Any BMW 2002 People Around Here?

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, my Jensen Healey SCCA racer is coming along nicely. I've rebuilt the motor, got a full spec cage welded in, done a lot of suspension work to beef stuff up, and sourced a huge number of difficult to find parts to get this thing ready for tech inspection.

I have a question though. The Jensen had 4 and 5 speed boxes. Of course I want to use the better ratio 5 speed box. The problem is, this box is the same thing as the Getrag 5 speed close ratio boxes that were found in some BMW 2002s. Unobtainium. Estimates are some 4000 built worldwide, 600 or so that went into Jensens and the rest into 2002s that ordered the close ratio option.

Anyone know of sources of parts for these things, or, places that rebuild them? Better yet, know of one for sale? I'm trying to line up a spare because they are supposed to be fragile. I thought I'd ask if there were any 2002 people here that might be in the know.

Thanks,
Ron

The 5-speed Getrag 245/10 gearbox from the BMW320i (E21) of the early '80s should also fit. This is a close ratio dog-leg box also.

These used to be a fairly easy scrapyard find for J-H owners in the UK. The E21 BMWs had a nice habit of spinning in the wet, resulting in the rear suspension being smacked sideways under the car by the nearest kerb, or being totalled into a wall. Nowadays the 320i is probably just as rare as the 2002tii, but at least it's another option.

Good luck.

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks Rob, good info. I had read that owners do use that box, but, under IT rules for SCCA I'd be illegal to use it. Not that anyone would know, but I'm trying to stay 100% legal. However, there might be a rule that allows something like that if the original is no longer available, I need to check on that.

Ron

Keith

Isn't this a Vauxhall (GM) part? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember the JH block being a Vauxhall with Lotus TC heads, or have I been smoking something from Alabama which isn't cotton? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
The JH uses a Lotus motor, through and through. Lotus did test their cylinder head during development on a Vauxhall block, as I recall, before they had their own block. But, the JH motor is definitely a Lotus engine with all the good and bad that entails.

Those trannies on ebay look like the 320 trannies, but it is hard to tell. I'll check them again.

R

Keith

Cheers Ron for that info, I know I came across the Vauxhall connection down at my local tuning shop many years ago when the mechanics referred to the block as "Vauxhall based". When you think about it, the JH block is all alloy whereas Vauxhalls were making boat anchors at the time. Come to think of it, they still are..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back