Sidewall Lettering

MWGT40

Supporter
Anyone have any tips for how to paint the sidewall lettering on tyres? The garage told me to use Tipex liquid paper applied using a fine paint brush. However, I thought that would easily scratch off.

Would paint be better or does that attack the tyres?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Martin,
Try Frost's in Lancashire, they sell a product called "Plastidip" which is a liquid rubber solution and can be brush applied.
It comes in various colours including white and claims to be tough and flexible. It is also salt resistant.
Might be useful.
www.frost.co.uk
01706 658619

MWGT40

Supporter
James

Have you tried this on tyres before? Is it able to be applied with the precision you would need for sidewall lettering?

Rgds, Martin

There are paint pens specifically for painting tyre wall lettering, you should be able to get them from motor factors and definitely from bike accessory outlets such as M&P (www.MandP.com) available in various colours

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Martin,
No, not tried it yet. But I will.
I guess we need to check out a tester tin as I suppose like all painting, it depends upon the viscosity and drying time. It would need to be thin but opaque and go down in one smooth coat.
What logo or size of lettering are you trying to highlight ?.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
It probably depends on whether the lettering is just plain black rubber, or is moulded into the tyre in white rubber.

I have a set of BF Goodrich Comp T/A's on my old 'Vette with moulded-in white lettering & I found the best way to bring it out was to scrub the lettering with a pumice stone & an abrasive kitchen cleaning paste - comes up like new.

If your lettering is plain black, you might like to try a "vinyl dye" from VHT - it is normally in a spray-pack, but you could spray a bit in the lid, then brush it on.

I have used the VHT dye on the 40's vinyl-covered dash & f/glass demister panel (black), the 'Vette's door panels (blue) & have found it far superior to any of the "surface paint" options. The dye seems to soak right into the material. It should work ok on rubber (although I haven't tried white as yet). Still, it is fairly cheap & might be worth a try.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Another technique for cleaning white rubber is using a little lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag and carefully wiping the lettering, brings them out very nice...

Rick

MWGT40

Supporter
Thanks guys. At the moment my lettering is indented but not painted so I would be painting these for the first time.

Martin

The paint pens don't work that well...it takes alot of paint to do the letters. The best thing I have found is art paint that is water based...titanium white..it takes 2 coats to look good and they last about 6 months. To take it off just take the tires to the car was and powerwash them clean and apply 2 new coats...I like the plasticoat idea I will try that on some old tires and see.

Matt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Martin, best I've used are " TYREART" markers. Designed for exactly what you want to do!!, and in 10 funky colours!, just make sure you clean off any soap/silicone residue from tyre fitting/dressing. Available from Tyreart products in Kent Tel. 01474 872924 or are also in stock at GPR.

Back