Locating Spider Foot

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Looking under body diagrams #4.1 in the RF build manual, I am not clear from what point you measure 350mm from. The diagram shows measuring from the outer most, rear corner of the spider leg. I want to be certain it isn't measured from the rear of the foot that the bolts are drilled through. I may have been looking at this too long - can somewone clear my head!
Thanks, Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jim,

The 350 mm. is from the outside of the aluminium rear sill closure panel. The 30 mm. is the overhang from the chassis.

Any more problems please contact us.

Best wishes,

Robert

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Robert for your quick response - the confusion is on the other end of the 350mm - is it from the back of the shoe the bolts go through or the extreme outer rear corner of the leg that protrudes 30 mm out.
Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Its from the back or the shoe the bolts go through. Or in other words the rear-most part of the spider. On my car it's the black part, not the gray part that overhangs 30mm.

Hope this helps!

Dan.

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Dan,
Thats the way I have mounted it, but if you study the manual it is drawn from the outer rear corner which is closer to the front than the shoe.
Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Yes I agree that the picture in the manual leads you to believe it could be the other way. Ron already had the spider on my car mounted when I bought it so I know it right. Also, if you mock the rest of the body with the doors you will see that its the only way it can go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One thing to consider while installing your doors and the hood and rear bonnet is the fact that when you install the weather stripping it will change the alighment. I spent a day or so tweeking my doors and rear bonnet and had them perfect and when I added the weather stripping it changed EVERYTHING. At this stage it really did not matter because I was just seeing how thing worked and if I could really make it line up perfect... I still have a long way to go before I permantly mount the body, but I'm glad I found out now instead of after it was painted.

Guys, check and be double sure, as it sounds like you are mounting yours differently from mine - which if wrong, will require some serious explaining from Hershal who helped mount mine!

Attachments

• 53218-DSC02365.JPG
    53218-DSC02365.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 330

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hi Pat,
I think you could read this in the manual either way unless you've been there. I hoped Robert might come back and confirm. I believe yours is correct.
Thanks,Jim

Wow, this is interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Ron told me that Hershal helped him mount the body on his (now my) car. I know my panals fit because everything was together when I bought it and I fine tuned it after I got it home. I have the spider loose on the car now. The nose is still right where it was when I got it and the rear is also in the same location as when I got it. The doors are off of the car. I just went to the garage and doublechecked again and on my car it would seem impossable to have the body fit with my spider located where Pat's is. It racks the rear legs of the spider back and the doors would not even be close to fitting. I sat the door in place and it just would not fit.I also think that the nose would not fit because it would hit the radiator.

I'm not saying that Pat's is wrong, maybe RF made some changes sometime between his car and mine. In my case I do not see how mine would work any other way.

Ron told me that Hershal is in Aus. with Robert... I wish he would chime in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I hope you guys get this settled, because I'm getting close to popping holes as well. I was going to do mine the same as Pat , and not count the bolt/foot area. HMMMM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Maybe I should ask this question, who started drinking before or after they located the spider with ole Hersh ,,LOL This is going to be a intresting outcome.
or,,, who had to use more filler/glass to get the gaps right, or cut off more with the high speed ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well, I figured out how to post pictures here so I'll take some tomorrow and maybe we can solve this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Guys

Try this. If you have not done so, install your door striker plates to the chassis and set the door in place. This will locate the door where it MUST go. On my car the striker plate will not let the door go back any further than it does now. It would seem to me this verifies the location for the rest of the body.

Dan, I agree with your comments about the door striker, but they really have nothing to do with it. I located the doors, then located the spider as seen. No cutting or adding to the basic package, some filling to level the top, but the geometry on mine seems correct.

I wish someone else would chime in who has done this! I will say this - mine is set, and it aint' moving!

Once I get home I will re-read that section again!

This an attempt to post some pictures to explain the fitment of my body work. In all of these pictures I'm posting the body is just sitting on the chassis, nothing is bolted down however it is all set in the correct (for my car anyway) position. Notice that everything has an even gap
DSC00383.jpg

This showes the stricker plate. notice how it is tight against the door jamb. It will not allow the door to move any further back. My striker plates measure 3 5/8"

DSC00385.jpg

This shows what it would look like if the spider was mounted in position Pat shows. Again, the door strike will not allow the door to come back any further.

DSC00387.jpg

This shows that the body must be in the correct spot because the wheels are centered in the opening.

DSC00381.jpg

Pat, I second everything you said, I wish someone would chime in who has done it... and mine ain't movin' either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
By the way, where did you get that cool ruler with inches and mm on it?

Back