Hand Laid Vinyl Ester Resin Based GT40 Body

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
For the composites gurus out there:

I noticed this LS40 prototype body on eBay. I am not surprised by the fact that the rear clip appears to be joined with the spyder. I am not questioning the lack of rocker panels: no one considers these as even close to true GT40 replicas (at least, I don't.)

What I am curious about is the use of Vinyl Ester resins in the lay up. Wouldn't the use of these resins make this body exceptionally susceptible to creep, especially in the engine area where it would be exposed to heat? I would also think that the body wouldn't be very rigid and would require far more hard attachments to some sort of skeleton under it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Lynn

41_12_s.JPG
Link to the post

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually, laminates that are made with vinylester resin are getting more common in the marine industry. It is much more water resistant than polyester resin, and it is stronger. Strength must be the reason here, since I have yet to hear of a GT40 with laminate blisters below the waterline... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The other possibility I suppose is that the better strength-to-weight of vinylester resin allowed them to make the body a little lighter. When the body for my car was made, I had the option of (for more money) having it built from carbon-fiber and Kevlar fabric; I saw sample sections and the difference in weight is really impressive. So is the difference in cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back