Split rim wheels

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi All, maybe this is a naive question, but if it makes you laugh, thats good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Split rim wheels, do you change the tyres as normal or are you meant to split the rims? I guess sealing might be an issue if you do split them.
regards
Dave

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave,

I am going to assume that by "split rim" you really mean 3 piece wheels. If so, yes as per normal.

Split rim wheels used to be on trucks and proved to be very dangerous, because the separate rim piece was subject to becoming a projectile when initially filling the tire with air or if the tire were inadvertantly overfilled. More than one tireman was decapitated at worst or suffered severe brain damage at best when hit by one of these steel bands as he was usually leaning over the tire or squatting in front of it as it was being aired up. They have been outlawed for a while now I believe.

Lynn

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Lynn, yes I mean 3 piece wheels. I remember those split rim wheels. I suppose the reason for them was easier fitting, and I wondered whether that was the reason for the 3 piece wheels too. I think you are right in making the distinction between the terminology, so I will use the term '3 piece' for my Halibrand replicas from now on.
So if the reason for 3 pice wheels is not easier fitting, is it lightness? I guess because these wheels have a formed rim , they will have less weight inertia than a cast equivalent.
regrads
Dave

3 piece wheels are mostly for weight and strength, but they also are somewhat modular, so one center could be built with many different offsets just by changing the rim halves.

Also, it's cheaper to get spun rim halves made than to do a silly thing like machining an entire wheel from a massive billet which some people are doing.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
IMHO the main reason for 3 piece wheels is their modular design, as born2rev stated, this provides more versatility in providing center designs, proper offsets and wheel widths without having to manufacture or own many different sets of wheels.

Lynn

Keep in mind that while you can own virtually any number of offset combinations with only one center, putting them together and getting a perfect seal is best left to the professionals. I've heard some horror stories about amateurs trying it, with little or no success. That may depend on the individual wheel, but IMHO, it would be best not to take any chances, doing it yourself. The savings aren't worth the risk involved.
Most wheel manufacturers have a flat rate for re-sealing their wheels (the same for rim changes).

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
DO NOT TAKE THEM APART. Mount as a normal wheel, tire combo. I know which type you have, I had a set. They were fine and sealed good. I let them set for years and they held a fill very well. Taking them apart will FTU for sure.

If you are worried about the sealing in of air, run a nice neat bead of RTV around the seam before you mount your tires and let it cure.

Back