1968 Mexican block 302 for sale

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
While looking through Hemmings for some other Ford stuff, I came on an ad from a guy in California named Alex Takessian who mentioned that he has a 1968 Ford Mexican block (C8M-)engine, complete, for sale, the short block for $500. Mexican blocks were two-bolt but high-nickel content with heavier main caps and are considered better for performance engines than standard 302 blocks. (actually you could probably have the whole engine, which he states runs, but the short block is what's desirable) His number is 619 298 9801, and his email is [email protected]. He knows about this posting.

Thanks Jim,
I am confused. I thought the 302 3" stroke blocks were introduced in America in late 1967 (w/ the C8__) and a few years later in Mexico? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Doesn't the C8M casting show it as a Mercury? (Z=mustang, A=Ford, O=Fairlane)

I wonder if the block has the "humps" on the front of the block? I also look for the "M" casting on the inside of the block.
Doc

Mexican blocks can be identified by casting numbers C8AM-B, 75ZY-AA, D1ZM-AA, among others, these blocks may be spotted by the "Hecho En Mexico" cast in the lifter valley.

Brett

[ QUOTE ]
Mexican blocks can be identified by casting numbers C8AM-B, 75ZY-AA, D1ZM-AA, among others, these blocks may be spotted by the "Hecho En Mexico" cast in the lifter valley.
Brett

[/ QUOTE ]
C=60's & 8=1968 & A=Ford & M=SVO? B=second engineering update (is that correct?)
D=70's & 1= 1971 & Z=Mustang M & AA=they start over after A-Z (except i & l) and start again at AA and go AB, AC, etc.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just checked the Mexican blocks in my (1) car and basement (2). They all have a D1OE-AA casting and a (big) M cast into the lifter gallery. I reclaimed all of my Mexican block 302's from local junkyards out of truck chassis (years ago). They all have the humps and M stamp. Of course, I'm sure they could show up anywhere and in any small block application. It's hard to find them anymore here in rebuildable condition.
Doc

might look a bit like this

Attachments

• 50449-Dsc00472a.jpg
    50449-Dsc00472a.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,697
Yep,these are the mexican blocks.I bought one lately and is in overhaul.
My block number has an Z wich means it comes from a Mustang and is from 1971.
If anyone is interested,I have a ctc in the states where I bought myne and I believe he still has good ones for sale at reasonable price

Fred

Brett, That's it! Do you have a pic of the front of the block that would show the humps that are unique to the M-block? (Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera)

Thanks Brett,
I think that is great tech for anyone that may not be familliar with the hump (it's on both sides). It's very easy to spot one.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep,these are the mexican blocks.I bought one lately and is in overhaul.
My block number has an Z wich means it comes from a Mustang and is from 1971.
If anyone is interested,I have a ctc in the states where I bought myne and I believe he still has good ones for sale at reasonable price

Fred

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Fred,

I wonder if you would mind letting me have the contact details for the guy in the states with these 302 mexican blocks please.
Are they bare blocks, short engines, or complete ?
What sort of money did the block cost you, and how much for shipping ?

If you don't want to openly post the details can you please send them to me in a personal message or email.

Many thanks.
John.

Back