyrighted material posted on the GT40s.com because it will land us in some legal trouble. Now, this situation is between you and the club but I support their stance - selling or sharing of copyrighted material is illegal and they can prosecute.

Good points Chris. Even if Ron was not strict about posting of copyrighted material here, I woul object. I think Brian, Malcolm and many other club members are very open and helpful to builders at large. However I have supported the GT40 building community with many years of membership fees to this and the GTD club. As I live in the states, I don't receive any benefits from the track days, social gatherings or organized road trips - I just receive some great news letters. If you want that kind of info pay your dues and support the cause. If you want to share use the phone, email,local pub or a friendly visit. If you want the printed copies and nice pictures pay your dues so the nice news letters keep coming. Don't be so hard on Brian - he is just trying to protect the club and continue its existance.

Sorry, guys, as I said, I was only trying to be of some help to fellow enthusiasts, but don't worry, I won't make that mistake again.
Do any of you REALLY think that emailing a scanned copy of an article relevant to a particular members problem/query to them, constitutes a problem that will affect club membership?
Lighten up guys.
I was deeply upset by the attitude about "THE CLUB TAKING LEGAL PROCEEDINGS" etc. I was just trying to be helpful, and a pm to me (my email address is available to all) explaining the situation, asking me not to make the offer or even removing the post entirely would surely have been more sensitive. The attitude expressed, has soured the whole excitement of getting my GTD now.

I'm with Simon on this.

Guys, this is a car club for a hobby shared by us all - lighten up.

I had put my name in the ring to become editor of Fortyfication, but a promotion at work last week has meant I just cannot afford the time involved. If I had been given the job, I would not have had a problem with Simon's initial post.

In my day job, I'm the Editor and Advertising Manager of a finance magazine. A few years ago, we charged for everything, including photocopied articles - now, we send out free magazines and photocopied articles every day. OK, it costs money in print and postage, but it has attracted new subscribers and gets the name of the magazine out to a new audience.

We also allow reprinting of our articles free of charge in other publications, subject to the inclusion of a byline and contact details, and have sold subscriptions on the back of it.

Our circulation's gone up and our advertising's increased. This has resulted in more investment in the mag itself, more pages, better paper, more colour, etc, etc.

Plagiarising or publishing copyrighted material in volume is one thing - photocopying one article, which may result in selling a new subscribtion/club membership is something else.

Brian obviously puts a lot of effort into producing Fortyfication, and it shows. However, I say speculate to accumulate, especially if it helps someone with the same interests, and don't be too quick to jump down the throat of someone who was looking to do the GT40 community a service and might just be help to attract new members.

My two cents.

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea of scanning previous mags onto a CD and selling it for club funds is a great idea, and if any member would like to do this then I'm sure they would be welcomed with open arms!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be happy to provide this service. However, I don't have many back copies, and so would need to borrow someone's (Chris') for scanning purposes.
I also don't know how much to charge; the CD media and postage costs would have to come out, plus we would have to decide how much the Club would want in the way of a contribution.
Any suggestions - Brian, Chris, anyone?

Ron Earp

Admin
I really don't know about the situation with the club mag. However, if it is copyrighted and they want to enforce then that is their business. I'm more concerned with taking care of the forum and making sure that copyrighted material, mainly pictures, don't get posted.

I'm all for people helping each other, that is what the forum is for so don't get the wrong idea about that. I just have to protect the forum because, as you people know, this isn't a business and if someone screws up and gets us sued it isn't the forum that gets sued, it is me.

Ron, completly understand. It was NEVER my intention to create any problems for anyone on this forum, I and many more truly appreciate everything that people like you do for us all in keeping this thing going (a largely thankless task I know) and it was cerainly never my intention to upset Brian (who does an equally excellent job on Fortyfication) now I just wish I'd never made the bl**dy posting in the first place!
Simon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think it's time to pour oil on these troubled waters.
Simon, I can understand that your offer was made in good faith and not wishing to tread on anybodys toe's
Brian's reply was a bit in your face.
I have known Brian for a number of years and can assure you that he is one nicest people you could wish to meet, he is always ready to offer advice on anything GT40 related.
Pehaps his reply should have been in lower casing and not upper, or in a P M as you suggested. As being editor to the mag maybe the gun was loaded by someone else, he just pulled the trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Simon if you take time to read some of the mags I am sure that you will appreciate and agree how good they are.
I hope you reconsider about joining the club because we are a friendly bunch of petrol heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Just my observations
Regards
Ian

Brian Magee

Supporter
Simon
I apologise if I offended you with my posting. Maybe I shouldn't have used the capitals but having been editor since March 2002 and seeing Bills posting requesting articles up to 2002, it was like someone offering to give away my baby!
If we weren't joined by the love of the GT40 then we would never have met on this website. I know you had the benefit other GT40 nuts in mind and hope you accept my apology and I would love to see you as a club member.

Maybe something good will come out of this with the suggestion and offers to put some of the back issues on CD.
Thanks to all the others who took the trouble to reply.

By the way, we have already starting putting articles from Fortyfication on our revamped club website www.gt40enthusiastsclub.com

Brian.

Ian, Brian...oil...water...good idea.
Damn fine job as editor as far as I can see! I know how difficult it can be to put together a club mag (says he who's been a cobra club member for three years and never contributed a da*n thing) And when I got my car (and back issues) I eagerly read through them all....very impressed.

Simon

Hi Simon,

My gut reaction to your initial post was close to Brian's - though I might not have expressed so uncompromisingly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Having spent most of my life in the software industry the respect towards intellectual property is seared on my brain, however I appreciate your point that this is a passionate hobby activity for most of us. I am sure you offered your help with the best of the intentions, being on the receiving end of your generosity previously.

I know Brian well and echo Ian's thoughts. Brian has put an enormous amount of unpaid, and often unsung, effort into the magazine and with a few stalwarts (not me!) rescued the club from a near terminal position - and I hardly exaggerate here. So I am not at all surprised or disappointed in his first post. The very heart of the club is the magazine - sine qua non. Brian is ironically on the point of retiring as Editor and I hope someone can fill his shoes adequately.

However perhaps there is a third way (yuk!). When I agreed to rejuvenate the club website I asked for help with content, after all this is really the main attraction as the magazine - it is not dynamic enough to compete with this GT40 Forum for discussion and views. I suggested putting articles from older magazines to help members and as a promotion to non-members. You will find a few on the site now www.gt40enthusiastsclub.com (one from the man himself!). Maybe with the club’s further permission this could be extended to provide an archive of OLDER back issues. I think this would demonstrate the strength of being a paid up member and getting up to date articles winging their way through the door quarterly.

I understand treading on some toes may have temporarily soured your enthusiasm for your new GT40. I had a similar experience when I first started my build, I naively thought those trading in the GT40 car industry were more trustworthy than typical car traders, sadly I learnt you have to be just as careful with your choices! Anyway I hope to see you at the meet on Wednesday in Welwyn where you will be very welcome.

Dave Champ

Simon my ENGLISH brother,

I replied to your PM regarding the part numbers for the brake upgrade that you needed.

Regarding this subject here, I can assure you although there are 3 or 4 ASS HOLES on this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, none of them are the guys on this tread. Everyone, from Brian to Ron are all good guys and very helpful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keep your "Feistiness" though, that is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S
Now send me some of them magazines and I will send you my back issues of Hustler. I bet you mine are better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back