My GTD is for sale

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
For Sale 1995 GTD GT-40 S/N GTD40P21390

This car was built with attention to detail and to perform equally well in city traffic or going all out on the track. This car will keep you cool in 95° stop and go city traffic without over heating and will turn 11.7's @ 125mph in the 1/4mi. The only thing that will hold this car back on a road course is driver experience; with a good driver it will run at the front of the pack. The current engine was installed on July '03 and has 1,900 miles on it. The tires were changed Sept '03. Current paint job and new stainless steel panels were installed January '04. The suspension bushings and springs as well as new brake pads were changed February '04. The interior carpet was changed March '04. The AC system was completely evacuated and recharged with a new receiver drier April '04 (I had to open the system when I replaced the aluminum panels with stainless steel panels). This car has been pampered (has it's own 2 1/2 car carpeted and climate controlled garage), and maintained to the highest standards and is always ready to drive or race at a moments notice. I am selling my car because I will be retiring to Huatulco Mexico next summer and I will not be able to drive it on the local streets with their 5" speed bumps and there are no tracks that it could be run on without traveling 2,000 miles. I am asking $65,000 (USD), which is a very realistic price for this very well built car. It would be very difficult to build or purchase a GT40, get it sorted out so that you can enjoy it with out getting stranded somewhere and perform as well as my car for less than $85,000 plus a couple of years of labor. Someone will have the chance to take advantage of my situation and save them self over $20,000 plus a couple of years of labor and start enjoying this GT-40 today. I have almost all of the receipts for the parts and labor that went into this car but I am afraid to add them up; however the new owner might find it interesting to do. If you want any further info include your phone number so that I can call you, I am not a typist and I have already worn out my fingers just putting this information together.

Press / Shows: Cover Car and feature article Kit Car Illustrated October '99 as well as being included in several other articles in later issues. Entered 8 shows, won 3 best of show, 7 first place and 1 best engine.

Body / Frame:
GTD supplied complete kit with body panels of fiberglass and tube frame.
Body was delivered in red gel coat. Body was then fit, sanded, pin holes filled, primed, more filling and painted 2002 Corvette red. Current paint job was completed January '04.
Frame came power coated red from GTD and is as delivered from GTD with the exception of being modified to house a 351W mated to a Porsche G50-52 transaxle mounted as low as possible to get the best possible center of gravity and half shaft angles.

Engine:
On a chassis dyno this engine made over 420hp with over 430ft/lb of torque at the wheels.
Ford Motorsport M-6009-A392 short block.
Heads: World Products cast iron Windsor Jr. with stage 2 porting and port matched to the intake manifold and the exhaust header flanges.
Induction: Assembled, detailed and set up by Ingleese, (4) 44mm IDF Webbers powder coated red with chrome screws and hardware mounted to a 302 manifold with spacers for use on a 351W. Manifold spacers have the added benefit of a longer induction runner which increases torque. Aeroquip stainless steel braided lines and aluminum fittings used throughout the fuel system.
Cam: Comp Cams #35-522-8.
Valve Train: Compcams roller lifters and roller rockers.
Cam Timing: Edelbrock Accu-Drive gear drive #7892.
Ignition: Electromotive HPV-1 crank trigger with 4 coils (no distributor).
Wires: Taylor Spiral Pro.
Oil Pan: Canton racing.
Oil Cooler: Moden.
Crankshaft Damper: Ford Motorsport M-6316-C351.
Headers: 4 into 1 non-bundle of snakes, Jet Hot coated and wrapped with Thermal Tech tape.
Mufflers: Custom made polished stainless steel.
Starter Motor: High Torque #101.

Drivetrain:
Transaxle: Porsche G50-52 5 speed with Quaife LSD and race-hardened gears built by Powerhause. Transaxle has been modified to run inverted and has 6 jets that spray oil on all 5 forward gears as well as the ring gear.
Clutch Pressure Plate: KEP high performance clutch made from billet aluminum (housing), that will hold 650 ft/lb of torque.
Clutch Disc: Porsche high performance disc.
Tilton Master cylinder with Porsche slave cylinder.
Shifter: Patrick Motorsports cable shifter PMPG50CS.
Flywheel: KEP custom made for 351W to G50 conversion.
Oil Pump: Tilton #17-522 which provides 2 gal / min @ 50psi.
Aeroquip stainless steel braided lines and aluminum fittings used throughout the transaxle oiling system.
Oil Cooler: Moden.
CV Joints: Fat Performance Porsche 930.
Axles: Fat performance Saw drive axles Porsche 930 CV 17 1/4" long.

Suspension / Brakes / Wheels / Tires:
Tilton master cylinder without booster.
Front: Wilwood 4 pot calipers clamping 13" curved vane rotors.
Unequal length control arms chrome plated as supplied from GTD with new poly bushings.
Spax adjustable coil over shocks with new 275lb. springs.
Standard sway bar as supplied from GTD.
Image 6 spoke 17" x 9" 3 piece with Yokohama AVS sport 255/40ZR17 tires (new).
Rear: Wilwood 4 pot calipers clamping 13" curved vane rotors.
Unequal length control arms with upper and lower radius arms chrome plated as supplied from GTD with new poly bushings.
Spax adjustable coil over shocks with new 350lb. springs.
Sway bar is 2mm larger than standard GTD sway bar.
Image 6 spoke 17" x 11" 3 piece with Yokohama AVS sport 315/35ZR17 tires (new).

Misc.
Electronic VDO speedometer that can be recalibrated for any wheel / tire or rear axle ratios.
RCI 5 point harness for both driver and passenger.
Radiator has been reworked to provide more engine cooling.
Dual Spal fans VA01-AP6-36A (as used on NASCAR) pull air through the radiator.
Oversized ac condenser mounted in front of the radiator for improved ac performance.
140amp one wire alternator provides plenty of power to run the fans, lights, AC and stereo at the same time.
Optima (yellow), high capacity battery (with 7 years left on the warranty), with custom stainless steel battery box.
Car has full flow lemans style nostril.
JVC Kamillon am/fm/cd player in dash and 4 Blaupunkt speakers in each door.
Modifications were made to the foot well / pedal assembly and the body / interior tub area to provide more head and legroom to accommodate a 6'-2" driver. I am 6'-2" and can fit comfortably in this car. If you are taller than this you may have problems fitting in this car (or any GT40, hello they are only 40" tall), with a helmet on.

For more info contact me at [email protected] or call 757 494-2137 (work), 757 474-3663 (home) after 1pm.

Attachments

• 43676-MyGT40outsidework.jpg
    43676-MyGT40outsidework.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 491
Rick,

I'll bet that you'll be sad to see it go bye-bye, but Mexico

doesn't sound too bad.

A great buy for somebody, that's for sure!

Will you still be working for Ford down there (Hecho en

Mexico Ford, that is)?

Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Huatulco is further South than Cancun but on the Pacific side. It is still fairly small so no industry to speak of. I am quite fond of the GT40 but I think that I can make the switch to a nice boat quite eaisly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I love the water and our lot over looks the marina so it will be possible to keep an eye on my new toy.

THE BADDEST GTD IN THE LAND. I would trade my GTD for your car and be laborer at your casa in Mexico. But I don't think you would want a slow GT with a lot of bling and no go and a slacker for work/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As I mention to you before, me Spousa and I plan to do the same as well. The name of the place is Lake Chapala. We got back from Mexico a month ago, I LOVE THAT PLACE!!

I have no doubt you will get what you are asking for, I only wish the guy leaves in California.

Bud, Dennis, Chris my be we can all buy this car together. You know, kind of like a community car. Bud would use it for racing, Denis to take to work, Chris to wrench on it and I will use for BLING when I go to Oakland on Saturdays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Faili, When I am settled in tu y tu esposa are more than welcome to come down for a vacation, I am building our home with 4 bedrooms, 2 of them master suites and all with terraces to enjoy the view just because I hope to have plenty of amigos coming down for some fun in the sun. Heck maybe you and Bud can make the trip together, more people = more fun remember that in January the temp will be about 90°.

If anyone on this forum is truly interested in owning a really well sorted, quick and gorgeous 40 here is your chance.This deal can't be equaled. One of you guys better jump on this sucker and I hope you are somewhere close to us Calif. crazies in the San Francisco Bay Area! Rick I hate to see this one leave you - you will miss the thrills!!

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I will miss the fun that this car has given me. I will also miss talking to 100's of complete strangers that wanted to know somthing about the little car as I filled it up with gas. If you own a car like the GT40 (replica or real), you have to be prepared to answer several questions from people who come from all walks of life and treat everyone with respect and kindness. I have seen other owners of replica GT40s actually refuse to show their engine to someone at a car show because they have already opened the rear bonnet 15min. earlier and they didn't want to open it again just because someone who looked as if they could not afford it wanted to look at it.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rick

First and foremost I sincerely want to thank you for the warm welcome and hospitality you and your beautiful wife extended to me. I was most appreciative for the time you spent answering all my questions and showing all the backup documentation regarding the GT40.

To All,

Anyone interested in this car, don’t miss the opportunity. This car, as mentioned above, only needs a competent driver to fill the shoes of the original owner. Rick obviously has painstakingly taken in account every detail in assembling this car. Till now I thought I was anal about detail, Rick has given me something to shoot for (Rick, I mean that as a compliment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Dollar for dollar, hp for hp, thrill for thrill – this car has it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif For someone wanting to step into a well maintained, documented and ‘turn key’ set up, you’d have to look far and wide to come across another. Undoubtedly a fair bargain and definitely no compromises were made in the assembly of this car.

I was certainly serious about purchasing this car (red eye flight from California to Virgina Beach and back in 20 hours) and in viewing first hand it truly is well represented by all discussions with Rick and here on this site. I left totally torn between snapping it up or leaving it for another to buy. Until analyzing my decision not to buy I was bewildered and second guessing my reasoning. The long and short of it is, in the event of purchasing Rick’s car I will be putting my current GT40 up for sale and therein lies my dilemma. Unbeknownst until this situation, I can’t seem to part with my current car.

So, your all lucky it’s still on the market! Although I am prodding one of my friends to buy it so it ends up in my neighborhood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim,

You are not the only one. Up to now, i have tried to keep quit!!! But I am in the same boat as you are. I have discussed the idea of buying Rick's car with wife (and then selling mine of). She is totaly kool with it BUUUT, she want's me to put mine up for sale NOW.

She DOES NOT believe I will sell mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Specially since I just got a brand new 347 motor. The truth is she might be right about me trying to keep both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Tim, Thank you for the compliments and the referral, it is always nice talking about cars with a car nut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My wife said that if you lived closer you would be a good friend for me so I think that you impressed her as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Faili, I think that you would have the same dilemma as Tim, you both have "bonded" with your cars (which are both very nice), and would have a great deal of separation anxiety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif if you sold them before you were truly ready to.

Everyone, To those of you who have e-mailed me for a few more pictures I decided to post them here with descriptions.

Interior shot from the right and left side. Note that I sit on a pad that is covered to look like the passenger seat. The seats were done when the carpet was grey but I like black better. This winter I was going to have the seats redone in black with red piping. The console was custom made out of sheet metal then I covered it to go with my new interior color choice.

Oh... That is a camera bracket by the passenger seat which can be removed in a min.

Attachments

• 44323-InteriorRandL100k.jpg
    44323-InteriorRandL100k.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 409

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I wanted to do something different with my dash so I made a thin sheet metal plate and covered it with a metalic silver decal. The gages hold it in place and removing it is as simple as removing the gages and indicator lights and puting them back. The sheet metal facia is not glued or riveted to the dash.

Attachments

• 44324-GT40Dash100k.jpg
    44324-GT40Dash100k.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 361

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Stainless steel panels in nostril area for detail, stainless battery box (underside of lid is insulated in the event of rollover and to meet track spec), stainless steel fan shroud custom made for my car (hepls greatly in colling the engine). Note the (2) very powerful Spal fans, they are only needed on the hottest of days or when in city stop and go traffic.

Attachments

• 44325-FrontEndFans100k.jpg
    44325-FrontEndFans100k.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 383
Back