Lahaina

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I have been to Lahaina at least a fifteen times and am very upset with the events of late. I have all ways thought Front Street was very unique but also with a fantastic history a wonderful place to dine, walk and watch the sunset.
I pay some attention to a You Tuber that lives there. His name is Eric West., he was instrumental in helping fund the food lines and poverty during covid and I think he will carry on and start a campaign again and I will support it.
Have a look at his cause.
As a GT40 owner along with a lot of people on this site, we could probably kick in a little.

Check him out on You Tube

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
We visited Maui in the mid 80’s for a full week. I recall them burning off the cane fields and how little protection there was for people traveling the roads right next to and between the fields at that time.. Death toll just under 100 right now and people are still missing and some in grave condition …
Certainly the islanders can use all the help they can get right now as tourism there has probably ground to a halt..

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have some history to share about Lehaina going back to the late 30s, and I will. But for now, it's too painful to go on about and it makes me cry.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Just bringing this back to the surface. If you feel you can help a family in Lehaina directly, no BS overhead deductions, call Eric West directly @ 808 283 4027 and he will give you a name and number putting you in direct contact with a family in need. An E transfer is quick and easy.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So...........My day joined the Navy in 1939 and ended up washing out of pilot school because he had ear infections when he was a kid. He then got attached to the Battleship Oklahoma when it was still based with the rest of the Pacific fleet in San Diego. The fleet then transferred over to Pearl Harbor in 1940. On December 7th he was forced to jump from a rapidly sinking ship (rolled over upside down) about 15 minutes after the first torpedo hit the Oaklahoma. He got so much fuel oi in his eyes that he was in the hospital for 4 months. He then got sent to Barbers Point Naval Air Station to repair damaged airplanes (remember he had a few weeks of flight training and was technically an aircraft rate because he was assigned to the float planes that were flown off catapults from those battleships. He had also been promoted while on the Oklahoma to seaman first class so now with all the new arrivals in the navy since the was started and he being in the navy for going on 3 years they made him a petty officer the first day. He told me he was the only person in his repair division other than a brand new pilot, who was the commanding officer, who had ever touched an airplane before.

After a few months of trying to fix broken planes (they did get one off the ground once) he got reassigned to an anti-submarine squadron. where he spent the rest of the war. By 1945 he as a Chief and at a point by the time he retired he was the longest-servicing Chief in the Navy, He served 22 years.

So Maui................. The sub patrols they flew started on Oahu flew down to Maui and landed at a dirt airfield called Airport Beach on the west side of Maui where they refueled and sometimes rearmed then flew back to Barbers Point on Oahu. He did this hundreds of times as a radioman rear gunner and assistant navigator in several aircraft types during the war. He took me to Pearl Harbor as well as Maui when I was a teenager and showed me the dirt field where he landed so many times. It was just a flat field overgrown with bushes when I was there the first time.

As the years went by I went back to Maui so many times that I have lost count. My daughter went three times before she was a year old and that is a long story by itself. I even bought a condo at Kaanapali Beach which is about two miles north of the fire-burned area. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon, My daughter learned to surf there when she was about 8 years old and scuba-dived when she was 14.

When my wife's second daughter ( first husband) was killed in an auto crash her ashes were put on the Ocean at Papaaua Beach Park which is south of Lahania about 8 miles and just past where the fire stopped. Lahania is between the Condo and our special beach, We even watched a baby whale being born along that same stretch of beach.

We even came VERY close to buying a 3-acre lot to build a second home just a mile or so south of there once in Launiupoko. That's where the fire pretty much ended. Oh god, that was a really a special place up on the side of the mountain with Lanai right across the ocean out what would have been the front door with the sun setting in the west. Really really perfect.

And the town of Lahani was really my/our home where our soul lived. Just perfect. Mai tai s at Kimos, diving with the Pacific Whale Foundation off their sailboat, Drinkin and dancing at the Pioneer Inn to all hours.................. Just a perfect place. I went over there once between marriages and stayed for almost a month. Didn't shave, wore the same pair of shorts for days, and just flip flops and t-shirts for weeks. I even turned down a job offer tending bar at the Pioneer Inn. The bartender said I had become a native and I needed a job so you can start right now if you want...................Damn near did!

All gone now.........................................................................................................

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great adventures Howard. It will never be the same, but will slowly be rebuilt. I hope the land owners aren’t scammed out of their property by greedy investors. Only was at Lahaina once but it was beautiful.
Thanks

Regards Brian

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I know it's a long video but worth a look. The devastation is incredible and for the vast majority of it was a very low income area where most of the people that worked in the service industry looking after tourists. Check it out !!!! I challenge all you rich GT40 owners to donate.

Such a tragedy in Lahaina. The loss of life is staggering and the destruction is unreal. Just so sad.

My kids and I have stayed in Kaanapali (just up the road) every year for the last 15 years. We were just there in April. It's been our vacation place since the kids were born. We've always tried to be respectful and thoughtful visitors to the island.

We've spent a lot of time in Lahaina - pretty much every restaurant or hang out spot or boat trip you can go on. We've come to appreciate the history in the place - the historical building for example had a lot of important items and photos/records. We've taken a picture of the kids next to the Banyan tree every year since they were born.

Said a little prayer for Lahaina and all on Maui - hoping the town can be re-established, and also hoping this tragedy doesn't cause resentment between the native Hawaiians and visitors. The Maui Electric Co. looks to be coming under scrutiny for not turning off the power because of the high winds and dry conditions. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Hopefully this doesn't just fade into the background of other news - Kardashians, Trump, Fed budget crisis, North Korea, Ukraine. Jeez, can everyone just chill out and give us a break?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Latest update. 1-19-24. If you want to keep up on this then subscribe to this channel. It's free and the guy does a good job.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I was following Eric West for a long time when Covid started. He was doing great things for the unemployed people in the food lines. I talked to him a couple times on the phone right after the fire. Since then I've only texted him wishing him well as I thinking he's not doing well. If anyone is following him on Youtube please wish him well.
March for us, It's nice to see the cleanup starting. It's sad to see all the protesting with respect the cleanup. Before people complain and protest they should have an alternate method that is better.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
We just got back from Maui, what a mess but still a great place to visit. Clean up is going well but the state of mind is sad, some services are limited. I will continue to go every year and hope the people can get back to work and living as before without government and big money takeover / displacement !!!

Back