Another Scam.............

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifI'm sure you will all be aware that these stupid emails are going the rounds at the moment. Just another scam to relieve you of your hard earned money. Herewith the text from today:
Subject: BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
Date: 07/07/2004 17:31:20 GMT Standard Time
Reply To:
To:
CC:
BCC:
Sent on:

Sent from the Internet (Details)
Internet Address Card Attached

ATTENTION,

Let it not be surprising that I am contacting you through this medium. Though, I have not gotten any previous correspondence with you. I am personally contacting you for the first time, hoping you will assist me based on the reality of this transaction.

My name is Edward Charles Cecil the former adviser on SPECIAL DUTIES to the ousted Charles Taylor: President of Liberia in West African. The recent development in my country is no more news to the world. President Charles Taylor, after losing his ambition to remain as President of Liberia, left to neighboring African country, for political asylum including his Ministers and his Political Associate, everybody is at large.

During my tenure as the adviser on special duties, I happen to be in charge of finance on his political ambition. It was while on this privilege position that I kept in my custody the sum of Eighteen Million and Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US$18.5m), without the fore knowledge of the President. More so, the fragile political system in Africa does not encourage me on long-term investment project. This is the reason I am asking for your
assistance to deposit this funds offshore for out right investment.

This fund is currently kept with a safe/trust security company in TOGO, in a neighboring West African country in disguise as Family precious materials.
I hereby agree to compensate your sincerely for your candid effort to assist in this regard with 20% of the fund when finally received by you through our pre-arranged strategies to move out the funds from Togo. However, I have sent my son to Europe in regard to this transaction. Every arrangement has been concluded on the safest way to move this fund to Europe.

I want you to understand that this must be kept in utmost confidentiality and secrecy, as my future welfare hugely depends on it.
Be rest assured that this is the beginning of long-term relationship between us. I do not intend to contact anyone else until I am convinced that you are not capable to handle this transaction.

You can call on my son on this security line .[0031645 838 960). for discussion. Note that I am using this email address for security reasons. Reply through this email.{[email protected]}

THANKS WHILE I WAIT FOR YOUR URGENT REPLY.

Best regards.
Edward Charles Cecil

Hi David

I've written and edited news stories on examples of the above scam. However unbelievable these stories are, it's amazing how many have been suckered in (and I've heard of some interesting tales of revenge when the targets/victims have actually tracked down the scammers... ). There are now a stack of websites tackling this type of '419' scam. A couple are listed below:

Crimes of Persuasion website

419/Nigerian scam coalition website

Cheers

Rob

And here's one I got. I'm selling a car, and after the initial enquiry claiming to be from a dealer in Holland, which I replied to, this is the follow up I got. Needless to say, I rejected the terms and heard no more.

"Thanks for your untimely responce to my email and also I will like you to know that i`m okay with your said price which is £2200 I have also agreed to take care of the shipping aspect which will be done by my international shipping agent who will be coming to your location for the pick up of the vehicle upon the reciept of payment.
But Irrespect of payment, there`s a client of mine in uk who`s oweing me some amount of money, I will instruct him to issue out a cheque in your name which will be for the payment of the vehicle so therefore, you`ll be getting a cheque of £4000 which includes the shipping and tax expenses which my client will be liable for and you`ll be expected to refund the balance of £1800 to my shipping agent via western union transfer as i will like him to use it for the shpping of the vehicle after deducting your own money for the vehicle and the western union charges which you`ll be required to pay when transfering the money to him.
But can I trust you for my balance? If this is okay by you, i will require you to provide me with your full contact details to where the cheque will be sent to including your home,work and mobile phone number... you can aswell arrange it in this formatt so i can forward it to my client immediately to issue out your payment .

full name.........
full address.....
city.................
state...............
zip code.........
country...........
home phone...
work phone.....
mobile phone..
your untimely responce will be of high intensity.
Kindest Regards.
Paula"

I've picked up another scammer, this time supposedly from Switzerland. I'm playing along at the moment looking forward to the GBP6000 cheque which is now on its way to me. Can't find anywhere in particular to report this, but I'll take the envelope with cheque to the bank and ask for their advice. Perhaps they may want it for fingerprints?
There are people out there who really enjoy winding up the scammers. This had me in stitches. Today he got the scammer on camera!
http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/mp.htm#mp7

I advertised my mum's MG Midget on several web sites aboout a year ago and got at least six replies from Nigeria and another from the African Republic of Benin, all agreeing to buy the car and asking me to send them my bank details etc.

Naturally I didn't but it did leave me wondering how a Midget would have fared in the jungles of Africa....

These are much more fun if you play with them.

Here's my response to one I got today:

<font color="blue"> Oh I am very sorry to hear of your plight!

Of course I would be happy to help.

Please call me at (310) 477-6565 as soon as possible and we can arrange everything.

Fortunately, I am extremely wealthy and can easily assist with this transaction with my banking connections!

Sincerely
Mick Jaeger </font>

(the phone number is the FBI Los Angeles field office)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
and here's yet another:

Home Address:
No 24A Idrisa Road,
Kabul, Afghanistan.

Dear Sir,

Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, I am former Mrs.Fatima Setia,
now Mrs. Blessing Williams. A widow to Late Sheik Mohammed Williams, I am
72years old; I am now a new Christian convert, suffering from long time
cancer of the breast. From all indications my condition is really deteriorating
and it's quite obvious that I won't live more than four months according
to my doctors. This is because the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad
stage. My late husband was killed during the U.S raid against terrorism
in Afghanistan, and during the period of our marriage we couldn't produce
any child. My late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I inherited
all his business and wealth. The doctor has advised me that I may not live
for more than four months, so I now decided to divide part of this wealth,
to contribute to the development of the church in Africa, America, Asia
and Europe.

I selected you after visiting the website and I prayed over it, I am willing
to donate the sum of US$20,200,000.00 (Twenty Million two hundred thousand
Dollars), to you for the less privileged. Please I want you to note that,
this fund is lying in a security company and upon my instruction, you will
file in an application for the transfer of the money in your name.

Lastly, I honestly pray that this money when transferred will be used for
the said purpose, because I have come to find out that wealth acquisition
without Christ is vanity upon vanity. May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you and your
family.

I Await your Urgent Reply.

Kindly contact my lawyer Barrister. Kevin Godwin, through his Email address:
[email protected]

Yours in Christ.

MRS BLESSING WILLIAMS c/o BARRISTER KEVIN GODWIN.

My kid found it. Amazing what an 8 year old can find on the web. Not much longer and it will be worse...

Back